Difficulty praying

  • Thread starter Thread starter Butaperson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Butaperson

Guest
I have always struggled with prayer. I don’t know exactly why. On a good day, I probably pray 15-20 minutes per day. On a bad day I struggle to so much as read a psalm. I’m having one of those days right now. It’s midnight, I need sleep so badly I’m almost desperate, I haven’t prayed at all today and I can’t sleep until I’ve prayed. I can’t pray. I’ve tried. I don’t know why and I don’t know how to explain it. I just can’t pray.
I don’t know what to do. I lose so much sleep on days like this. Is there anybody here who has struggled similarly? What do you do? How do you resolve the situation?
 
I’ve had this problem before. The best thing to do when you struggle with prayer is to pray. Keep doing whatever you’ve been doing.

You can also make small changes if you want,but be careful about them. You might try reading a different book or praying in a different place. You could also mix in simple prayers like the divine mercy chaplet, the rosary, or simply saying a few our fathers and Hail Marys.

Final suggestion, if you’re struggling in finding words to speak to God, maybe you should just sit in silence for a few minutes and let Him speak.
 
Excellent suggestion there!
You might also try the Jesus prayer a few times…soon you will be asleep.
“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”
 
Just sit quietly in praise of the Lord. Silent prayer is contemplative prayer.
 
We all have these periods of spiritual dryness, so I understand your concern.

When I have difficulty praying, I often find I also am having difficult time reading scripture…and like you, I am out of sorts when I am having difficulty with either.

My solution has been to listen to audio recordings of scripture (Truth and LIfe Audio Bible - New testament RSVCE-2 with imprimatur and foreward by Pope Benedict XVI).

Even if not listening as attentively as I should, a word or phrase catches my attention and leads me into contemplative prayer…kind of a Lectio Divina thing.

You might want to give it a try.

In the meantime, rest assure that we, your brothers and sisters, will be raising your prayers along with ours, to the Lord!

Peace and all Good!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top