Displaying Statues

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lek
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I… My thought is that if I was going to display statues of Jesus and Mary together, I would have a smaller one of Mary or place hers in a way that would indicate she was subordinate to Jesus. …
Something that might help your uneasiness:
Consider that Jesus chose to have a normal human body - not a body that was larger, stronger,etc. and would visibly manifest His superiority and divinity.
 
Any Madonna and child picture or statue shows a grown woman holding a baby it doesn’t mean that that baby isn’t representing the divine God incarnate just because he is depicted a baby. Often times in art, the baby Jesus, will have his arm across her in some way protecting his mother. Let’s also not pretend that there have not been apparitions where Jesus has appeared to people as a small child most notably to Saint Anthony and most recently mother Angelica had the Divino Nino speak to her.
 
You may want to view this in a similar display to the court house in town. There is usually a flag of the United States and a State Flag. Often two flags, side by side, same height above the ground.

There is no implication that the state has more authority or equal authority to the federal government.

Similarly, Mary and Jesus are both important, as would be Jesus with any saint. But there is no implication of who has the authority. For that you must look beyond the display, to the teachings.
Often it seems that there is only a statue of Mary in someones yard. Why is this so?
 
Often it seems that there is only a statue of Mary in someones yard. Why is this so?
Each homeowner probably has their own reasons for displaying a statue of the Virgin Mary in their yard. Many Catholics have a special devotion to the Virgin Mary, not only because she is a great example of a Christian saint, but also because they regard her as their adopted mother in Christ (see John 19:26-27 and Revelation 12:17), who watches over them from heaven with a mother’s loving care, ceaselessly praying to God for them and obtaining divine favors for them.
 
Often it seems that there is only a statue of Mary in someones yard. Why is this so?
I think it is because of the connection between Mary and gardens/flowers in (small t) tradition.

A person’s yard isn’t a poster for his/her theology. That is,* absence* of other statues or faith related yard decorations doesn’t imply lack of devotion to any other aspect of the faith.
 
I hope I’ve chosen the right forum to post this in. It’s the closest I could find. This involves my continuing uneasy feeling abut the status of Mary in the Catholic church and I’d like to get your opinion. My neighbors across the street are Catholic and they put two good-sized statues in their front yard. One is of Jesus and the other is of Mary. This is obviously an attention-getter for people who drive or walk by, and an obvious advertisement of their faith. I don’t happen to have a problem with statues as many other Protestants do, but I do have a problem with this display. What bothers me is that the statue of Jesus is at one side of the house front and the statue of Mary, which is the same size as that of Jesus, is at the other side. It seems that anyone going by who is not familiar with Catholic doctrine could be led to believe that Jesus and Mary are considered to be on the same level, which by the way, is what many believe. Am I nit-picking here? My thought is that if I was going to display statues of Jesus and Mary together, I would have a smaller one of Mary or place hers in a way that would indicate she was subordinate to Jesus. I’m probably more sensitive to this that most christians, but having conversed at length with atheists and other non-christians, I’ve found they often form impressions based on seemingly insignificant things.
My very favourite image of Mary and Jesus is Our Lady of Perpetual Help. In this icon Mary is the largest figure in the picture. She appears strong and intense as she looks directly into the eyes of whoever is looking at the icon while holding Jesus in one arm. Jesus has one sandal is dangling from his foot as a symbol of his struggle and upset state, and his little hands cling to Mary’s thumbs in fear as he looks towards St Michael and St Gabriel who are bringing to him the instruments of his crucifixion.

I think a lot of people who don’t have any understanding of icons or Catholicism could easily misconstrue this image to mean something that it doesn’t. But really the icon points to some very important spiritual truths in our faith and we are not going to deny these just because a few people might get the wrong idea. But we do have to be ready to give an account of our beliefs and to help others understand. But we can never, ever, deny the faith or water it down just because it might make someone uncomfortable.
 
Consider that Jesus is the only human flesh ever to exist Who created His own mother. God’s divine plan, since before creation, was that His Son would take flesh through a woman created specifically and exclusively for that purpose. Her flesh is equal to His flesh in dignity, but Mary is purely human while Jesus is both human and divine. Since Jesus chose to come to earth by taking the flesh of the mother He designed and created for Himself, that makes her the most special of all mothers, and the most special of all humans.

Mary’s job before Jesus’ public ministry was to bring the Savior to the world. Once He began preaching, her job changed forever to bringing the world to her Savior - Who also happens to be the Savior of the world. Now, you can argue over the taste or prudence used in your neighbor’s display, but there is probably little argument as to their faith.
 
I hope I’ve chosen the right forum to post this in. It’s the closest I could find. This involves my continuing uneasy feeling abut the status of Mary in the Catholic church and I’d like to get your opinion. My neighbors across the street are Catholic and they put two good-sized statues in their front yard. One is of Jesus and the other is of Mary. This is obviously an attention-getter for people who drive or walk by, and an obvious advertisement of their faith. I don’t happen to have a problem with statues as many other Protestants do, but I do have a problem with this display. What bothers me is that the statue of Jesus is at one side of the house front and the statue of Mary, which is the same size as that of Jesus, is at the other side. It seems that anyone going by who is not familiar with Catholic doctrine could be led to believe that Jesus and Mary are considered to be on the same level, which by the way, is what many believe. Am I nit-picking here? My thought is that if I was going to display statues of Jesus and Mary together, I would have a smaller one of Mary or place hers in a way that would indicate she was subordinate to Jesus. I’m probably more sensitive to this that most christians, but having conversed at length with atheists and other non-christians, I’ve found they often form impressions based on seemingly insignificant things.
So do you think Jesus is angry with these Catholics because his mother was not put in a lower stature as him?
 
