B
brb2
Guest
Paraphrasing Christ in the Gospel account …‘Unless he shall have eaten My flesh he shall not have eternal life’, Augustine says this of Christ’s words in one of his Sermons.
Some understood this foolishly, and thought of it carnally, and supposed that the Lord was going to cut off some parts of His body to give them … But, he instructed them and said : “It is the spirit that gives life; but the flesh profits nothing: the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.” Understand spiritually what I said. You are not to eat this body which you see, nor to drink that blood which will be poured out by those who will crucify Me. I have commended to you a certain Sacrament; spiritually understood, it will give you life. And even if it is necessary that this be celebrated visibly, it must be understood invisibly.
Isn’t this the general Protestant understanding … not the Catholic concept ?
Some understood this foolishly, and thought of it carnally, and supposed that the Lord was going to cut off some parts of His body to give them … But, he instructed them and said : “It is the spirit that gives life; but the flesh profits nothing: the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.” Understand spiritually what I said. You are not to eat this body which you see, nor to drink that blood which will be poured out by those who will crucify Me. I have commended to you a certain Sacrament; spiritually understood, it will give you life. And even if it is necessary that this be celebrated visibly, it must be understood invisibly.
Isn’t this the general Protestant understanding … not the Catholic concept ?