Disney Plus Adds Content Warning to ‘Dumbo,’ ‘Peter Pan’

• Thread starter Thread starter ThinkingSapien
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ThinkingSapien

Disney Plus has added a new content warning label on several classic animated movies, including “Peter Pan,” “Dumbo,” “Fantasia” and “Lady and the Tramp.”

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Last year, the streaming service added content warnings to content considered to have outdated depictions that appeared as a smaller text box on screen. The updated disclosure appears when a user clicks on the film, with the label lasting onscreen for about 10 seconds.

“This program includes negative depictions and/or mistreatment of people or cultures,” the new label reads. “These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now. Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversation to create a more inclusive future together. Disney is committed to creating stories with inspirational and aspirational themes that reflect the rich diversity of the human experience around the globe.”

In November 2019, a shorter content warning was added to movies such as “Dumbo” due to racist depictions found in the films created by Disney in the 1940s and ’50s.

“This program is presented as originally created,” the warning previously said. “It may contain outdated cultural depictions.”

The updated screen also offers a link to Disney.com/StoriesMatter, which includes a PSA and information on the impact of diverse storytelling on culture. The short video includes statements by a number of entertainment professionals, including Geena Davis, Gil Robertson, Gloria Calderón Kellett and Cristela Alonzo.

Since the inception of Disney Plus, the company has also notably opted not to include its 1946 musical film “Song of the South” in its list of content. The movie has not been available in any format for more than three decades, presumably because of its racist depictions of Black Americans.

Disney’s actions reflect the entertainment industry’s reckoning with the racism inherent in content from previous decades. Other streaming sites have also made steps to acknowledge the negative portrayals of people of color in movies and shows on their services. HBO Max pulled “Gone With the Wind” from the streaming service in June but later restored the film with a notice that the film “denies the horrors of slavery.”

Shows like “30 Rock” and “Community,” which are much more recent than the Disney films labeled for their negative depictions, have also had episodes pulled from streaming sites for use of blackface.

Not removal, just a label? Money seems to always win over

They want to cancel everything thing else, only saying

Not removal, just a label? Money seems to always win over
Yes, a removal. They’ve done edits of some of their earlier works, though there edits were done some time ago. The original Fantasia had a few things in it that I don’t think would be easily remedied with a label.

There have been some that have felt that when icons of the past are deleted, that a part of history is deleted with it. The label appears to be something that allows them to both preserve the past while also expressing their current judgement on it.
They want to cancel everything thing else, only saying
Who are “they?” Does it include some party with which Disney is seeking consistency?

I have multiple copies of Song of the South I purchased on ebay years ago before their ban (or after, which would make them bootleg most likely, can’t recall).

Great movie.

I have multiple copies of Song of the South I purchased on ebay years ago before their ban (or after, which would make them bootleg most likely, can’t recall).
I’ve seen an ebay user in Australia that will burn copies and ship them out. Bootleg is about the only way I can see someone getting it. When I was in grade-K, I remember the teacher playing it for the class.

The cancel culture
oh, well that’s a label that is applied to a wide range of people. Generally, when speaking of large groups that don’t identify as being unified, variations in behaviours and dispositions across them will be encountered. You might find that some are appeased by the labels, some are not.

Great movie.
No, it was not a great movie and it is cringe-worthy now. The topic has been well-covered on this forum, too.

Disney’s treatment of the Middle East and dark skinned folks has been well documented. An explanation by the company was long overdue.

Last edited:
So, when will they change the name and tear down Disney statues?
I don’t think there will be a cry to do this. Disney is a part of the positive childhood experiences of a few generations. I don’t think there’s enough of a public desire to call for this.

Additionally, as far as I know to encounter a Disney statue one would have to go to Disney grounds and pay for entry. Had Disney statues been erected in neighborhoods as a part of opposition to civil rights, people might respond differently.

I don’t think there will be a cry to do this. Disney is a part of the positive childhood experiences of a few generations. I don’t think there’s enough of a public desire to call for this.
It would represent consistency if there was.
Had Disney statues been erected in neighborhoods as a part of opposition to civil rights, people might respond differently.
I don’t think statues of Lincoln, Grant, Teddy Roosevelt, etc. were erected in opposition to civil rights, but I might be wrong.

Look, my comment was a bit sarcastic. I find the comments on the movies to be virtue signaling. They certainly won’t bite the hand that feeds them.

Last edited:
No, it was not a great movie and it is cringe-worthy now.
Yes it was. Stop acting offended and pitching a fit because someone likes a movie you don’t. I am sure you like a lot of actually crappy movies; why would that bother anyone?

You rebut an opinion as though someone is posting their solution to Fermat’s Last Theorem; relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back