C
CWBetts
Guest
Au contraire, mon ami! According toDei Verbum, all of the Scriptures are infallible, as the Holy Spirit cannot inspire error.The Old Testament was not infallible.
Au contraire, mon ami! According toDei Verbum, all of the Scriptures are infallible, as the Holy Spirit cannot inspire error.The Old Testament was not infallible.
Sorry, but would God give the Hebrews the Ten Commandments, among them "Thou shalt not kill". and then order them to carry out such mass murders? I can't believe it. But since I don't believe it, I can read such OT accounts without losing my faith.
What does disturb me is when fundamentalists - Catholics and Protestants both - insist that the OT is true at all places. Poppycock. No wonder more and more people are abandoning organized religion if they are expected to believe that God was such a cold-hearted killer. The fact that some may have gone to heaven doesn't change the evilness of wholesale slaughter. I suspect that all innocent babies who are aborted go to heaven. Does that justify abortion? We need to be consistent in our teaching.
God bless all his creatures, and may religion become a bridge rather than a barrier!
The Bible, both Old and new Testaments, are true in all places insofar as when assertions are being made.CWBetts
Code:Sorry, but would God give the Hebrews the Ten Commandments, among them "Thou shalt not kill". and then order them to carry out such mass murders? I can't believe it. But since I don't believe it, I can read such OT accounts without losing my faith. What does disturb me is when fundamentalists - Catholics and Protestants both - insist that the OT is true at all places. Poppycock. No wonder more and more people are abandoning organized religion if they are expected to believe that God was such a cold-hearted killer. The fact that some may have gone to heaven doesn't change the evilness of wholesale slaughter. I suspect that all innocent babies who are aborted go to heaven. Does that justify abortion? We need to be consistent in our teaching. God bless all his creatures, and may religion become a bridge rather than a barrier!
Au contraire good sir. While all scripture is infallible, what I meant was that the Old COVENANT was fallible, while the New Covenant is perfect and eternal. Sorry for any confusion I caused.Au contraire, mon ami! According toDei Verbum, all of the Scriptures are infallible, as the Holy Spirit cannot inspire error.
My God is a God of justice, mercy, peace and love. Sorry about yours.Seeing as how I’ve used many parent/child analogies myself, I have to be careful what I say…!Who are we to question God?
The same scriptures that you are dismissing, Jesus Himself quoted.
The God of the Old Testament had His reasons for committing the ‘atrocities’ you speak of and it’s not for us to know why He did what He did or ordered what He ordered… but when we decide to dismiss certain scripture because it is offensive to us and/or seems contradictory then we put ourselves in a very dangerous position.
One thing we must all understand is that God knows all, sees all, understands all… when He orders the destruction of an entire race of people He does so because it’s necessary. While we are limited in our vision He sees the future and removes things that will cause greater grief.
I’m a fan of analogies so here’s one for you.
If a parent sees their child reaching out to touch a flame does he stop his child, remove the flame, or let the child touch the flame and thus be burnt? Sometimes the parent lets his child get burnt as a way of learning a lesson… sometimes tragedy happens and instead of getting burnt mildly the child ends up tipping the candle over and lighting himself on fire and the result is either death and / or permanent injury. Now reimagine… if the parent has the ability to see the future and knows the candle will tip and kill his child the only action this parent will take is to remove the flame completely. That would be the loving action.
So, now use this same analogy in the case of the ‘evils’ that the OT God supposedly commited. Say the peoples he destroyed would have led to the spiritual death of mankind. Perhaps they would have killed the Jewish people completely. We don’t know, but God did and He acted accordingly.
Anyway, that’s how I understand it and make sense of it.
I’ll choose the slippery slope too and say this;Seeing as how I’ve used many parent/child analogies myself, I have to be careful what I say…!
So to save a child, the source of a potential injury may need to be removed. But in this case, the potential source of injury was… other people. So in order to save his child (Israel), God had to kill… another one of his children? Aren’t we all God’s childern, having been given his grace?
Let’s revert to another parent/child analogy then: could anyone kill their child to save another child?
I’ll invoke the ‘slippery slope’ argument here. Taken too far, this rationale (God knowing no limits in defending his people) can excuse the most intolerable of people and acts.
Your God allow people to exist in eternal torment. As does mine.I can’t believe that God, one with Christ who commanded us to love our enemies, would order the wholesale murder of entire populations by invading armies taking their land.
Code:My God is a God of justice, mercy, peace and love. Sorry about yours.
Easily! I don’t believe in the concept of eternal hell.I’ll choose the slippery slope too and say this;
How is not detestable to believe He lets people suffer eternally in hell but not detestable to believe He terminated temporary lives?
Easily! I don’t believe in the concept of eternal hell.
EXACTLY! the point I’ve been making all along.But try to remember we wouldn’t have the New without the Old.![]()
I can’t believe that God, one with Christ who commanded us to love our enemies, would order the wholesale murder of entire populations by invading armies taking their land.
I don’t refute that God: Father, Jesus Christ, and Holy Spirit, is a God of justice, mercy, peace, and love. Justice would be the key word here in relation to the discussion. His justice is certain. Hence, Hell. Those who reject God, God rejects. In the times of Noah, all rejected Him, and so He rejected them.My God is a God of justice, mercy, peace and love. Sorry about yours.
Precisely because Jesus was God (the same God) could it give him authority over the Word of God (i.e., “ye have heard it said”) and command more of His people (i.e., “but I say unto you”). God has not changed yet the relationship with His people have.Christians try hard to make inhumane Old Testament acts and laws compatible with the words of Christ, but in Matthew 5 (and elsewhere) ** Jesus clearly keeps saying: “ye have heard it said, but I say unto you**…”.
I agree with Roy. I don’t understand…In the times of Sodom and Gomorrah, the angel of destruction was asked by Lot, “If there is one innocent person, will you destroy the cities?” The angel responded, “If there is even one innocent person, I will not destroy them.”
The city was destroyed. God’s justice prevailed.
I can’t really answer a question like that. I can’t answer for the angel who acted on behalf of God, to destroy those cities. I can’t answer for God. I know that I shouldn’t question God. I don’t presume to know the answer to why He did what He did, and does what He does. The only thing I can say is what I’ve already said:I agree with Roy. I don’t understand…
I’m curoius what metric the ‘angel of destruction’ used. As Roy pointed out, there were likely infants and mothers in both towns. So this angel destroyed wicked unborn children, wicked infants, wicked toddlers, wicked children… you get the wicked point. I may have to revisit the ‘free will’/predestination threads to try and make sense of how wickedness is measured in the womb, and how that relates to “God’s jusitce”.
“Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you blessed of my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the foundation of the world…Then He will say to those on His left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the **eternal fire **prepared for the devil and His angels’…Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” (Matthew 25:34-46)Easily! I don’t believe in the concept of eternal hell.