C
CutlerB
Guest
In a quite openly anti-Catholic column in the German Der Spiegel, which is no surprise, well-known publisher Jakob Augstein comments on the results of the survey of Catholics by the Bishops’ Conference in preparation for the Extraordinary Synod later this year. He makes some outrageous statements, which doesn’t surprise yet angers me, which are either malicious or just ignorant. Or both.
Here are some excerpts. Afterwards, I will pose my question.
Can you help?
Here are some excerpts. Afterwards, I will pose my question.
The result [of the survey] – nothing – is less surprising the fact of the survey itself …] What is the point of this? Christianity has been an anti-sexual religion for 2000 years — which hasn’t harmed the West. Where would we be without our hypocrisy?
“Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the Name of the Lord.” That’s what it says in Mark. It is of course meant in an entirely different way from how youths would understand it in their religion class [at school]. Nowhere is there greater discrepancy between Church teaching and real life than on the topic of sex: …] where, except Iran or the US Bible Belt, is Catholic sexual morality still in practice?
Here now, comes the part which my question is about:Pope Gregory I created a strict catalogue of punishments for sins of the flesh about 1400 years ago, and churchmen made sure it was observed — only by others, of course. For the longest time after the Ascension the Catholic clergy did not live by its own rules. Pope Alexander VI had Roman girls come to show them his Basilica [no, not St Peter’s Basilica] to amplify religious ecstasy. This Berlusconi of the Holy See was only a very glaring variant of classic religious bigotry: publicly preach against sex, and then still do it more or less privately.
Well, did St. Augustine invent Original Sin? I believe he didn’t, but I’d like some evidence the doctrine was taught before him. At least in principle.In the beginning, Christianity had less of a problem with sexual morality. In I Corinthians, Paul writes: “I would rather all people be like me” – chaste and celibate – “but”, the Apostle continues, “each has his own gift from God, some like this, others like that” [paraphrased]. There was some wiggle-room, which the Church Father Augustine closed three centuries later. He invented the idea of Original Sin, which is transmitted from human to human since Adam like an STD. A “logic of terror”, as historian of philosophy Kurt Flasch calls this doctrine, which has influenced Christianity more than most others.
Can you help?