Differences between various Vulgate texts

  • Thread starter Thread starter prr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

prr

Guest
I am looking for the version of the Vulgate that essentially reconstructs the text that Jerome used. I believe that Wendell and White (names??) started this project a century ago. I have heard the names Stuttgart and Nova Vulgata tossed around… not sure which is which here. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

BTW–I tried looking this up online. In addition to explaining this, links would be very helpful here so I could read up on this for myself.
 
I am looking for the version of the Vulgate that essentially reconstructs the text that Jerome used. I believe that Wendell and White (names??) started this project a century ago. I have heard the names Stuttgart and Nova Vulgata tossed around… not sure which is which here. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

BTW–I tried looking this up online. In addition to explaining this, links would be very helpful here so I could read up on this for myself.
Do you mean you’re looking for the Latin text?
 
No, just for an explanation of the differences in purpose of the versions. Which of the new Vulgate is a reconstruction of Jerome? I believe I have access to a few Latin texts myself, but would like to see Jerome’s original text, that’s all.
 
You know, I was sure this topic had been discussed in this forum before, but a search didn’t turn anything up. I was googling for the info just now, and a link to a thread here appeared in the results. You can view the original post here:

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?p=1496316#post1496316

The Stuttgart edition is in fact, not of course the Clementine Vulgate edition that is the “vulgate” that most people know, but a scholarly reconstruction of Jerome’s translation from 405 AD. And then the Nova Vulgata would be the newer version of the Vulgate that is in fact approved and used by the Catholic Church (as opposed to the Stuttgart version).

For those who use Esword, the version of the Vulgate that you can download at the esword site is in fact the Stuttgart, although there is a Clementine vulgate text in an esword module as well (its installed in my copy of the program).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top