Divorce in the Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zenas
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zenas

Guest
The Bible tells us a lot about divorce. In the O.T. we learn of the various laws pertaining to divorce. In the N.T. Jesus and Paul both teach extensively on the subject. But is there any instance in the Bible where we read about specific people getting divorced? I can’t recall any but then I could be overlooking something. Does anyone know for sure?
 
The Bible tells us a lot about divorce. In the O.T. we learn of the various laws pertaining to divorce. In the N.T. Jesus and Paul both teach extensively on the subject. But is there any instance in the Bible where we read about specific people getting divorced? I can’t recall any but then I could be overlooking something. Does anyone know for sure?
Possibly. Shaharaim (sp?) sent away two wives in 1 Chronicles 8:8. You also have the whole Ezra incident where all the foreign wives were put away. That is in chapter 10, I think. There is a list of names given there. But you might not “count” them, because the wives were foreign. It depends on what you are looking for, exactly.

I don’t think God would have a law like that with no purpose though. I have no reason to think there weren’t, say, priests who saw a potential woman to marry, but couldn’t, on account of her divorced state.
 
Note that Saint Joseph intended to divorce the Blessed Mother before God corrected him.
18* Now the birth of Jesus Christ * took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child of the Holy Spirit; 19 and her husband Joseph, being a just man and unwilling to put her to shame, resolved to send her away. 20 But as he considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit; 21* she will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.”
Matthew 1:18-21
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top