Do devotions really help?

  • Thread starter Thread starter thestudentAD
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thestudentAD

Guest
Hey, all!
Do Devotions really help?
I’ve been praying the rosary to kick an old porn habit (Havent’ done that particular mortal sin combination in weeks now). I’ve also been doing a Divine Mercy Chaplet, but I struggle with whether or not to do a Sacred Heart devotion from a booklet I have.
Long story short: Do they really help? I’ve had feelings in my head sometimes when I pray them. Do they get us closer to heaven?

Peace of Christ,

thestudentAD
 
Devotions are helpful, certainly, but they are not a cure-all for our sins. If you have difficulty with a particular sin or type of sins, you should read good Catholic material that will help you correct your way of thinking not just stop doing the sin. In this case, perhaps “Theology of the Body” might be beneficial. In any case, you should schedule an appointment with your confessor so he can recommend options for you. The confessional isn’t really the place for advice, so make time to talk to him. Don’t be embarrassed–he’s heard it all. It’s no different from going to a doctor with a recurring illness, for habitual sin is a kind of illness, so let your priest guide you in ways to overcome it. God bless you for your efforts to remain pure. 🙂
 
In my case, they do help. I try to pray the Rosary daily and recently added the Divine Mercy. I noticed a huge difference in how I behave and how prone I am to sin, particularly mortal sin. I definitely feel as though these devotions are resulting in the Lord giving me the grace to reject sin more and more.
 
Hi thestudentAD,

I think that devotions can help us. I believe that they can add richness and variety to our prayer life, and also help bring us closer to God. 🙂
 
They are to build up your interior life and bring you closer to the Lord.
Give it time. Relationships take time to build, no?
😉
 
I have found the rosary to be a huge help in my life. Since I began praying it regularly several years ago, I’ve changed (for the better, I think!).

Just don’t treat devotions as “magic charms”…the main purpose of a devotion is not to “get” something, but to show our devotion to God and honor His Mother.

(Not saying you are doing this, by the way! My comment is just in general to anyone)
 
Like others above have said, you’ve got to put in the time to build the relationship. We enthroned our home several years ago, and it surprised me how much it changed my relationship with Christ. I talked about it here:

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=775895

I’m doing “33 Days to Morning Glory” right now, and it’s blowing my mind.

Good luck with your struggles. Let us know if you need prayers.

Sheepless
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top