Diaconal Ordination

  • Thread starter Thread starter Frankk
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frankk

Guest
Is there anywhere online I can find the Rite for the Ordination of Deacons?

Thanks.
 
John,

Many thanks - especially for the speedy response.

Is this the Rite for ordination to deacon for those undergoing training for the priesthood?

I ask because part of the oath is a commitment to celibacy and, as far as I know, this does not apply to those being ordained as permanent deacons and who are already married.

Unmarried deacons are required to be celibate as are widowed deacons - but not married deacons. How is this reflected in the Rite?

Thanks again.
 
John,

Many thanks - especially for the speedy response.

Is this the Rite for ordination to deacon for those undergoing training for the priesthood?

I ask because part of the oath is a commitment to celibacy and, as far as I know, this does not apply to those being ordained as permanent deacons and who are already married.

Unmarried deacons are required to be celibate as are widowed deacons - but not married deacons. How is this reflected in the Rite?

Thanks again.
It is simply omitted from the rite. We had 9 men ordained in my class in December. 8 are married, as am I. One was widowed during our last year of formation. He was the only one who was given and agreed to this promise of celibacy in the rite. We were given and accepted the vow of “conditional celibacy”, which simply means we cannot remarry if something were to happen to our wives.

The bishop read each of the vows we took to the whole group until he got to the vow of celibacy, then he addressed only the one, then he continued with the entire group.

And to one of the other questions, the ordination rite for the transitional deacon is the same rite as in the ordination of permanent deacons. There is only one diaconate, used for two distinct purposes. There is only one sacrament of Holy Orders.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top