Do I have to support or like Christian Movies?

  • Thread starter Thread starter adawgj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be dense; I keep attending these movies, hoping that one will be worth while, and I’m always disappointed. “God is Not Dead” was a real stinker, horrendous acting, ridiculous plot and subplots.

I sometimes wonder if this isn’t an indication of the opinion Hollywood has of the intelligence of people of faith. Do they think that all they have to do is throw a religious theme in, and we have not the taste or intelligence to view it critically?

I do have to say I found “For Greater Glory” interesting, but that might be because of my ignorance of that period in Mexico.
 
I must be dense; I keep attending these movies, hoping that one will be worth while, and I’m always disappointed. “God is Not Dead” was a real stinker, horrendous acting, ridiculous plot and subplots.

I sometimes wonder if this isn’t an indication of the opinion Hollywood has of the intelligence of people of faith. Do they think that all they have to do is throw a religious theme in, and we have not the taste or intelligence to view it critically?

I do have to say I found “For Greater Glory” interesting, but that might be because of my ignorance of that period in Mexico.
For Greater Glory, very good one.

Some of these “Christian” movies and maybe they are more like Fundamentalist movies are not being made in Hollywood.

I enjoyed one, I can’t even remember now, the teenage boys got killed in a car wreck and it’s about how the family handles it. It’s probably by the same company that did “October Baby”, October Baby is warts and all for me, I concede it’s not a high budget movie but as one post above alludes too, maybe that can be a charm and I like it.

I think a lot of these movies like “Courage”, “Facing the Giants”, those are made by a company in Georgia, I think there are two brothers doing this.
 
I must be dense; I keep attending these movies, hoping that one will be worth while, and I’m always disappointed. “God is Not Dead” was a real stinker, horrendous acting, ridiculous plot and subplots.

I sometimes wonder if this isn’t an indication of the opinion Hollywood has of the intelligence of people of faith. Do they think that all they have to do is throw a religious theme in, and we have not the taste or intelligence to view it critically?

I do have to say I found “For Greater Glory” interesting, but that might be because of my ignorance of that period in Mexico.
Yeah I found “For Greater Glory” to be really good. It was kind of lengthy though.
 
I despise Christian movies. Most of them are super cheesy, predictable and badly acted.
 
I’m a huge movie viewer. Over the years I have started to become more of a movie critic type viewer when it comes to movies.

So their have been a lot of Christian movies coming out over the years and I must be honest, they are terrible. The message they promote is great, but the acting, scriptwriting, filming is awful. I’m talking about the movies “To Save a Life”, “Facing the Giants”, “Son of God”, “God’s Not Dead” etc.

The problem I have with these movies is their is nothing artistic worthy about them. Everything is so bland in those movies. Of course not every Christian movie is bad, I’m a big fan of Ignatius Press movies “Restless Heart Story of St. Augustine”, “Mother Teresa”. I guess my movie taste is biased toward Catholic films than evangelical.

Would that be a bad thing? Am I supposed to support and love every evangelical movie that is released because it promotes something Christian?
I love movies, too, but I agree that a lot of them are exceedingly preachy. I would love to see a movie which expresses devoutly religious views, while at the same time holding great artistic merit.
 
I haven’t seen it (yet), but Passion of Joan of Arc is ranked as the eighth greatest movie ever, so I guess that that would be a religious film of tremendous merit.
 
I’m a huge movie viewer. Over the years I have started to become more of a movie critic type viewer when it comes to movies.

So their have been a lot of Christian movies coming out over the years and I must be honest, they are terrible. The message they promote is great, but the acting, scriptwriting, filming is awful. I’m talking about the movies “To Save a Life”, “Facing the Giants”, “Son of God”, “God’s Not Dead” etc.

The problem I have with these movies is their is nothing artistic worthy about them. Everything is so bland in those movies. Of course not every Christian movie is bad, I’m a big fan of Ignatius Press movies “Restless Heart Story of St. Augustine”, “Mother Teresa”. I guess my movie taste is biased toward Catholic films than evangelical.

Would that be a bad thing? Am I supposed to support and love every evangelical movie that is released because it promotes something Christian?
Aren’t the vast majority of those pictures actually fundamentalist in nature? They are not Catholic but fundamentalist, and the makers of these films do not even think of Catholics as being Christians because we believe in the Sacraments and Baptism forgiving sins. Instead of just gettin’ saved.

Of course Ignatius makes Catholic films. There is a huge difference.
 
I’m a huge movie viewer. Over the years I have started to become more of a movie critic type viewer when it comes to movies.

So their have been a lot of Christian movies coming out over the years and I must be honest, they are terrible. The message they promote is great, but the acting, scriptwriting, filming is awful. I’m talking about the movies “To Save a Life”, “Facing the Giants”, “Son of God”, “God’s Not Dead” etc.

The problem I have with these movies is their is nothing artistic worthy about them. Everything is so bland in those movies. Of course not every Christian movie is bad, I’m a big fan of Ignatius Press movies “Restless Heart Story of St. Augustine”, “Mother Teresa”. I guess my movie taste is biased toward Catholic films than evangelical.

Would that be a bad thing? Am I supposed to support and love every evangelical movie that is released because it promotes something Christian?
There’s no mandate that you have to watch or enjoy them. I watch a fair amount with my family, mainly because I like watching stuff with my kids that doesn’t contain objectionable material and isn’t afraid to put religion in a positive light. That being said, most of them aren’t that good, and most of them are evangelical. Still, once you’ve seen a few it’s easier to enjoy the bad acting and poor production values, mainly because they’re an extra source of entertainment while watching the movie.
 
I just watched God’s Not Dead last night and thought it was perfectly awful. Predictable, corny, and badly acted. Just the sort of thing I expected it to be.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top