R
RNRobert
Guest
In the thread Sola Scriptura: It’s Found in the Bible and an Idiot Can Practice It
I came across this statement:
%between%
"sandusky:
Many Protestants (like the ones mentioned above) seem to be under the impression that Catholics hate the Bible, or at least relegate it to the background. As a fundamentalist I used to read how the bad old Catholic Church kept the Bible in Latin so laypeople couldn’t read it, kept it chained to keep people from discovering it, and even (horror!) burned Bibles! I also read how Martin Luther “discovered” the Bible and made it available to all.
This is, to put it poliitely, a crock.
It was the Catholic church that wrote the New Testament,
determined the canon, and preserved the Bible for over a millenia before Luther’s revolt. Protestants wouldn’t even have a Bible if it wasn’t for the Catholic Church, something even Luther admits. Isn’t it ironic that Protestants hijack our Scriptures (throwing out some books in the process) and then use it to beat us over the head with?
The Catholic Mass is steeped in the Scriptures. At the beginning of Mass the lectionary (the book containing the Scripture readings for the year) is carried through the church in a procession with the priest and altar servers. During the Mass, there is a reading from the Old Testament, followed by a recitation of a Psalm, followed by a New Testament epistle and then the Gospel. The prayers said at the beginning of Mass, during the Liturgy of the Eucharist, and at the end are all Scripture based. I hear more Scripture in a Catholic Mass than I heard in a Protestant service.
Many Popes have encouraged laypeople to read Scripture on their own. The Enchiridion of Indulgences provides an indulgence for at least a half-hour of Scripture reading each day.
I think the problem with Protestants (particularly fundamentalists) is that they have an either-or mentality (i.e., Scripture* or *Tradition, Jesus *or *Mary, faith *or *works, etc), while Catholics think in terms of both-and. They seem to think that because we value tradition, that somehow we disrespect the Scriptures, which is untrue. The Church considers itself the servant of Scripture (Dei Verbum 10, Vatican II), and Sacred Tradition is necessary to properly interpret Scripture (everybody reads their own traditions into Scripture, despite what they claim). For non-Catholics to claim that we disrespect Scripture or downplay it is downright false.
I came across this statement:
%between%
"sandusky:
It’s not the first time I’ve encountered such an attitude among non-Catholics. Today I came across this gem:IMO, the true aim of those who oppose SS, if it is not the dismantling of the Bible, is certainly the diminishing of its authority, and its importance.
Three years ago when I joined this forum, I posted a thread outlining my reasons for abandoning Sola Scriptura and embracing Catholicism. While most of the Protestants participating were civil, there was one who accused me of “trampling on holy ground.”Do you, a Roman Catholic, even need to possess a Bible? Couldn’t you function perfectly well as a RC without one since RC’ism is not actually Biblically based but traditionally based?
Many Protestants (like the ones mentioned above) seem to be under the impression that Catholics hate the Bible, or at least relegate it to the background. As a fundamentalist I used to read how the bad old Catholic Church kept the Bible in Latin so laypeople couldn’t read it, kept it chained to keep people from discovering it, and even (horror!) burned Bibles! I also read how Martin Luther “discovered” the Bible and made it available to all.
This is, to put it poliitely, a crock.
It was the Catholic church that wrote the New Testament,
determined the canon, and preserved the Bible for over a millenia before Luther’s revolt. Protestants wouldn’t even have a Bible if it wasn’t for the Catholic Church, something even Luther admits. Isn’t it ironic that Protestants hijack our Scriptures (throwing out some books in the process) and then use it to beat us over the head with?
The Catholic Mass is steeped in the Scriptures. At the beginning of Mass the lectionary (the book containing the Scripture readings for the year) is carried through the church in a procession with the priest and altar servers. During the Mass, there is a reading from the Old Testament, followed by a recitation of a Psalm, followed by a New Testament epistle and then the Gospel. The prayers said at the beginning of Mass, during the Liturgy of the Eucharist, and at the end are all Scripture based. I hear more Scripture in a Catholic Mass than I heard in a Protestant service.
Many Popes have encouraged laypeople to read Scripture on their own. The Enchiridion of Indulgences provides an indulgence for at least a half-hour of Scripture reading each day.
I think the problem with Protestants (particularly fundamentalists) is that they have an either-or mentality (i.e., Scripture* or *Tradition, Jesus *or *Mary, faith *or *works, etc), while Catholics think in terms of both-and. They seem to think that because we value tradition, that somehow we disrespect the Scriptures, which is untrue. The Church considers itself the servant of Scripture (Dei Verbum 10, Vatican II), and Sacred Tradition is necessary to properly interpret Scripture (everybody reads their own traditions into Scripture, despite what they claim). For non-Catholics to claim that we disrespect Scripture or downplay it is downright false.