Devotion To Mary

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sister_Helena
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is so precious :D.
I thought so too when I heard it on a visit to the Chapel of the Miraculous Medal.

What is also interesting is of all her apparitions, this is the only time where she actually has a “chat” with the vissionary. All other apparition (as far as I know) were at a certain distance from the seer. St Catherine sat next to our Lady (who was sitting on a chair) and St Catherine even had her hand on her lap while they talked. And she chatted with her for around 3 hours. Talk about getting up close and personal with our lady.

I think this is because of that request she did when she was still a child asking Our Lady to be her mother.🙂

 
Wow . . . Makes me almost wish I was St. Catherine Laboure rather than me . . . But we’ll all have that proximity with Mary in Heaven, one day. So exciting! 😃 It’s amazing the kinds of things that God actually does! He just doesn’t know boundaries!
 
Ah, devotion to Mary…

Any advice for anyone in my situation?

As a lifelong catholic, I’ve always admired her, read many books about her, pray the rosary, have holy cards bearing her image, talk to her in my own words every day, novenas, have stopped at chapels dedicated to her, etc etc, but still have a very difficult time relating to her on a personal level. I just don’t feel close to her. 😦 For a long time I’ve longed to know a mother/daughter relationship with Our Lady but for some reason that remains something to be grasped at.

It’s like admiring a beautiful painting, a wonderful historical figure. The admiration is there, I learn about her often, but there is always that great distance. shrug Don’t know why. It bothers me although I accept it. My priest told me to talk to Mary about the very topic in my prayers, to bring it to her and put it in her hands. I’ve done that but there still seems to be a block. By the way, I have a good relationship with my own earthly mother :), for some reason I have never been able to feel close to Mary although I would love to. I would describe my relationship with Jesus as intimate.

Any suggestions or insight? Thank you 🙂
You give a profound witness of living an honorable life! Faith before feelings-as the Good Sister Helene so wisely pointed out! Thank you for sharing your “dark night of the soul” with regard to our Holy Mother. Perhaps you are specially chosen, as was Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta, to suffer that unique absence of intimacy, so that others who are blatantly offending God and His Mother, might have the grace of repentance and conversion. Think of how Our dear Lady may have used your devotion to Her to win souls during the recent scandal at Notre Dame. You will come to know the effects of your offering of love to Her in time, dear friend. Thank you for your admirable loyalty and love for Her and Her Son…the Church needs you and blesses you.:angel1:
 
I would like to bring this topic back to its original intent. What attributes of Mary do you wish to imitate? What memorable words spoken by her resound in your heart and mind? I will always remember Mary’s words to St. Bernadette in Lourdes: “I do not promise you happiness on earth, only in the next.” What beautiful, beautiful words!
 
I would like to bring this topic back to its original intent. What attributes of Mary do you wish to imitate? What memorable words spoken by her resound in your heart and mind? I will always remember Mary’s words to St. Bernadette in Lourdes: “I do not promise you happiness on earth, only in the next.” What beautiful, beautiful words!
Oh, I agree with you wholeheartedly, dear Sister! After seeing the movie, “Song of Bernadette” when I was young, I chose St.Bernadette as my confirmation Saint because of her having been favored my Our Heavenly Mother. My desire to imitate Mary’s docility and obedience, in offering my “fiat” every moment of every day, is my constant prayer.

I have a very strong will and people say I am very opinionated and controlling. That is why I make this petition in earnest.

My favorite words of Our Lady were spoken to St.Juan Diego when she said, “Am I not here, am I not your Mother? Are you not in the folds of my mantle?”

:byzsoc:
 
I would like to bring this topic back to its original intent. What attributes of Mary do you wish to imitate? What memorable words spoken by her resound in your heart and mind? I will always remember Mary’s words to St. Bernadette in Lourdes: “I do not promise you happiness on earth, only in the next.” What beautiful, beautiful words!
Thanks for bringing us back on topic.

