Did Jesus feel every human emotion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KendraDZ1902
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KendraDZ1902

Guest
Jesus didn’t “fall in love” right? People say that Jesus understands your feelings because He was both divine AND human, but he didn’t feel all of our feelings, did he?

This idea popped into my head as I was praying before Mass Sunday. I was praying for the graces to get over my feelings of this divorce. (yes, sorry, divorce, again.) And unless it was is scripted prayer I sometimes speak rather bluntly, like I do in daily life anyway, so I looked at the crucifix and basically asked/said, " I mean, I know you were here on earth and you had human feelings, but do you really understand MY feelings right now? I can say that I am hurt and feel betrayed, which really isn’t the right words I don’t know the words to how I feel, and sure you were hurt and betrayed, but not by the person you vowed to be with for life. Like, this is deep. You knew that your time was coming, I didn’t get this memo. How do you know how I feel?"

So, Jesus doesn’t come sit on my bed and chat with me. I would have a heart attack and die if He did, so I came here.

Thoughts?
 
As fully human Jesus would have experienced emotion just like we do, though the Bible doesn’t mention romantic love specifically. We know he is perturbed (John 11:33), he weeps (John 11:35), is moved with pity (Matthew 9:36), experiences agony (Luke 22:44), and gets angry (Matthew 21:12)–all very human things.

But, Jesus is also fully God. He knows what you’re going through. St Paul says “In the same way, the Spirit too comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit itself intercedes with inexpressable groanings. And the one who searches our hearts knows what is the intention of the Spirit, because it intercedes for the holy ones according to God’s will.” (Romans 8:26-27).
 
Jesus didn’t “fall in love” right? People say that Jesus understands your feelings because He was both divine AND human, but he didn’t feel all of our feelings, did he?

This idea popped into my head as I was praying before Mass Sunday. I was praying for the graces to get over my feelings of this divorce. (yes, sorry, divorce, again.) And unless it was is scripted prayer I sometimes speak rather bluntly, like I do in daily life anyway, so I looked at the crucifix and basically asked/said, " I mean, I know you were here on earth and you had human feelings, but do you really understand MY feelings right now? I can say that I am hurt and feel betrayed, which really isn’t the right words I don’t know the words to how I feel, and sure you were hurt and betrayed, but not by the person you vowed to be with for life. Like, this is deep. You knew that your time was coming, I didn’t get this memo. How do you know how I feel?"

So, Jesus doesn’t come sit on my bed and chat with me. I would have a heart attack and die if He did, so I came here.

Thoughts?
He probably never experienced falling in love directly, because he knew that married love was not part of his mission. But he would have loved everyone with the love of a father, brother, and (in the case of his earthly parents) son.

He also would have experienced feelings similar to falling in love (but not exactly, of course), with respect to the Church, because he constantly referred to himself as the Bridegroom and the Church as his Bride.

One emotion that Jesus could never have experienced was despair. Desolation, yes (in the Agony in the Garden, or on the Cross when he said, “My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?”), but never despair, because he always had the Beatific Vision.

In any case, Jesus is the Creator of our emotions, so he understands them even better than we do!
 
Jesus didn’t “fall in love” right? People say that Jesus understands your feelings because He was both divine AND human, but he didn’t feel all of our feelings, did he?

This idea popped into my head as I was praying before Mass Sunday. I was praying for the graces to get over my feelings of this divorce. (yes, sorry, divorce, again.) And unless it was is scripted prayer I sometimes speak rather bluntly, like I do in daily life anyway, so I looked at the crucifix and basically asked/said, " I mean, I know you were here on earth and you had human feelings, but do you really understand MY feelings right now? I can say that I am hurt and feel betrayed, which really isn’t the right words I don’t know the words to how I feel, and sure you were hurt and betrayed, but not by the person you vowed to be with for life. Like, this is deep. You knew that your time was coming, I didn’t get this memo. How do you know how I feel?"

So, Jesus doesn’t come sit on my bed and chat with me. I would have a heart attack and die if He did, so I came here.

Thoughts?
Jesus experienced all the human emotions because He was fully human but He understood our emotions like no human because He was God. God gave us the capacity to have emotions. God created man and woman to be together and love each other as The Son loves the Father. Out of our love, we conceive and deliver a baby similar to the Holy Spirit being sent by the Father and the Son. We humans only experience a limited love when compared to God’s Love.

God understands us better than we can ever understand ourselves!

Feeling hurt and betrayed? Think of Jesus as He hung from the cross! Jesus came to save everyone even the ones who nailed His hands and feet to the cross. Talk about ultimate love. I understand you feel hurt and betrayed but not to the depth that Jesus felt it.

I pray that God gives you grace to use this pain for His Glory; to join your pain to Christ Jesus’ pain so your suffering brings you closer to God. Please pray on this. God Bless you.
 
:bible1::bible1:
Philippians 2: 6-11:
Christ Jesus, who, although He was God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped at, instead, He emptied Himself, taking the form of a slave, and being made like men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10so that at the name of Jesus every lee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
:bible1:
 
Absolutely. Yes.
That’s the whole point of the Incarnation.
No one can ever claim that God just doesn’t “get it” because He’s God.
He redeemed us AND He became one of us.
He was truly Divine, but also truly human. The emotions are part of the deal. 😉
 
Praying that you will take the hand of God and let Him lead you to where he wants you to be–new life in Him. Truth, love, peace, and happiness. Letting Go and Letting God. He loves you and knows what is best better than we do.
 
Jesus MAY HAVE felt romantic love, but kept that emotion under control because 1. it could lead to sin but more importantly 2. it would interfere with His mission to be a Sacrifice for the sins of the world.
 
Absolutely. Yes.
That’s the whole point of the Incarnation.
No one can ever claim that God just doesn’t “get it” because He’s God.
He redeemed us AND He became one of us.
He was truly Divine, but also truly human. The emotions are part of the deal. 😉
👍
 
Feeling hurt and betrayed? Think of Jesus as He hung from the cross! Jesus came to save everyone even the ones who nailed His hands and feet to the cross. Talk about ultimate love. I understand you feel hurt and betrayed but not to the depth that Jesus felt it.
.
I stated in my OP that I knew that he felt those emotions. I’m not minimizing His feelings.
 
I didn’t say he didn’t love. 🤷
In my response to your post, I gave my opinion in post 11.
Jesus did not have to “fall in love.”
The Good Shepherd loved from the beginning. John 3:16
​
I do believe I am allowed to give my opinion in my post. I am sincerely sorry that you took my post in the wrong way.
 
In my response to your post, I gave my opinion in post 11.
Jesus did not have to “fall in love.”
The Good Shepherd loved from the beginning. John 3:16
​
I do believe I am allowed to give my opinion in my post. I am sincerely sorry that you took my post in the wrong way.
Well, aren’t you a bit sassy. Take a chill pill. There are certainly different degrees of love. Yes, he loved us enough to become man and die for us. I just don’t think Jesus ever had marriage/sexual relationship problems. And He knew very well what He was getting Himself into (a total plus of being divine) while me being a mere human, I don’t have those capabilities.

If you wish to be sassy again (which is the nicest thing I can say about your little post here) just don’t reply. K? Because I, like, invented sassy and you haven’t seen any of it, yet. 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top