S
Sanmaka
Guest
A friend commented that Jesus laid down His divinity during His passion and death. I disagree with her but would like to know what the church teaches on this position.
Maybe you could say He laid it down in the sense He voluntarily accepted circumscription and limitation, “emptying Himself, taking the form of a servant.” There is no time that He ceased being God.A friend commented that Jesus laid down His divinity during His passion and death. I disagree with her but would like to know what the church teaches on this position.
I agree.Maybe you could say He laid it down in the sense He voluntarily accepted circumscription and limitation, “emptying Himself, taking the form of a servant.” There is no time that He ceased being God.
Death is a property of biological organisms, and occurs when homeostasis can no longer be maintained; a rock is not “dead,” because it was never alive. God is not a biological organism, and therefore was never alive and could have never died; only the human form that God entered into died while he continued to exist.Because an aspect of divinity involves eternity and deathlessness, it was necessary for Him to set aside the power of His divinity in order to die.
He did not however cease to be divine; one cannot set aside one’s nature.
Having died as a human being, the power of His divinity came through and raised Him.
IIUC!!!
God Bless and ICXC NIKA
she should clarify her terms.A friend commented that Jesus laid down His divinity during His passion and death. I disagree with her but would like to know what the church teaches on this position.
Did you ask her where she may have heard that from?
Jesus to Catalina:The Passion - loveandmercy.org/Eng-TP-Reg.pdf
**4) My Passion… What an abyss of bitterness enclosed in itself!
- How mistakenly afar from understanding are those who think only about the terrible sufferings of My Body.**
Jesus to Catalina:The Passion - loveandmercy.org/Eng-TP-Reg.pdf
**1) Nobody really believes that I sweat blood that night at Gethsemane, and few believe that I suffered much more in those hours than in the Crucifixion. It was more sorrowful because it was clearly revealed to Me that the sins of everyone were made Mine and that I should answer for each one. Thus I, being innocent, answered to the Father as if I were really guilty of dishonesty and I, being pure, answered to the Father as if I were stained of all the impurities committed by you, My brothers and sisters. You dishonor God who created you to be instruments of the greatness of Creation and not to stray from the nature given you with the purpose of having it gradually behold the sight of the purity of Me, your Creator.
- Therefore, I was made a thief, a murderer, an adulterer, a liar, a sacrilegious person, a blasphemer, slanderer and a rebel to the Father whom I have always loved.
- It was precisely this contrast between My Love for the Father and His Will that caused My sweating blood. But I obeyed until the end and for love of everyone, I covered Myself with the stain so that I could do My Father’s Will and save you from eternal damnation.
- Consider how many agonies more than human I had that night and, believe Me, nobody could alleviate such anguish because, on the contrary, I was seeing how each one of you devoted yourself to making cruel at every moment the death given to Me because of the offenses whose ransom I have paid in full. I want it to be known once again how I loved all mankind at that hour of abandonment and indescribable sadness…**
I hope I have helped.The Passion - loveandmercy.org/Eng-TP-Reg.pdf
27) “Father, if it is possible, take this Cup away from Me, but let not My Will but Yours be done.” I said this at the height of bitterness, when the burden weighing down on Me had become so bloody that My Soul found itself in the most unbelievable darkness. I said so to the Father because, when I assumed all guilt, I presented Myself before Him as the only sinner against whom all His Divine Justice was discharged. And feeling deprived of My Divinity, only humanity appeared before Me.
Well He is “fully human” but I think I know what you mean.Thank you everyone for your replies. I will clarify her comments next time I see her, however I understood her to mean that Jesus laid down his divinity and was fully human when He died on the cross. It didn’t sound right to me, but I wanted to be sure I understood correctly before I speak to her about it.
Pope Benedict XVI wrote:Repeating from the Cross the first words of Psalm 22[21] “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” — “My God my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mt 27:46); uttering the words of the Psalm, Jesus prays at the moment of his ultimate rejection by men, at the moment of abandonment; yet he prays, with the Psalm, in the awareness of God’s presence, even in that hour when he is feeling the human drama of death.A friend commented that Jesus laid down His divinity during His passion and death. I disagree with her but would like to know what the church teaches on this position.
My guess is she meant from Christ dying words (My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?). It is definitely an interesting passage. Not Father, but God.Thank you everyone for your replies. I will clarify her comments next time I see her, however I understood her to mean that Jesus laid down his divinity and was fully human when He died on the cross. It didn’t sound right to me, but I wanted to be sure I understood correctly before I speak to her about it.
A friend commented that Jesus laid down His divinity during His passion and death. I disagree with her but would like to know what the church teaches on this position.
The faithful Jews around the cross at the time knew the psalms and the simple act of Christ quoting the opening lines was the equivalent of quoting the opening line to a popular song today. Everyone around him would instantly know that to be the opening line of a psalm that decries the despair of the psalmist, who even so goes on to declare God’s undying loyalty and the promise of hope everlasting. It was signifying to those present what the true meaning of His passion was.Pope Benedict XVI wrote:Repeating from the Cross the first words of Psalm 22[21] “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” — “My God my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mt 27:46); uttering the words of the Psalm, Jesus prays at the moment of his ultimate rejection by men, at the moment of abandonment; yet he prays, with the Psalm, in the awareness of God’s presence, even in that hour when he is feeling the human drama of death.
However a question arises within us: how is it possible that such a powerful God does not intervene to save his Son from this terrible trial? It is important to understand that Jesus’ prayer is not the cry of one who meets death with despair, nor is it the cry of one who knows he has been forsaken. At this moment Jesus makes his own the whole of Psalm 22[21], the Psalm of the suffering People of Israel. In this way he takes upon himself not only the sin of his people, but also that of all men and women who are suffering from the oppression of evil and, at the same time, he places all this before God’s own heart, in the certainty that his cry will be heard in the Resurrection: “The cry of extreme anguish is at the same time the certainty of an answer from God, the certainty of salvation — not only for Jesus himself, but for ‘many’” (Jesus of Nazareth, II, pp. 213-214 Ignatius Press, San Francisco 2011).
In this prayer of Jesus are contained his extreme trust and his abandonment into God’s hands, even when God seems absent, even when he seems to be silent, complying with a plan incomprehensible to us. In the * Catechism of the Catholic Church* we read: “in the redeeming love that always united him to the Father, he assumed us in the state of our waywardness of sin, to the point that he could say in our name from the cross: ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’” (n. 603). His is a suffering in communion with us and for us, which derives from love and already bears within it redemption, the victory of love.
vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/audiences/2012/documents/hf_ben-xvi_aud_20120208_en.html