D
didymus
Guest
A question about our asst. pastor’s sermon this morning. First of all, it was quite good, Fr. F talked about the Communion of Saints, the role of saints who have gone before us, &c.
But then he quoted St Anathasius [sp?]
as saying that “God became Man so that man might become God.” and I sort of went “huh?” The only thing I know about St Anathasius is his creed, obviously written to combat heresy.
Then Fr. went on to say that when we receive the Eucharist, the Body and Blood, we are “divinised” and he used the term a couple times. Has anyone heard this before?
If he had said “we partake Christ’s body, blood, soul and divinity” I wouldn’t have thought twice, and part of his theme was asking Christ to make us more like Him so maybe Fr. was just using an odd choice of words.
I did like that he pointed out that the Body and Blood are something we can only receive “here, in the Catholic Church” (actually in the Orthodox as well, but why quibble?). I suspect our pastor would never say such a thing.
But then he quoted St Anathasius [sp?]
as saying that “God became Man so that man might become God.” and I sort of went “huh?” The only thing I know about St Anathasius is his creed, obviously written to combat heresy.
Then Fr. went on to say that when we receive the Eucharist, the Body and Blood, we are “divinised” and he used the term a couple times. Has anyone heard this before?
If he had said “we partake Christ’s body, blood, soul and divinity” I wouldn’t have thought twice, and part of his theme was asking Christ to make us more like Him so maybe Fr. was just using an odd choice of words.
I did like that he pointed out that the Body and Blood are something we can only receive “here, in the Catholic Church” (actually in the Orthodox as well, but why quibble?). I suspect our pastor would never say such a thing.