Do I need to confess to missing Mass when I wasn't Catholic?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlanTaylor
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlanTaylor

Guest
So I understand it is a mortal sin to miss Mass and Holy Days of Obligation however when does this come into affect? For example I am in RCIA and have missed Mass once or ttwice far during this process. Will I need to confess this?
 
Last edited:
So I understand it is a mortal sin to miss Mass and Holy Days of Obligation however when does this come into affect? For example I am in RCIA and have missed Mass once or ttwice far during this process. Will I need to confess this?
As a non-Catholic you have no Mass obligation, even though you are in RCIA with the intention of becoming a Catholic. The answer is therefore no you did not commit a sin.
 
So I understand it is a mortal sin to miss Mass and Holy Days of Obligation however when does this come into affect? For example I am in RCIA and have missed Mass once or ttwice far during this process. Will I need to confess this?
You are not obligated to follow the Church’s rules on Mass attendance until you are a member. No, you do not need to confess this.
 
If you knew that attending Mass each Sunday was what what you were told to do then you refused to follow God. Confess!
If you were never instructed to attend Mass every Sunday or did not knew this was what you should have done then you did not sin mortally.
So, only if you in you conscience knew the (name removed by moderator)ortance of attending Mass as a non-Catholic then confess it.
What do you think?
 
As @thistle and @JulianN have said, the Mass obligation begins when you become a Catholic, not when you decide you wish to become one.
But if the question troubles you, then ask your priest or your RCIA instructor.
 
As @thistle and @JulianN have said, the Mass obligation begins when you become a Catholic,
Unless you were instructed to attend Mass.
I was instructed to attend every Sunday and I am not a Catholic yet.
 
Last edited:
So I understand it is a mortal sin to miss Mass and Holy Days of Obligation however when does this come into affect?
When you are received into the Church or baptized into the Church.
For example I am in RCIA and have missed Mass once or ttwice far during this process. Will I need to confess this?
No.

The mass obligation is an ecclesial law of the Church and does not apply to non-Catholics.

Also, when you are a Catholic the reason you missed is important. We are excused from the obligation when we have a serious reason— illness, work, caring for others, weather, travel where we cannot get to a mass, etc, are examples.
 
Last edited:
Unless you were instructed to attend Mass.
I was instructed to attend every Sunday and I am not a Catholic yet.
Then someone instructed you incorrectly. You are welcome and encouraged to attend Mass, but you are not obligated to do so.
 
“Remember the day and keep it holy”

RCIA, ecclesiastical law, confirmations, baptisms, etc. notwithstanding…

use your conscience
 
“Remember the day and keep it holy”

RCIA, ecclesiastical law, confirmations, baptisms, etc. notwithstanding…

use your conscience
But we are not to lay the burden of sin beyond what the Church says is sinful. This simply is not a sin, and we shouldn’t somehow imply it is.
 
Were you a falling Away Catholic, like you were baptized Catholic but not much else? Then yes. If, however you had never been Catholic, I don’t think you would have been bound to the obligation to attend Mass. As with every question asked about confession here, talk to your Confessor about it.
 
Well yes but…he should follow the advice of the wise Priest, right?
Or should only Catholics follow the advice the Priests give them???
If a Priest give me a good advice then I must listen. Jesus is speaking.
Also, if you knew you should attend Mass as person becoming a Catholic then it have to be confessed. Some should attend every Sunday but this does not apply to all people. This depends on the situation of the person. I should attend every Sunday. This is what works for me.
 
Last edited:
I do not get it. If you cannot attend Mass every Sunday as a non-Catholic why would you be able to when becoming a Catholic?
I was adviced to try attend Mass every Sunday.
Yes, I do not have the same responsibiliity as the Catholics but things won’t be simpler after becoming Catholic.
It is a sin if you did not try your best at learning the new habit of attending Sunday Mass.
 
Last edited:
It is a sin if you did not try your best at learning the new habit of attending Sunday Mass.
It is never a sin for a non-Catholic to not attend mass. Not even if his priest tells him he should.

If a Catholic mistress mas for a qualifying reason it isn’t a sin so one’s inability to attend mass isn’t a reason not to be Catholic.
 
Last edited:
How is it not a sin to follow the advice of a Priest?
I mean, have any Priests ever said that people in programs like RCIA have Sunday obligation?
I am only reffering to people who know it is important for them to attend Mass every Sunday. This does not apply to all.
If I stay home being lazy rather than go to church I sin.
 
How is it not a sin to follow the advice of a Priest?
I assume you mean how is not a sin to not follow the advice of a priest.

Non-Catholics are not bound by canon law and advice is not a command anyway.
I mean, have any Priests ever said that people in programs like RCIA have Sunday obligation?
I don’t know. I don’t need to know. What I know is that non-Catholics have absolutely no obligation to attend mass and no priest can change that. If the person in RCIA isn’t Catholic, their lack of attendance at mass is not a sin. The RCIA program may make it a stipulation to attend mass, but that’s a program requirement, not a requirement on pain of sin.
I am only reffering to people who know it is important for them to attend Mass every Sunday.
That only applies to Catholics, not catechumens.
If I stay home being lazy rather than go to church I sin.
Only if you’re Catholic.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top