Do Non-Catholics Worship the Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Timonator348
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Timonator348

Guest
Just was interested to get some opinions on this. It seems from my personal experience that a lot of Fundamentalist’s seem to worship the Bible, the book itself, yet their churches are void of any cross or anything actually pertaining to Christ. I find they usually say “Well the Bible says this” or “the Bible says that” as opposed to I usually say “Jesus said this” or “the Church says that”. Just food for thought.
 
It depends on how far you mean “worship.” In the Catholic Catechism, paragraph #103 reads: “[T]he Church has always venerated the Scriptures as she venerates the Lord’s Body. She never ceases to present to the faithful the bread of life, taken from the one table of God’s Word and Christ’s Body.”

But if you mean they treat the pages and cover of the Bible as divine, then you are correct. I think Fundamentalists or even other Protestants tend to err more in their idea of sola scriptura, or the inability to distinguish their own interpretations of Scripture with Scripture.

Like when Martin Luther said: “When anything contrary to Scripture is decreed in a council, we ought to believe Scripture rather than the council,” what it means in reality is “When anything contrary to my interpretation of Scripture is decreed in a council, we ought to believe my interpretation of Scripture rather than the council.”
 
But if you mean they treat the pages and cover of the Bible as divine, then you are correct.
Don’t know if I am understanding you correctly: Are you accusing Sola Scripturists of being idolators? Idolatry is a serious sin.

I think the whole premise of the question is faulty, and yes a little bit slanderous.

I was an evangelical Christian for many years before becoming Catholic, and I never knew anyone who thought the Bible was “divine”–in terms of it being an object of worship. Divinely inspired, yes. But the book itself --its pages and cover-- being worshiped? Never.

To accuse our brothers and sisters in Protestantism of idolatry in this regard alarms me just a little bit. These are men and women who love Jesus Christ–many of them more than I do. Be careful how we judge…
 
Don’t know if I am understanding you correctly: Are you accusing Sola Scripturists of being idolators? Idolatry is a serious sin.

I think the whole premise of the question is faulty, and yes a little bit slanderous.

I was an evangelical Christian for many years before becoming Catholic, and I never knew anyone who thought the Bible was “divine”–in terms of it being an object of worship. Divinely inspired, yes. But the book itself --its pages and cover-- being worshiped? Never.

To accuse our brothers and sisters in Protestantism of idolatry in this regard alarms me just a little bit. These are men and women who love Jesus Christ–many of them more than I do. Be careful how we judge…
They say we worship statues I’m gonna return the favor and say they worship a book…
 
Just was interested to get some opinions on this. It seems from my personal experience that a lot of Fundamentalist’s seem to worship the Bible, the book itself, yet their churches are void of any cross or anything actually pertaining to Christ. I find they usually say “Well the Bible says this” or “the Bible says that” as opposed to I usually say “Jesus said this” or “the Church says that”. Just food for thought.
They say it because it is in the Bible! When they say “Well the Bible says this” it means they are giving the source of God’s word (generally giving a reference so that you can look it up yourself so that you yourself can interpret whether they are misinterpreting it).
I do not see the connection between talking about what God’s word says and worshiping the Bible. I think they worship God and the Bible is God’s word. There is also a larger connection between God and his Word (John 1:1).
Like when Martin Luther said: “When anything contrary to Scripture is decreed in a council, we ought to believe Scripture rather than the council,” what it means in reality is “When anything contrary to my interpretation of Scripture is decreed in a council, we ought to believe my interpretation of Scripture rather than the council.”
Maybe you should say “When anything contrary to my interpretation of Scripture is decreed in a council, we ought to believe my interpretation of Scripture rather than my interpretation of council.” Don’t we also have to interpret the words of the council? Everything we read is interpreted, even these posts.🙂 When one interprets some text that does not mean that you decide whatever you want about the text to your own liking.

What does it mean when one has a Bible covered in gold and you hold it high above your head and show it to everyone as if it is something to display?
 
Well, I’m not one to say “Protestants do …” or “Protestants believe…” because you just can’t generalize like that. There are TOO many denominations and pop-up church groups out there to make a blanket statement other than they reject Catholicism (obviously).

However, to answer your questions, I have run across certain Protestant groups who like to criticize Catholics for “worshiping Mary” or “bowing to statues” etc. Then, those same groups will have elaborate Bible ceremonies to present the book to the congregation, photos of their building with the book in the foreground, Bibles on special display stands, etc. They sure seem to be OK with their “honoring” of God’s written word, but when Catholics do likewise with anything other than the Bible, they’ll quickly claim idolatry.
 
