Also, I am not sure that I completely grasp your comment about the riddle in Luke, although I was a bit intrigued by it. Perhap you can explain it in greater detail…
God Bless…
I would be happy to, but fear it would hijack the thread. I practice a hermeneutic which was available in the 1st century, and which I believe explains the way that NT authors used the OT. I believe it reveals pictures of Christ in the OT which Jesus used to know who he was and what he was to do. Since we can now see them, they give us a clearer picture of Christ which does not contradict what we know from the literal.
I share it in this forum hoping that the church has some memory of the method. I believe it does in the typology of the church and the Quadriga.
We speak of different genres of writing. This is the genre of riddle. It is hidden in double entendre. To the casual observer it appears to be allegory, but it is much more than that. The meaning is firmly tied to the words used and is therefore verifiable and reproducible, which cannot be said of much allegory.
If you search these forums for my name and sensus plenior you will find many examples of its application.
I also try to teach others how to see it for themselves at
sensusplenior.net/?page_id=2
I am not Catholic. But I am not anti-Catholic. You may find some doctrinal differences from time to time, but if you didn’t, I would likely be Catholic. I am hoping to find a Catholic expert on the subject, to discuss it further and attempt to reconcile any differences.
v.5 Zacharias – “remembered of Jehovah”
course – daily In sensus plenior ‘day’ is a picture of Christ.
Abia – “My father is God” therefore “Son of God”
wife – one of the words in Hebrew means burning ember and in sensus plenior ‘total devotion’
daughter – a son who does not see clearly, Christ in the incarnation emptied himself and therefore was not omniscient.
Aaron – lightbringer
Elizabeth – oath of God An oath is a sure word, so we may say that Elizabeth means Word of God,
Paraphrasing the riddle solution:
God remembered a picture of Christ, the Son of God totally devoted in incarnation, the Light and Word of God.
There are two basic methods of obtaining the riddle and solving it.
Many words have multiple meanings. This provides a mechanism for double entendre. Not all possible meanings are true meanings for a passage, and so there are a set of rules at the website which constrain them.
Then some words have a metaphoric meaning which is discerned by solving riddles. A proper solution is known when the metaphoric meaning can be used everywhere in scripture that it occurs. Garments are always works, and donkeys are always prophets. This mechanism demonstrates that the sensus plenior is not of human origin.
In the riddle of Luke:
Zacharias – “remembered of Jehovah” can be verified by a dictionary.
course – daily In sensus plenior ‘day’ is a picture of Christ. is a metaphoric meaning that would take some explaining to demonstrate.
Abia, Aaron and Elizabeth can be verified with a dictionary.
wife requires a two step process, first the dictionary then the metaphor.
daughter is riddle alone.
I am also documenting the metaphoric meanings, but it is a tedious process like drawing a picture to explain a joke. It’s much easier if someone just ‘gets it.’ It is the same with riddle.
When is the ocean friendly? If you don’t know it is a riddle you might say When it is shallow or calm. But when you hear: It is friendly when it waves at you… You get it. If you didn’t, it would take a lot of explaining to help you understand.
It is child’s play. It only becomes real complicated because we don’t speak Hebrew.
In several of the riddles Christ is portrayed as a sickly priest. So the riddle asks why was Jesus a sickly priest? The answer is that he could not act like a priest at all before the cross because he was the wrong tribe, but he became the High priest in the resurrection. Now we see Lazarus (whose name in Hebrew is the name of the high priest) who is sick. It is a picture of Christ in the flesh. When Jesus sees it, he is confronted with his own death and groans deeply as he faces a mini Gethsemane experience. To finish the picture using Lazarus, Lazarus must be resurrected. So Jesus calls him from the tomb. Now we have a completed picture of Christ which Jesus knowingly and intentionally participated in.
It was a part of his training process to face the real cross. As he was faithful in each of the little things, the mini dramas of the cross, it enabled him to be faithful in the big thing of the cross itself.
We see this same process in many of the things Jesus did. He actively participated in a ‘dinner theater’ type play to paint a picture of the cross. Luke writes in the same hidden fashion as the OT . When we discern the hidden meaning from v5 it contains the same elements that we think are unique to John.
If someone wishes to discuss it further, please start a thread of its own and let me know where it is or PM me so we don’t hijack this one.