V
verysad
Guest
My son got married with a nice girl (I`ll call her Sally here), I didn´t know her much. (Usually relationships are mostly at the girlfriends place)
I asked my DL, to do some shopping for a small business (clothes). I needed it because I was in a bad situation and was trying to make some money. I asked my son if I could ask her to do that for me and my son said it was ok. Because of the way she acted I got the feeling that something was right, but couldn´t realize what it was.
One day my son and Sally came to my place and when I was in my bedroom,(at night) my son came to tell me “Mom, you didn`t say “please”, when you asked Sally for the shopping”. I found it completely ridiculous and got kind of mad, but I said ok, we will talk tomorrow.
Next day I sat them both to talk, I asked her if I didn´t say “please” (even I did it in a nice way) and I apologized for that, she explained madly that a “please” was needed because it was a nuisance to do the shopping. She madly said that I didn´t consider them a couple because once they brought a present for my grandson (daughter), I said “Look what (son´s name) brought for you, and I didn´t mentioned her. Accusation, that seems to out of proportion for the “fault of not mentioning her. I was a new mother in-law and I did the best I could.
The culprit of the complaining was that she was mad because I said one piece of the clothing was not sold. But some clothes I shop are never sold, and I never implied that it was her fault, or that she didn’t do things well.
I could see my son backing her in her anger and complains, it was like a nightmare for me, because my son and I have always had a very good relationship
Sally was also angry with my daughter, because she called her brother (my son), to thank him for a Xmas card and she didn´t thank her.
Sally also mentioned that she felt not appreciated in my small family. Daughter and I did our best, and it also counts that we usually not hear a word of her, except when she is with my son.
They took me out off base; a kind of “Pandora box” opened and it was a lot of bad stuff inside. I could see much insecurity, and anger and I felt scared of the feeling “This is not going to be a single event; it is a way to face life”.
I swallowed my anger, because of the importance of the relationship, but my dignity was deeply hurt and I got depressed for a long time. I felt hurt and emotionally battered by my DL and my son.
Unfortunately, Sally continues to assume hurtful things in the most insignificant comment.
I always feel uncomfortable with her. “Everything I say and do, could be used against me”.
My son loves her dearly, but gradually his visits less and spends less time with us, and I can figure why.
I have cried for my son as if he had died. I never thought a thing like this could ever happen
.
I know it is not in my power to change the way she processes things, but I feel very sad because can`t see in peace my son and grandkids, as much as I would like.
Gess when my grandsons get older, they might ask “Why we didn´t see grandma much?” and their reply might be “Because of issues, like she asked mom for a thing, and didn’t say the word “please”.
Does it sound fair to anyone? I feel devastated! Not sure if I`ll ever recover from this.
I asked my DL, to do some shopping for a small business (clothes). I needed it because I was in a bad situation and was trying to make some money. I asked my son if I could ask her to do that for me and my son said it was ok. Because of the way she acted I got the feeling that something was right, but couldn´t realize what it was.
One day my son and Sally came to my place and when I was in my bedroom,(at night) my son came to tell me “Mom, you didn`t say “please”, when you asked Sally for the shopping”. I found it completely ridiculous and got kind of mad, but I said ok, we will talk tomorrow.
Next day I sat them both to talk, I asked her if I didn´t say “please” (even I did it in a nice way) and I apologized for that, she explained madly that a “please” was needed because it was a nuisance to do the shopping. She madly said that I didn´t consider them a couple because once they brought a present for my grandson (daughter), I said “Look what (son´s name) brought for you, and I didn´t mentioned her. Accusation, that seems to out of proportion for the “fault of not mentioning her. I was a new mother in-law and I did the best I could.
The culprit of the complaining was that she was mad because I said one piece of the clothing was not sold. But some clothes I shop are never sold, and I never implied that it was her fault, or that she didn’t do things well.
I could see my son backing her in her anger and complains, it was like a nightmare for me, because my son and I have always had a very good relationship
Sally was also angry with my daughter, because she called her brother (my son), to thank him for a Xmas card and she didn´t thank her.
Sally also mentioned that she felt not appreciated in my small family. Daughter and I did our best, and it also counts that we usually not hear a word of her, except when she is with my son.
They took me out off base; a kind of “Pandora box” opened and it was a lot of bad stuff inside. I could see much insecurity, and anger and I felt scared of the feeling “This is not going to be a single event; it is a way to face life”.
I swallowed my anger, because of the importance of the relationship, but my dignity was deeply hurt and I got depressed for a long time. I felt hurt and emotionally battered by my DL and my son.
Unfortunately, Sally continues to assume hurtful things in the most insignificant comment.
I always feel uncomfortable with her. “Everything I say and do, could be used against me”.
My son loves her dearly, but gradually his visits less and spends less time with us, and I can figure why.
I have cried for my son as if he had died. I never thought a thing like this could ever happen
.
I know it is not in my power to change the way she processes things, but I feel very sad because can`t see in peace my son and grandkids, as much as I would like.
Gess when my grandsons get older, they might ask “Why we didn´t see grandma much?” and their reply might be “Because of issues, like she asked mom for a thing, and didn’t say the word “please”.
Does it sound fair to anyone? I feel devastated! Not sure if I`ll ever recover from this.