They say we worship statues I’m gonna return the favor and say they worship a book…
In all humilty, I ask you to consider the teaching of Jesus: Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you
 
Some might, but I think the overwhelming majority of non-catholic Christians worship the Man who died on the cross, not the bible.
 
Don’t know if I am understanding you correctly: Are you accusing Sola Scripturists of being idolators? Idolatry is a serious sin.
No one specifically. I just meant if someone did do that then it would be idolatrous. But as I showed, even Catholics venerate Scripture.
 
Don’t we also have to interpret the words of the council?
True, but at some point do we not have to appeal to sentience and even if someone insists the sky is yellow that it’s really blue? But you raise an interesting issue----what happens when two Christians disagree on a truth? Acts 15 or Luke 10:16 give us the answer—it is the authentic successors of the Apostles who have the Spirit’s guaranteed guidance, not the individual who “disagrees” with the successors. That’s where Luther went awry.
 
They say it because it is in the Bible! When they say “Well the Bible says this” it means they are giving the source of God’s word (generally giving a reference so that you can look it up yourself so that you yourself can interpret whether they are misinterpreting it).
Agreed. I also say, “The Bible says…” when speaking about something that is not specifically spoken by Jesus but spoken of in the Bible, and so do many other Catholics, so this is hardly some kind of “Protestant phenomenon”. I also say, “Well, the Pope has said…”, but that hardly means that I worship the Pope. :rolleyes:
Maybe you should say “When anything contrary to my interpretation of Scripture is decreed in a council, we ought to believe my interpretation of Scripture rather than my interpretation of council.” Don’t we also have to interpret the words of the council? Everything we read is interpreted, even these posts.🙂 When one interprets some text that does not mean that you decide whatever you want about the text to your own liking.
Not everything that the Church Councils have said can be interpreted in a variety of ways. When the Church says, “Mary is perpetually virginal,” that can mean nothing other than what it says. When the Church says, “Jesus Christ is 100% God and 100% man,” it can’t be interpreted in any way other than what it says. I can’t have “my own interpretation” of what the Church Councils have said because they make it pretty clear exactly what they are saying when they say it. 😉
The Church correctly interprets the Bible through the light of sacred tradition. (2 Peter 1:20) “How can [we] understand what it says if [we] have no one to guide [us]?” (Acts 8:30-31)
 
As a Baptist turned Catholic, I can tell you this is all about misrepresentation by those with different political views. I had this whole discussion with my mother when I became catholic. Do we bow to idols? No, but I may bow to what the idol represents. Just like any outward symbol, statues are beneficial when used to help us focus our meditations or to remind us of some facet of our faith. When the symbol becomes more important than what it represents, there is the dangerous ground. The same can be said of Mary. Protestants don’t really have any reference for our reverence of Mary, let alone her role as an interceder to her son Jesus.

As for protestants worshiping the bible…no. I think the issue is that protestants don’t have other sources of divine inspiration other than the scriptures. This is again a primarily political divide. Maybe I should say this started as a political divide and has just been reinforced over the centuries.
 
Wow this blew up fast! I’m not trying to be accusative but it seems Protestants I’ve talked to and Protestant preachers I’ve seen are not just “giving you the Gospel” but are instead using the Bible to prop up their own interpretation of what it means to be Christian. Actually, the Catholic Church is the only one I’ve been in that actually just reads straight from the Bible without any spin. It just made me wonder when you see evangelical Protestants who will press a 66 booked Bible to their forehead with their eyes closed in prayer but refuse to have a cross or a crucifix or a statue of Christ in their church because it would lead to idolatry.
 
As a Baptist turned Catholic, I can tell you this is all about misrepresentation by those with different political views. I had this whole discussion with my mother when I became catholic. Do we bow to idols? No, but I may bow to what the idol represents. Just like any outward symbol, statues are beneficial when used to help us focus our meditations or to remind us of some facet of our faith.
Does it not marvel you the way that Protestants have no problem with showing reverence for what, say, the American flag represents, and even going as far as pledging allegiance to it, but, God forbid, when a Catholic prays to Jesus in front of a crucifix, it’s complete and total idolatry?
When the symbol becomes more important than what it represents, there is the dangerous ground.
Honestly, I can’t think of any time that this has happened in the Catholic Church. I don’t think any Catholic has turned against Jesus over one of his images. That would be like attacking your mother because you somehow love her picture more than her… That really makes no sense to anyone without a severe mental illness.
The same can be said of Mary. Protestants don’t really have any reference for our reverence of Mary, let alone her role as an interceder to her son Jesus.
What a pity that they apparently haven’t read John 2:2-11. 😦
 
It just made me wonder when you see evangelical Protestants who will press a 66 booked Bible to their forehead with their eyes closed in prayer but refuse to have a cross or a crucifix or a statue of Christ in their church because it would lead to idolatry.
Hmmm… this is a good point. I forgot that some denominations do use the Bible in the same way we sometimes use relics, etc… while still rejecting to our use of relics and statues.
 
