C
Cristian_B
Guest
Nah. I’m just collecting information for a possible future argument.Now your true colors show.
Nah. I’m just collecting information for a possible future argument.Now your true colors show.
I must admit I did not see that particular angle, viz., that man is made in God’s image and therefore is not considered an “animal” for the purposes of deciding whether human flesh can be eaten.Because man is made in the image of God. Would you denegrate the image of a loved one (would that be morally correct?). Does your instinct/conscience tell you that cannabilism is ok?
Hi - thanks for the reply. I think the Eucharist is something very different - it is the blood and body of Christ (God) as divine, not as man/human. There is a flat prohibition in scripture about not consumming blood (any blood) because it is the “life”. If you think about it, this is because God gives life (man doesn’t take life for his own) and many pagen cultures encouraged drinking blood to claim “life” or powers of their victims or sacrifices. But with the Eucharist, this is life being given to us by, and at the command of, God.I must admit I did not see that particular angle, viz., that man is made in God’s image and therefore is not considered an “animal” for the purposes of deciding whether human flesh can be eaten.
I always thought that human flesh was necessarily missing from the Noahide prohibitions in order for us to consume the Body and Blood of Christ.
Besides, most of us have at some point or other ingested our own blood (think: gingivitis).
drbo.org/cgi-bin/d?b=drb&bk=51&ch=10&l=13&f=s#xOkay, I will not debate the authority of the Catholic Church.
But I ask: why? Is there Scriptural evidence for it?
I was originally thinking to make this a thread about what is written in the Bible about the dietary laws. I am grateful for your opinion, but could you also post scriptural evidence for this claim? Thank you.
10 And being hungry, he was desirous to taste somewhat. And as they were preparing, there came upon him an ecstasy of mind.
11 And he saw the heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending, as it were a great linen sheet let down by the four corners from heaven to the earth: 12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts, and creeping things of the earth, and fowls of the air. 13 And there came a voice to him: Arise, Peter; kill and eat. 14 But Peter said: Far be it from me; for I never did eat any thing that is common and unclean. 15 And the voice spoke to him again the second time: That which God hath cleansed, do not thou call common.
God very directly told Peter, the old dietary laws no longer apply.16 And this was done thrice; and presently the vessel was taken up into heaven.
It is ironical that these passages (those found in Acts 10) are actually those that prove we are supposed to follow the dietary laws, and not the opposite.God very directly told Peter, the old dietary laws no longer apply.
Then why was Peter wondering about the meaning if it was so obvious? And why didn’t he share the same interpretation with us that you have? But he instead tells us that God told him not to call any Gentile unclean, and He said not a word about clean and unclean animals. God used a parable or allegory. What He called clean man should not call unclean. God called the Gentiles clean for believing in Him, and man was not supposed to call Gentiles unclean for He cleaned them. Show me where He actually calls all unclean animals clean and that we can eat them, and not in a parable that is not even speaking about animals, but people.If you enjoy reading selectivly then you could make the comments you just made Christian. Peter says “I have not eaten anything unclean” indeed. This is because Peter is a good Jew, just like Jesus was a good Jew. But God told him “what I have called clean, you will not call unclean”… And Peter’s very response is to God’s command to “Kill, eat”.
You can’t read that one verse, to the exclusion of what God is very directly telling Peter.
The same reason why most of Christ’s apsotles leave him in John 6, the Jews knew the levitical law very well. They knew very well that breaking levitical law meant being cursed, they saw the effects in terms of their kingdom being dominated.Then why was Peter wondering about the meaning if it was so obvious? And why didn’t he share the same interpretation with us that you have? But he instead tells us that God told him not to call any Gentile unclean, and He said not a word about clean and unclean animals. God used a parable or allegory. What He called clean man should not call unclean. God called the Gentiles clean for believing in Him, and man was not supposed to call Gentiles unclean for He cleaned them. Show me where He actually calls all unclean animals clean and that we can eat them, and not in a parable that is not even speaking about animals, but people.
But the difference between clean and unclean was made before Mount Sinai.The same reason why most of Christ’s apsotles leave him in John 6, the Jews knew the levitical law very well. They knew very well that breaking levitical law meant being cursed, they saw the effects in terms of their kingdom being dominated.
What they didn’t fully grasp is how God was preparing us for the new covenant. How the commandments in Deuteronomy 12, that you do not drink blood because the blood is for the soul, will play later on when Christ is explaining “…my blood is true drink indeed”.
The levitical laws were designed not only for the health of the people, but also to prepare them for Christ. The dietary laws served their puropse, and after the death and resurrection of Christ they were no longer necessary. Thus, God did not keep them in place, and he uses this vision to cement this point to Peter.