I think I would try to imitate Our Lady’s profound humility, probably second only to Our Lord, Himself. I think this virtue is perhaps at the heart of all others.

Mary of Agreda said of this humility in Mystical City of God:

“384. When in her childhood it was necessary to accept any service or benefit at the hands of her parents or of any other creature, She always received it with interior humility and thankfulness, beseeching the Lord to reward the good which they did in love toward Her. Though She had attained such a high degree of sanctity and though She was filled with the light of God and his mysteries, She nevertheless judged Herself to be the least of all creatures, and whenever She made comparisons, She ascribed to herself the last place of all. Even of the nourishment necessary to sustain life, She considered Herself unworthy, though She was the Queen and Mistress of all creation.”

In Our Mother’s own words to Mary of Agreda, she says:

“385. My daughter, he that received more ought to consider himself more needy, since his debt becomes so much the greater. All should humiliate themselves since of themselves they are nothing, nor can they do anything or possess ought. On this account they that are raised up by the hand of the Almighty, should humiliate themselves as mere dust. For, left to themselves and to their nothingness and unworthiness, they should esteem themselves so much the more indebted and bound to thankfulness for that which by themselves they can never repay. Let man acknowledge its condition: for no one can say: I have made myself, I preserve myself in existence, I can prolong my life or postpone death. All his being and preservation is in the hands of the Lord; let each one therefore humble himself in his presence, and thou, my dearest, do not forget these truths.” ·

· “Mystical City of God”, in which the nature of God is described by Sister Mary of Agreda, born in Spain on April 2, 1602, and given her in private revelation. The book whose original Spanish version was translated into English by Fiscar Marison which he began in 1902, was then published by the W. B. Conkey, Co., of Hammond IN.
 
Has devotion to Mary made your spiritual life richer? In what ways?
 
Has devotion to Mary made your spiritual life richer? In what ways?
yes! 🙂 in so many ways… it’s really brought me closer to God. She helped me get over a sin that I struggled with for years. She helps me to love God when I don’t know how to love Him or have no more strength left. She also helped me several times when I was near despair. I’m so glad that there’s devotion to Mary in the Church 🙂
 
Has devotion to Mary made your spiritual life richer? In what ways?
She leads me closer to her precious Son, Our Lord Jesus through the praying of the rosary. I believe it was our dear Blessed Mother Mary that led me to the Catholic church last year. 🙂
 
She leads me closer to her precious Son, Our Lord Jesus through the praying of the rosary. I believe it was our dear Blessed Mother Mary that led me to the Catholic church last year. 🙂
me too! 🙂 I became Catholic last year and I believe this was through Our Lady’s intercession.

👍
 
me too! 🙂 I became Catholic last year and I believe this was through Our Lady’s intercession.

👍
Hi Monica 🙂 , It’s really great to hear that. Our dear Blessed Mother Mary is so kind and loving isn’t she. x
 
The Blessed Virgin led me back to the Church after a thirty year absence. But even in my years as an atheist, there was always a special place in my heart were she dwelled. How wonderful is that! She waited patiently and never abandoned me, even when I neglected her. And now that I have returned, she does not reproach me for my years of neglect, but instead wraps her mantle around me and takes me to her maternal bosom as her lost child come home. ❤️
 
The Blessed Virgin led me back to the Church after a thirty year absence. But even in my years as an atheist, there was always a special place in my heart were she dwelled. How wonderful is that! She waited patiently and never abandoned me, even when I neglected her. And now that I have returned, she does not reproach me for my years of neglect, but instead wraps her mantle around me and takes me to her maternal bosom as her lost child come home. ❤️
Please pray for my two older sons, Dominic and Francis…I know that Our sweet Mother has designs on them, but they seem so hardened to the Faith.
Precious Lady of Good Remedy, place your loving mantle over them and bring them home to Jesus.+ Amen.
 
I love Mother Mary with a passion. I would not be talking to you fine folks if Mary didn’t show me her son. Mary is the perfect mother for all of us and we should love and be devoted to her immaculate heart.
 