Dear Bernadette, Sounds like our friends, the Jehovah Witnesses. Please read the message I posted above yours. I am planning to wear a Crucifix to let others know I follow Christ and there’s nothing wrong with it. There’s an abortion clinic not too far from here, and I believe that we Christians need to be more visible because we’re being persecuted in modern day America.

You sound confused, dear. If you take your whole message, it’s not cohesive. Pictures of family wrong? You need a spiritual advisor who’s a good Catholic. Either you don’t know Catholicism or you’re misrepresenting yourself.
I think BernadetteM was being sarcastic about the pictures of family and friends etc. I say this because I have a “friend” who thinks that Catholics worship pictures of Jesus, Mary etc. She calls them Idols. I in turn told her that the pictures she has in her home of loved ones aren’t idols, she doesn’t worship them, they are reminders of the people she loves and cares about. The same go’s for Catholic pictures and statues. Pictures are a reminder of our Dear Lord. We display them with great love.
 
My very favourite image of Mary and Jesus is Our Lady of Perpetual Help. In this icon Mary is the largest figure in the picture. She appears strong and intense as she looks directly into the eyes of whoever is looking at the icon while holding Jesus in one arm. Jesus has one sandal is dangling from his foot as a symbol of his struggle and upset state, and his little hands cling to Mary’s thumbs in fear as he looks towards St Michael and St Gabriel who are bringing to him the instruments of his crucifixion.

I think a lot of people who don’t have any understanding of icons or Catholicism could easily misconstrue this image to mean something that it doesn’t. But really the icon points to some very important spiritual truths in our faith and we are not going to deny these just because a few people might get the wrong idea. But we do have to be ready to give an account of our beliefs and to help others understand. But we can never, ever, deny the faith or water it down just because it might make someone uncomfortable.
AMEN, God Bless, Memaw
 
Consider that Jesus is the only human flesh ever to exist Who created His own mother. God’s divine plan, since before creation, was that His Son would take flesh through a woman created specifically and exclusively for that purpose. Her flesh is equal to His flesh in dignity, but Mary is purely human while Jesus is both human and divine. Since Jesus chose to come to earth by taking the flesh of the mother He designed and created for Himself, that makes her the most special of all mothers, and the most special of all humans.

Mary’s job before Jesus’ public ministry was to bring the Savior to the world. Once He began preaching, her job changed forever to bringing the world to her Savior - Who also happens to be the Savior of the world. Now, you can argue over the taste or prudence used in your neighbor’s display, but there is probably little argument as to their faith.
Beautifully said !! God Bless, Memaw The size really doesn’t matter, they come in all different sizes. Maybe they were purchased at different times or were gifts, who knows?? Doesn’t matter. it’s who they represent that matters. I have a pretty large collection of Blessed Mother vases and no two faces of Her and Jesus are alike. Does that matter. NO.
 
I think BernadetteM was being sarcastic about the pictures of family and friends etc. I say this because I have a “friend” who thinks that Catholics worship pictures of Jesus, Mary etc. She calls them Idols. I in turn told her that the pictures she has in her home of loved ones aren’t idols, she doesn’t worship them, they are reminders of the people she loves and cares about. The same go’s for Catholic pictures and statues. Pictures are a reminder of our Dear Lord. We display them with great love.
EXACTLY Catie, I am glad someone understands what I meant. Of course it is ridiculous for anyone to condemn picutres, statues, etc. of saints, Jesus or anything else if it is not to worship them. Every protestant I know of has pictures, many images of things on the earth, under the sea etc. and I can’t judge if they worship them, especially their children’s and wife’s pictures. As a convert of many years I have yet to see any Catholic worship any statue or picture or even our Blessed Mother.

If it is wrong to have pictures and statues of saints etc., if you take the commandment in a literal manner, you cannot have any type of image either. The strict Amish do not allow any pictures and as I do recall very Orthodox Jews, at least until recently, did not allow pictures taken of them.

Thanks for your common sense as it seems to be lacking in society today.

God Bless

Bernadette
 
I hope I’ve chosen the right forum to post this in. It’s the closest I could find. This involves my continuing uneasy feeling abut the status of Mary in the Catholic church and I’d like to get your opinion. My neighbors across the street are Catholic and they put two good-sized statues in their front yard. One is of Jesus and the other is of Mary. This is obviously an attention-getter for people who drive or walk by, and an obvious advertisement of their faith. I don’t happen to have a problem with statues as many other Protestants do, but I do have a problem with this display. What bothers me is that the statue of Jesus is at one side of the house front and the statue of Mary, which is the same size as that of Jesus, is at the other side. It seems that anyone going by who is not familiar with Catholic doctrine could be led to believe that Jesus and Mary are considered to be on the same level, which by the way, is what many believe. Am I nit-picking here?
Yes 😉
L:
My thought is that if I was going to display statues of Jesus and Mary together, I would have a smaller one of Mary or place hers in a way that would indicate she was subordinate to Jesus. I’m probably more sensitive to this that most christians, but having conversed at length with atheists and other non-christians, I’ve found they often form impressions based on seemingly insignificant things.
seems to me that’s your answer
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top