There are times when I want to jump in and help my son with his problems. It absolutely hurts to see him muddle his way through things, especially when I know that there is a better way to do what he is doing. However, I am told to leave him alone because that is how he learns, and I guess that is true. If I were to help him with every problem he has, he would not grow and find out who he is and how he fits into the big picture – or even to be aware that there is a big picture. But it hurts to watch him struggle.
Sometimes, I wait until he asks for help and then I will give assistance. Other times, I will not help him, but tell him he has to figure it out for himself. But I am still there. He often doesn’t like the way I help or withhold help, but he knows that I want what’s best for him.
God has a bigger picture in mind, dealing with our eternal happiness. He helps us, but in a way that He knows is best, and that can be letting us work things out, at least for a while. He also respects our free will. Sometimes, we ask ‘why’ and can figure out the answer; other times, we can ask ‘why’ but the answer isn’t there – we just need to trust in His love and wisdom.
I am sorry for rambling – I should have given that up for Lent – and I know that believing what I believe and have said here is easier said than done. But God would not have brought you this far just for His amusement or just to let you fall by the wayside. I’ve heard it said that sometimes He waits 'til the last minute to answer to build up our faith. All I know is that He made me, He sustains me, He forgives me, and He is sanctifying me, in His own way and in His own time. I just have to be alert to say ‘yes’ when He directs me. Hang in there, chromatica!
God bless,
Dan