Deuterocanonical books

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mikaele
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mikaele

Guest
What do I say when somebody tells me that the ‘apocrypha’ is historically inaccurate? in a book I was reading, the author cited the example of ‘Sennacherib… the son of Shalmaneser… he was actually the son of Sargon.’ Also, he points to chronological and numerical discrepancies. Some help please…
 
I’ve been reading Jewish commentaries a lot, and the sages and rabbis agree that there are many discrepancies in the Bible. They believe that these scriptures are inspired by God, Blessed be His Name. So, they do not come to a screeching halt with any particular discrepancy.

Their purpose is to study the mystery of the discrepancy, to determine what God is communicating with it.

They also survey the differences and nuances of the Masoretic text versus the Septuagint to try to determine what they can glean from that study.

These discrepancies are not confined to the Deuterocanonical works.

One working hypothesis is that the scriptures, and particularly, different fragments of them, were written by people who were geographically separated, and then the final document that we have was put together.

The Jewish Talmud (“study” i.e. of the Torah) has been described as a university, where there are many friendly debates going on. with all the results tabulated for further consideration at any future time.

There are two creation accounts in Genesis, one after another, for example. If I’m not mistaken, there are supposedly three interwoven accounts of Noah’s flood.

In the New Testament, there are four gospels, with conflicting time sequences and interpretations. So, this phenomenon is all over the Bible.

I think I read that there are four men named James (Jacob) in the NT, and so the authorship of the epistle by that name is open to discussion, you might say.

And, of course, there are a number of women by the name of Mary (Miriam) in the gospels which leads to some confusion, sometimes.

These subjects do a wonderful thing for us, viz. make us get more acquainted with the Word of God.

I forget which one it was, but one of the early church fathers said that there were no scriptural problems that could not be solved.
 
What do I say when somebody tells me that the ‘apocrypha’ is historically inaccurate? in a book I was reading, the author cited the example of ‘Sennacherib… the son of Shalmaneser… he was actually the son of Sargon.’ Also, he points to chronological and numerical discrepancies. Some help please…
Yes, Sargon II, I think. There may have been some confusion in the text of Tobit(?) because Shalmaneser and Sargon were co-regents for while, and I even think they were brothers, but I could be wrong about that. One could probably find this out fairly easily on the Internet.

I would think this is only a problem if one thinks that the Bible must be absolutely accurate in even the most minor of historical details. If this is from the Book of Tobit, I don’t think one could argue that this discrepancy changes anything significant in the story.
 
What do I say when somebody tells me that the ‘apocrypha’ is historically inaccurate? in a book I was reading, the author cited the example of ‘Sennacherib… the son of Shalmaneser… he was actually the son of Sargon.’ Also, he points to chronological and numerical discrepancies. Some help please…
You can say any number of books in the Bible contain historical inaccuracies; they are not limited to the apocryphal/deuterocanonical books.
 
the book of sammuel 1 gives 4 different accounts of Saul meating David for the 1st time. should we remove it for the cannon? the Gospel of John gives Jesus overturning the tables in the temple at at different time then the other gospels, do we remove them from the cannon? this is what I ask of these people that do these things.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top