I’m going to take for granted the fact that your husband is not abusive or otherwise placing you or your kids in danger. (If I am wrong, please tell me) We are going on 13 years of marriage and I can honestly say that over half of those years have been miserable. For pretty much the first 7 or 8 I thought that this was just my cross to bear in life and that I just had to accept that I was going to live in an unhappy marriage. I too only stayed for the kids and I honestly believed that my marriage, although unhappy, was valid and that I could not get a divorce.
We also married young and we had children right away. The first 5 or 6 years were spent just trying to keep our heads above water financially, emotionally, and every other way. Looking back, the biggest mistake I made early on in my marriage was not recognizing that a marriage needs to be nurtured like a child. As mothers we tend to put our husbands on the back burner. We figure that here we have these little babies that need us for their very existance and at the end of the day we are exhausted and just don’t have anything left for this adult man who should be able to fend for himself for awhile.
While this attitude seems logical and practical, it isn’t condusive to intimacy, like it or not. When I realized that I had to “work” on making my marriage a happy one things started to get much better. Now, this is not going to be easy. Often times there have been so many hurt feelings, so much water under the bridge, that we have hardened our hearts and find it impossible to be the one to take the first step. And even if one can muster the courage to take that first step, the other may reject us more than once and we become discouraged. All I can say is that eventually persitance, patience and prayer will pay off.
Marriage is a sacrament. We can call on God to give us the graces promised to us in this sacrament. Trust in that Grace.
I will be praying for you. I have friends with children who have gone through divorce and remarriage, as do we all. Divorce is a tragedy. There is no greater gift or example of christian charity you can give to your children then faithfully living your marriage vocation.