Diabetics Fasting?

• Thread starter Thread starter magdelena_paris
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

magdelena_paris

I’m not sure if this is the place to post this but…

I’m hypoglycemic and borderline diabetic (doctor’s say i will be fully diabetic by the time I’m 30 or if i get pregnant). So what about fasting, i’m curious about doing it, but i’m not sure if i can because i have to eat every few hours. Is there another way of going about this?

I am under the impression that fasting should be done by those who are NOT under any kind of serious health condition. I am no doctor, but I would think you would be exempt from fasting. I do know that there are normally foods that you will avoid anyway to prevent the diabetes from developing any worse.

I would consult the Catechism of the Catholic Church (but I had a difficult time finding anything there). BUT I would consult Canon Law. There I am sure there is more explaination.

Go with God!
Edwin

Thank you very much…I’ll try to find it in the canon law. I wonder though, the foods that i can still eat but may cause my diabetes to develop, if I stop eating those, would that be considered fasting or just doing what is healthy?

I understand that you can talk with your priest and explain your health problem to him and receive a dispensation to consume something appropriate before receiving communion.
maggiec

If you must eat at certain intervals to avoid impairing your health, and avoid certain foods, so be it. You can still practice penance by eating your least favorite of the foods you are allowed, and by choosing water instead of coffee or tea. You could also practice other types of penance instead of fasting, for example abstaining from the use of radio, television, computer and the telephone.

The general point of fasting is to deny ourselves of something so as to improve our opennes to God. When we hunger or thirst, we feel -physically- that we are in need. And when we are in need, we turn to Him who can give us strength to persevere despite what is lacking.

Fasting means witholding yourself from something, or denying yourself for love of God.

When you fast, you can deny yourself of anything; not just food. For example I can deny myself an hour of TV, or a week of going to that website that has everything I want to buy, or I can cook using only the stove and not the microwave, etc.

By fasting for the Lord, I detach myself from Things. In this giving up, I am empowered to truelly offer up my life to Jesus. Reminding me that living is for Jesus, not for food, or compliments, or anything else that is gratifying.

Many fruits come from fasting. Whatever results from your fasting, if it is sincere and persevering, will always be good and plentiful.

God’s Blessings,

Brian Castro

In the Penitential Practices for Catholics brochure published by the American bishops a year or two ago, positive penitential practices are encouraged, if not 5mandatory, when Friday fasting is dispensed with.

These would include almsgiving, Corporal and Spiritual works of mercy, etc.

I also think (gospel according to Robin here) that we too often forget the value of offering things up today. For instance, on a Friday, having been invited to eat at a friend’s home, instead of hurting her feelings by refusing the meat entree, I will often take a little, and offer up not being able to abstain. I also do this every Sunday when I bow instead of genuflecting before receiving Our Lord in Holy Communion.

Sometimes, it is a witness to others to see us Catholics joyfully abstaining in honor of Christ’s sacrifice for us, but sometimes, I find that I tend to a little self-righteousness, hoping that others will accomodate me.

If you are fasting for religious purposes, the suggestion of eating something you dislike is a good suggestion.

I would also bring this up with my priest and see if he has any suggestions for you.

In Christ’s peace and joy,

Robin L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back