Question 1:But the difference between clean and unclean was made before Mount Sinai.
And part of the previous Law was fulfilled. Explain to me how have the dietary laws been fulfilled.
So can we eat dogs, giraffes, tigers and everything else we desire?
I don’t know. I don’t have any Jewish close relatives as far as I know. But who knows…? Maybe some hundreds of years ago some ancestor of mine married to a Jew. I can’t keep track of my family tree, but as far as I know: no.Question 1:
Do you have any Jewish blood in you, at all, that you’re aware of?
Saved? Jesus has very much to do with me yet. Being saved? I hope so.Question 2:
Do you consider your self a saved follower of Christ?
Well I’m glad to read that, but I do assume that you believe that you can be saved… That is to say, that you’re not left out to dry. You see, we Gentiles are very much like the unclean animals. To the Jews, and even to Christs very followers, they were to be left alone. Not touched, not interacted with, certainly not to be evangalized. And we can see the fruits of St. Peter’s statement “surely Sir, I have not eaten anything unclean”, he likewise never would have dreamed of visiting the centurian before that dream (particularly since this centurian could well have been involved in the Lords humiliation and death).I don’t know. I don’t have any Jewish close relatives as far as I know. But who knows…? Maybe some hundreds of years ago some ancestor of mine married to a Jew. I can’t keep track of my family tree, but as far as I know: no.
Saved? Jesus has very much to do with me yet. Being saved? I hope so.
The centurian’s messager arrives where Peter is, and asks for him to come visit his master. Because of the vision Peter attends the messager when he otherwise would have (probably rudely) dismissed him. While Peter is speaking with him, something very curious happens:Act 10:17 Now, whilst Peter was doubting within himself what the vision that he had seen should mean, behold the men who were sent from Cornelius, inquiring for Simon’s house, stood at the gate.
Act 10:18 And when they had called, they asked if Simon, who is surnamed Peter, were lodged there.
Act 10:19 And as Peter was thinking of the vision, the Spirit said to him: Behold three men seek thee.
Recognizing what has happend, Peter brings him (rather scandolously at first) into the Christian community. Thus, when before Christ the Jews were Clean and we were unclean, like the food in Peter’s vision now there is no clean or unclean.Act 10:44 While Peter was yet speaking these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them that heard the word.
So we can eat whatever we please?In this way, the dietary laws have been fulfilled.
You can in fact, eat whatever you want. What I write had all the support in scriptures, in fact I just walked you through it. You seem to be under the mistaken belief that dietary laws had to be a parable in order to be fulfilled in Christ. Not so, all Jewish works of the Law (per Paul, you’ll also note none of these laws were mere parables) have been fulfilled in Christ. Denying this, is to deny what Christ did for us.So we can eat whatever we please?
Also, what you said doesn’t have much support in Scriptures. The dietary laws weren’t given as an allegory or parable. Because, would God just stop them from eating all those “delicious food” so some people in the future will learn some simple lesson? Is He such a tyrant? God knows better, and He made them so we might be happy, because many of those foods are bad to eat. They are scavengers, that basically recycle everything in nature. We are what we eat. Are we supposed to eat left overs?
They were given as instructions of what can we eat. It is true that God makes a comparison. But the difference is that He cleaned the Gentiles (declared them clean) but He did not clean the animals. You have still not when me a statement by God where He declared all unclean animals clean. And in Peter’s vision He doesn’t speak about animals at all.
Define ‘works of the Law’.You can in fact, eat whatever you want. What I write had all the support in scriptures, in fact I just walked you through it. You seem to be under the mistaken belief that dietary laws had to be a parable in order to be fulfilled in Christ. Not so, all Jewish works of the Law (per Paul, you’ll also note none of these laws were mere parables) have been fulfilled in Christ. Denying this, is to deny what Christ did for us.
I was going to edit, but here you go:Define ‘works of the Law’.
The works of Levitical laws, the only laws which remain are the moral law per Christ:28 For we account a man to be justified by faith, without the works of the law.
Edit:16 And behold one came and said to him: Good master, what good shall I do that I may have life everlasting?
17 Who said to him: Why asketh thou me concerning good? One is good, God. But if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
21 I cast not away the grace of God. For if justice be by the law, then Christ died in vain.
So? We are not justified by keeping the commandments. But if we are not justified by keeping the commandments, does that mean we can brake them?I was going to edit, but here you go:
The works of Levitical laws, the only laws which remain are the moral law per Christ:
Matthew 19
Edit:
Galatians Ch 2