C
calmthesea
Guest
David,You stated, “Jesus came for His disciples to go and make disciples of all nations. Greek would have been a very important tool. Aramaic would not”. My point is that your statement is false–Aramaic was indeed an important tool (and arguably an even more important tool than Greek) for disciple-making in the early church.
Syriac is a dialect of Aramaic.
This is so off topic. I completely understand that Syriac is a dialect. It’s a red herring. Not one thing that I wrote is false. Your post is quite disrespectful of my position. “Arguably” is RIGHT! But, “arguably more important” doesn’t make my statement false.
I can also easily say “no David, my point is that your statement is false.” It’s ridiculous.
Where do I start:
- The New testament was written in Greek
- Romans occupied most of the middle east; where Christianity began (Greek)
- The Church fathers of the Apostolic and Sub-Apostolic age wrote in Greek
- Josephus wrote in Greek
- This includes the 3rd in succession of the chair of Peter (Clement) wrote in Greek
- You can easily find a list of a dozen, or more, Sub-Apostolic and Anti-Nicene Church Fathers who wrote in Greek
7)There are a few Anti-Nicene fathers that wrote in Latin - Most Latin Church fathers were , should we say, post-Constantine.
There is 1 Church father that wrote in Sryiac prior to the year 500 AD,…one.
The Romans quit persecuting the church and the chair of Peter was in Rome, so many of the Later Church Fathers began writing in Latin.
I have never said that Christians didn’t speak Aramaic, or Syriac.
No David, what I wrote was not false. No where near it. I said “Aramaic, not so much”
I don’t call your “500 years after Calvary” to be the early church. Maybe your Orthodox, but in any Christian religion making such an unsubstantiated claim would be sin.
Were there bishops in areas that spoke different dialects of Aramaic/Hebrew? Of Course. Were there bishops in areas that spoke other languages? of course
However, that certainly doesn’t make what I wrote false.
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but you’ve just tried to discredit my statements in- accurately.
Best, Patrick