I love Mother Mary with a passion. I would not be talking to you fine folks right now if Mary didn’t show me her son. Mary is the perfect mother for all of us and we should love and be devoted to her immaculate heart.
 
I love Mother Mary with a passion. I would not be talking to you fine folks if Mary didn’t show me her son. Mary is the perfect mother for all of us and we should love and be devoted to her immaculate heart.
You will be in my Rosary today and during Lent as I pray for vocations for my own family! God Bless you and Mary keep you!
 
May Crowning is a beautiful devotion to Our Lady. It is also beautiful because in our Congregation we traditionally crown Mary on Mother’s Day which makes it even special.
 
I’m developing a stronger devotion to our Blessed Mother. No doubt she’s been interceding and watching over my family for a long time

Many years ago (in the 70’s I believe) my mom’s car broke down and seeing how cell phones weren’t around yet, she was trying to get a ride from passing cars. She didn’t speak english very well and wasn’t entirely sure of the the area she was in. A guy in a truck picked her up and my mom told him she wanted to go to her house. He said something along the lines of “not your house, my house.” They went back and forth on this for a few minutes and it was obvious the guy had no intention of taking my mom to her house. So at the next stoplight she got out of the car and ran to the first house she saw. She frantically knocked and as soon as the door opened she saw a portrait of Our Lady of Guadalupe on one of the walls inside the house and she knew instantly she was safe.

In my own life, Our Lady of Guadalupe has played a huge part in leading me back to the Church. Prior to this year, I hadn’t gone to Church in 8-9 years. In the process of coming back I had many doubts, many questions and it was in reading a book on Our Lady of Guadalupe that I knew this was indeed "the Church."I felt a connection to Our Lady I hadn’t felt before. It’s hard to explain, but for the first time it really dawned on me that’s she’s my spiritual mother and wants to lead us Christ. I felt a closeness to her I had never felt before. If I remember correctly I started praying the rosary around this time (it was only in January/February of this year, but so much has happened…the details are kinda fuzzy LOL) I still had questions about the Church and it’s teachings, but in due time those were answered. The image our Our Lady of Guadalupe did for me what it’s been doing for hundreds of years: leading her spiritual children to her beloved Son and our Savior. 🙂
 
I’m developing a stronger devotion to our Blessed Mother. No doubt she’s been interceding and watching over my family for a long time

Many years ago (in the 70’s I believe) my mom’s car broke down and seeing how cell phones weren’t around yet, she was trying to get a ride from passing cars. She didn’t speak english very well and wasn’t entirely sure of the the area she was in. A guy in a truck picked her up and my mom told him she wanted to go to her house. He said something along the lines of “not your house, my house.” They went back and forth on this for a few minutes and it was obvious the guy had no intention of taking my mom to her house. So at the next stoplight she got out of the car and ran to the first house she saw. She frantically knocked and as soon as the door opened she saw a portrait of Our Lady of Guadalupe on one of the walls inside the house and she knew instantly she was safe.

In my own life, Our Lady of Guadalupe has played a huge part in leading me back to the Church. Prior to this year, I hadn’t gone to Church in 8-9 years. In the process of coming back I had many doubts, many questions and it was in reading a book on Our Lady of Guadalupe that I knew this was indeed "the Church."I felt a connection to Our Lady I hadn’t felt before. It’s hard to explain, but for the first time it really dawned on me that’s she’s my spiritual mother and wants to lead us Christ. I felt a closeness to her I had never felt before. If I remember correctly I started praying the rosary around this time (it was only in January/February of this year, but so much has happened…the details are kinda fuzzy LOL) I still had questions about the Church and it’s teachings, but in due time those were answered. The image our Our Lady of Guadalupe did for me what it’s been doing for hundreds of years: leading her spiritual children to her beloved Son and our Savior. 🙂
Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. I want to share this with you as well:

ascendingcarmel.wordpress.com/2009/12/11/our-lady-of-guadalupe/
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top