Do Jews ever go to Mass and do Catholics ever visit their churches?

• Thread starter Thread starter angel6288
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are strict Jews that would never set foot in another’s religion of any sort, not just a Mass. but, there are many that have gone to other’s services. My best friend growing up was catholic and I was an Orthodox Jew and we went to each other’s services on many occasions. I took a post confirmation class (confirmation is at 15yo) where we studied other beliefs and went to many different services, including Mass.

As an agnostic, I went to Mass last year to see how much I remembered and how much it had changed since V2 as my previous experiences were all before V2. I enjoy seeing how others worship. I’ve also visited a Baptist service and a Lutheran one. Other than the extreme Jews, there is nothing wrong with attending. Participating is a different story but not just attending.

Anyone is welcome to go to a synagogue to observe. There isn’t any forced participation for anyone…including the Jews there! So, if you’re curious, call and find out the time of the service and go…except the High Holy days…they are packed like Christmas and Easter are at Mass. Best to avoid not getting a seat!

I’ve only been to things like funerals and weddings (sitting at the back out of the way 🙂).

My main experience of Catholic churches comes from spending every holiday in Italy (I’m half Italian) and sharing in my husband’s hobby of photographing architecture - so lots of Churches, Basilicas and Cathedrals, inevitably (I love the detailing), on the outside, anyway. Going inside is something else, of course, we’re very careful to avoid services or disturbing people praying.

Sometimes, in those very ornate baroque or rococo interiors, for example, there are just too many statues for comfort. 😉

Orthodox Jews would not enter a Catholic church even to visit it because it is considered a sin
I’ve seen Orthodox Jews (religious Jews) in a Christian church for an event where there were representatives of different faiths speaking. I have also seen them at a mass, although probably not participating.
Other than the extreme Jews, there is nothing wrong with attending. Participating is a different story but not just attending.
Yes I think even many religious Jews would not have a problem being at a service without participating, if there was a reason for it (a friend’s wedding for example). I don’t doubt there are some however, as you put it more ‘extreme Jews’ or more Orthodox Jews let’s say, who would absolutely refuse to go inside.
One does not stop being a Jew because they believe Christ is the redeemer.
Many Jews would disagree with you on that.

@Polak @Pattylt I guess it depends from the degree of observance but also from the cultural background. Part of my circle of friends/family is Orthodox Sephardic and they would have no problem using a car on Shabbat but would adamantly refuse to enter a church even for tourism. The younger generation in US is more flexible. But again, the older generation would probably have hard time even attending a service in an Ashkenazi Orthodox community.

@Polak @Pattylt I guess it depends from the degree of observance but also from the cultural background. Part of my circle of friends/family is Orthodox Sephardic and they would have no problem using a car on Shabbat but would adamantly refuse to enter a church even for tourism. The younger generation in US is more flexible. But again, the older generation would probably have hard time even attending a service in an Ashkenazi Orthodox community.
Yes, you’ll find one or more of those in any faith. Look how many Catholics only want the TLM ? Older Jews much more so than the younger ones. The older Jews still remember the Shoah and the many persecutions. It’s not just a Catholic Church they wouldn’t enter, it’s any Christian Church, not to mention going to a Hindu or Muslim temple. The younger generation is more distant from all that and have a wider world view than their parents. Pretty typical!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back