divorce and annulment

  • Thread starter Thread starter filipea
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

filipea

Guest
Hi,

My question is about divorce and annulment. My mother and my father has divorced. It was a couple years ago. Now, both of them have boyfriend(my mom) and girlfriend(my dad). Accordind to the bible they are living in adultery right? It’s looks like yes, even I like to thing on the contrary…

Now, I was thinking that maybe the married was not valid…if in the day of their married they was marring for wrong things(ex: pregnancy, money whatever…)…Even they don’t get a annulment from the church…there is a possible that God can forgive them? Or it’s necessary to get a annulment - it’s not just a piece of paper?.

I’m asking this because I see only what it’s is meant to be…maybe for God that see all things it can be different you know…I try to think that it’s not what it’s like…

In fact, I love my parents…I don’t want to judge them in a wrong way…I’m afraid of their souls…and eternal life…

Actually, my mom is not catholic anymore nor my dad…

Is there anything I could do?

thanks, God bless.
 
Hi,
Now, I was thinking that maybe the married was not valid…if in the day of their married they was marring for wrong things(ex: pregnancy, money whatever…)…Even they don’t get a annulment from the church…there is a possible that God can forgive them? Or it’s necessary to get a annulment - it’s not just a piece of paper?.

thanks, God bless.
In the first place we will discuss a hypothetical case, since none of us can say which individual is in a state of sin, but we can say which actions are sinful, so yes anyone who attempts remarriage after divorce, because they are still in a presumably valid marriage, is committing adultery. The sinful state of life has to be ended, confessed and absolved. (and sometimes there were sins that led to the divorce itself, which also need to be confessed and absolved). So yes such a person is in need of forgiveness, which cannot come until they end the sinful condition or state.

Annulment is not about forgiveness, however, it is about a legal process to determine if the original marriage was valid from its inception. Since the bible says a valid marriage cannot be ended by any power on earth, except for causes of illegality, and since Jesus gave the Church authority to judge such legal matters, then it follows the Church can examine a marriage that has failed to the extent the parties have left each other, to see if it was validly undertaken. That process is called “annulment” but the result is actually a decree of nullity, a legal declaration of the facts.

No there is nothing you can do, they are adults who have chosen their paths freely and each individual has to take steps to insure their own salvation. You can remind gently, but use words you yourself would not find hurtful or unhelpful if the positions were reveresed. The best thing you can do is pray for them.
 
Annie has presented the information perfectly well. Perhaps all yo can do is to express your concerns to your parents and then hold them up in prayer before the Lord.
My mother did this for me for some 35 years before I came back to The Church - so be patient and loving.

Peace
James
 
Best bet - ask out of curiosity - then drop the subject. Buy them a book - back in the day ther were many misconceptions about decrees of nullity. This is not an argument you should ever have with your parents.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top