N
Nullasalus
Guest
And that’s pretty much what I meant about the application of philosophy by people who are sloppy and, really, out of their depth. Linde’s theory is so premature that we don’t know if it’s even going to turn out right, or if it does turn out right with what caveats, etc. On what basis does he say that the model is more friendly to polytheism or atheism? What understanding is there, other than ‘Well, this is what Linde thinks’, which may well be ‘Well, this is what Linde would like to believe’?Before I read about cosmic inflation, I thought science has established that time and space came into existence when the big bang singularity expanded. Nope, some cosmologists argue that there is something before that… Cosmology is not as simple as it superfically seems. As Alec pointed out, there are some reasons to doubt eternal inflation.
I would be happy to say “good riddence” to eternal inflation. Actually, if I had to pick a multiverse hypothesis, I would prefer the cyclic model or Smolin black hole reproduction model.
Then he mentions that the laws of the universe work so precisely that no intervention is needed to sustain it. He construes from this the lack of a need for a creator God (Yet, somehow, the idea is friendly to polytheism), without addressing the natural question of whether those laws were themselves designed.
Which is why I said what I did about MWI. I’ve seen it cited repeatedly in discussion as ‘proof against God’ - so much so that I think arguing that MWI supports the idea of God (an eternally creating Creator who not only redeems all that is created, but allows those redeemed to join with Him in a task worthy of the eternal life He grants) would lead to the reaction I described. I see the same reaction by some when anyone both accepts evolution yet sees it as the means by which God created man. They short-circuit, because that’s not what they want the idea to do.