Divine Intimacy

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheExorcist
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheExorcist

Guest
Hi all,

Anybody use Divine Intimacy for daily prayers and meditations. Any thoughts pro or con?

Thanks!

Charles
 
I have never used it, but I have sold it.

They are sometimes hard to come by. Especially the current book. (There are 4 books broken down by liturgical season)

So shop early.
 
I usually would not share intimacy with someone across the Internet.

There are all sorts of prayers in Catholicism that suggest it.
 
I have never used it, but I have sold it.

They are sometimes hard to come by. Especially the current book. (There are 4 books broken down by liturgical season)

So shop early.
Our local traditional bookstore has it in one volume for the whole year bound nicely. I think by Baronius.
 
Hi all,

Anybody use Divine Intimacy for daily prayers and meditations. Any thoughts pro or con?

Thanks!

Charles
Hi, I am a new Catholic and will be confirmed on April 7th.What is Divine Intimacy?..I look for methods for better meditation and want a closer walk with God in my prayer life.
Thank you and God bless, Kelly O’Mara
 
I have the Baronius edition and I think it’s wonderful. I’m trying to make it regular habit (busy schedule makes it difficult) but I would love to use it as my mental prayer routing in additional to my vocal (Liturgy of the Hours).

It’s very Carmelite in spirituality but in a style both deep yet accessible.
 
Divine Intimacy has the subtitle “Meditations On The Interior Life For Every Day Of The Liturgical Year”.

It was written by Fr Gabriel of St Mary Magdalen, O.C.D.

It has a very strong Carmelite influence but then it was written by a Discalced Carmelite.

I have a copy and have used it.

The problem I find is that it is laid out for the old liturgical year, that is the pre-vatican II liturgical calendar. I have not found an easy way to translate it to the current one.
 
Divine Intimacy has the subtitle “Meditations On The Interior Life For Every Day Of The Liturgical Year”.

It was written by Fr Gabriel of St Mary Magdalen, O.C.D.

It has a very strong Carmelite influence but then it was written by a Discalced Carmelite.

I have a copy and have used it.

The problem I find is that it is laid out for the old liturgical year, that is the pre-vatican II liturgical calendar. I have not found an easy way to translate it to the current one.
Ignatius Press publishes a rearranged version for the modern Calendar in multiple volumes in both print and EPUB (ebook) formats:

ignatius.com/Products/DI1-P/divine-intimacy-vol-1.aspx
ignatius.com/Products/DI2-P/divine-intimacy-vol-2.aspx
ignatius.com/Products/DI3-P/divine-intimacy-vol-3.aspx

I don’t know if there’s a fourth volume though.
 
Ignatius Press publishes a rearranged version for the modern Calendar in multiple volumes in both print and EPUB (ebook) formats:

ignatius.com/Products/DI1-P/divine-intimacy-vol-1.aspx
ignatius.com/Products/DI2-P/divine-intimacy-vol-2.aspx
ignatius.com/Products/DI3-P/divine-intimacy-vol-3.aspx

I don’t know if there’s a fourth volume though.
Maybe that was the one maryjk was speaking of. This bookstore is a distributor and store of traditional Catholic goods and they are loosely affiliated with the nearby SSPX chapel. Lots of writings by and about Archbishop Lefebvre there.
 
Ignatius Press publishes a rearranged version for the modern Calendar in multiple volumes in both print and EPUB (ebook) formats:

ignatius.com/Products/DI1-P/divine-intimacy-vol-1.aspx
ignatius.com/Products/DI2-P/divine-intimacy-vol-2.aspx
ignatius.com/Products/DI3-P/divine-intimacy-vol-3.aspx

I don’t know if there’s a fourth volume though.
Seeing that I already have a single volume published by TAN I am not going to replace it.

I have to do with what I have.
 
Seeing that I already have a single volume published by TAN I am not going to replace it.

I have to do with what I have.
That’s the edition I have. As you said, it uses the old calendar. Whenever I’ve been away from it for a while and go back, I find the closest major feast and count weeks back or forward to where we are at the time.
A bit clumsy, but it works for me.
 
That’s the edition I have. As you said, it uses the old calendar. Whenever I’ve been away from it for a while and go back, I find the closest major feast and count weeks back or forward to where we are at the time.
A bit clumsy, but it works for me.
Well I have an odd prayer life in that I attend the traditional Mass but recite the Ordinary Form Liturgy of the hours. So I can easily keep track of both calendars.

You could get an FSSP Ordo to help keep you on track if you don’t track the traditional calendar at all.
 
Well I have an odd prayer life in that I attend the traditional Mass but recite the Ordinary Form Liturgy of the hours. So I can easily keep track of both calendars.

You could get an FSSP Ordo to help keep you on track if you don’t track the traditional calendar at all.
That’s what I am thinking of doing.

So many calendars, ugh!

Have the standard Roman Calendar, then the Carmelite ordo and then the Byzantine Ruthenian Church’s calendar.

Can get a bit messed up some days.
 
Ignatius Press publishes a rearranged version for the modern Calendar in multiple volumes in both print and EPUB (ebook) formats:

ignatius.com/Products/DI1-P/divine-intimacy-vol-1.aspx
ignatius.com/Products/DI2-P/divine-intimacy-vol-2.aspx
ignatius.com/Products/DI3-P/divine-intimacy-vol-3.aspx

I don’t know if there’s a fourth volume though.
There are some reviews of this on Amazon saying that this edition was not just rearranged, but heavily revised. Something to consider and look into before buying.
 
There are some reviews of this on Amazon saying that this edition was not just rearranged, but heavily revised. Something to consider and look into before buying.
I recommend the original (arranged according to the old calendar). I have leafed through the revised version and I agree that it is not as good. I have the TAN softcover version which is getting dogeared. At some point I may consider buying the hardcover.

If you have trouble with the calendar, a simple Google search can find an EF calendar for the current year.
 
I recommend the original (arranged according to the old calendar). I have leafed through the revised version and I agree that it is not as good. I have the TAN softcover version which is getting dogeared. At some point I may consider buying the hardcover.

If you have trouble with the calendar, a simple Google search can find an EF calendar for the current year.
😃
Found that out last night!
👍
 
I am using the Tan edition of Divine Intimacy. My sources for the Liturgical Calendar:

Roman Catholic Daily Missal 1962
www.fsspolgs.org for their current Liturgical Calendar.

I hope this is helpful.👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top