Different viewpoint on the Church of Rome

  • Thread starter Thread starter mrs_abbott
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
😃 Oh I have a joke for you which you may have heard but anyways. We just had daylight savings time where we turned the clocks back. That night I had decided to cook a chicken for supper so I put it in the micro to nuke it and then it was cooking but I turned the clock back for the time change and when I opened up the door to get the chicken lo and behold there was an egg! ha! ha! 😃 Anyone else for any jokes?
 
That old chestnut of a list has always tempted me to work on one of my own, something along the lines of:

Introduction of snake-handling into Sunday worship:
Invention of Sola Scriptura:
Oral Roberts creates and sells his first “prayer cloth:”
Invention of the Altar Call:
Episcopal bishops decide to wear Elizabethan ruffs around their necks:
Introduction of hymns by the Wesley brothers:

and on and on. Just as silly, just as meaningless…
 
Of the timeline of the Catholic Church and when certain doctrines came about.
30 - 33 AD is the only date you really need to remember, since everything we have comes from Christ. Christ established the Church on the Apostles, and it received the Holy Spirit at Pentecost of the same year that Jesus died and was resurrected. This is traditionally believed to be 33 AD, although it could have been either 30 AD or 33 AD, due to the timing of the Passover in those years.

Of course, the Church has grown over time, and has increased in its understanding of many things, but at no time was any essential doctrine “invented” out of thin air. Everything (including the Bible and the Mass) comes from the Tradition that was handed down to the living Church by the Apostles. 🙂

A really good book on this subject that you might enjoy reading is This Is The Faith, by Canon Francis Ripley.
 
I would have to look further on the internet, Here is one timeline link.
Here is another, and another.
Keeping in mind that these are not times when doctrines were “invented,” but rather, times when the Church as a whole came to a greater clarity about doctrines already existing, given to us by Jesus Christ, through the Apostles.
 
You will not find a list of “invented doctrine” but if you look up the councils, you can find when certain doctrines were defined in response to heresies.

All doctrine already was either in sacred scripture, or in the unspoken traditions handed down from the Apostles. They might not have been very well defined at first but they would have been there already. To try to find a list of when doctrine was invented or started by the Church, is going to get you off track, and that is exactly what that list you posted is, it is written to cause **doubt ** about the authority of the Catholic Church.

Here are some links to the councils…
Here
Here
and
Here

I don’t know how reliable these are, since I just did a quick google check, there are probably better ones online.
 
You will not find a list of “invented doctrine” but if you look up the councils, you can find when certain doctrines were defined in response to heresies.
Someone needs to make a list combatting the one made by Boettner so that they can refute the points instead of leaving it open for belief.
I don’t know how reliable these are, since I just did a quick google check, there are probably better ones online.
Thank you for giving me those sources!
 
I understand your point. Not having read that book itself, I am not sure if Mr. Boettner made that ‘list’ or if somebody or some group went through his book and just ‘pulled out’ various things into that list.

So–for somebody who has read the book–may I ask if that list appears as a list?

If it does, I’ll bet that there are some of us on the forums who would be willing to tackle it point by point and make an ‘anti-list’.

However, if this was not part of the book, but merely one of those cute little cut-and-paste thingies pulled from the book, I’d still be willing, but I have to say that there would probably come out soon another list of doctored up ‘doctrines’ and falsified councils.

Sometimes over-the-top hysterical accusations need to be met with a dignified (or unbelieving) silence, because the accusations are simply unworthy of response.

I hope that as you’ve gone through the links etc. to the refutations that it’s made you feel easier. Above all, the whole thing about that list is that, really, it isn’t about the Catholic faith–it’s somebody’s feverish attempts to try, by fair means or foul–to cast doubt on what that person thinks is ‘wrong’ about the Church. The Church is not built on when wax candles began to be used, after all. And no amount of made up dates, or councils, or false statements about when and where Catholics lived their faith and teachings, is going to change the Church or destroy the Church. It might make some people waver but that is only until they know the real truth. One good thing about living in an age where stupid ‘lists’ like these can be blasted over the internet to millions–and that is that the real truth about the lies in the list are equally available over the internet to millions. So most people are going to wind up better educated about the Catholic faith and stronger than ever.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top