Just was interested to get some opinions on this. It seems from my personal experience that a lot of Fundamentalist’s seem to worship the Bible, the book itself, yet their churches are void of any cross or anything actually pertaining to Christ. I find they usually say “Well the Bible says this” or “the Bible says that” as opposed to I usually say “Jesus said this” or “the Church says that”. Just food for thought.
Clever, clever, clever.
 
Not everything that the Church Councils have said can be interpreted in a variety of ways. When the Church says, “Mary is perpetually virginal,” that can mean nothing other than what it says.
I disagree, it certainly can be interpreted in different ways. It could very well depend on the interpretation of the word virginal. Does it mean she was physically ever virgin? It can be argued that this is medically impossible as we know that she delivered Jesus naturally, as that is part of the mystery of Christ. Of course, the most realistic interpretation of the word is that Mary never had relations with a man, and remained ever devoted to God. You can laugh the first interpretation off as silly (which is is), but it’s still a valid question.
When the Church says, “Jesus Christ is 100% God and 100% man,” it can’t be interpreted in any way other than what it says. I can’t have “my own interpretation” of what the Church Councils have said because they make it pretty clear exactly what they are saying when they say it. 😉
Really? I don’t know if you did the math, but that’s 200%! If there wasn’t room for interpretation there, then this wouldn’t be something many disparage as completely impossible. Now I believe this, 200%, but I can’t explain it and I can’t totally understand it. I’ve been trying to rationalize it for decades and it’s just something beyond the scope of the human mind, I think. This is something I have to take on faith. There is a lot of that in our religion, you know, and that’s OK. 😉

I don’t mean to be contrary, I’m just proving a point. Everything is open to interpretation. The problem is that sometimes we get caught up in the note by note interpretation of a subject rather than looking at why the issue is important. Then we start trying to interpret things the way that best fits the outcome we desire, rather than the truth which is revealed through prayerful meditation.

When I started RCIA I told my priest that the one answer I wouldn’t accept when I questioned something was “because that’s what the church has said we believe and that’s the way it is.” I NEEDED to know why the church decreed that, how did it discern the truth behind that statement and why? To his credit he relished the challenge and ALWAYS had an answer. What this taught me is that nothing the church decrees is without without discernment and justification. Where protestants often have trouble though is that those justifications are not always scriptural.
 
Does it not marvel you the way that Protestants have no problem with showing reverence for what, say, the American flag represents, and even going as far as pledging allegiance to it, but, God forbid, when a Catholic prays to Jesus in front of a crucifix, it’s complete and total idolatry?
Again, it’s lack of understanding caused by centuries of misrepresentation. It’s no different than politicians of today spinning a story to their ends. Early protestants spun the story to make us out to be worshiping idols.
Honestly, I can’t think of any time that this has happened in the Catholic Church. I don’t think any Catholic has turned against Jesus over one of his images. That would be like attacking your mother because you somehow love her picture more than her… That really makes no sense to anyone without a severe mental illness.
You’re missing what I mean, I think. I’m talking about on a person to person basis and what a particular person believes, not what the church officially teaches. I know it happens where people believe that a statue or a set of beads, or some other such symbol becomes the source of the graces and is more important than what it represents. This is because the person puts too much emphasis on the symbol and not enough on what it symbolizes. Such a person is obviously missing the true teaching of the church and has gone a bit astray, and is flirting with dangerous ground.
What a pity that they apparently haven’t read John 2:2-11. 😦
It goes deeper though. Remember that most protestant churches don’t recognize anyone anyone as a mediator between us and Jesus. They point to “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” They don’t realize that nowhere did he say no one comes to me except through themselves. We pray for each other all the time, yet they just can’t conceive of asking Mary to pray for them.

But that again is the spin machine working. Our detractors say we pray to Mary to do things for us, when in fact we are asking Mary simply to add her prayers to her son to reinforce our own. For who would have more clout with the Son than his beloved mother?

I know this well because when I came into the Church, I had NO point of reference for how the Church revered Mary. It was one of the few things that was a problem point for me, not because I didn’t believe it, but because I didn’t understand it. It took me a lot of discernment to come to grips with the mystery of Mary and why she is so central to our faith. My screen name kinda says it all as to where that discernment has taken me. It’s that difference between reverence and worship that many can not see, and as someone who’s been on both sides, I understand the confusion and how easily it can be spun.🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top