C
ClamDigger
Guest
Sorry, I suppose I should have re-phrased what I said. The Church states that Mary is a virgin before giving birth to Jesus, in giving birth to Jesus, and after giving birth to Jesus. She would not need to specify that Mary is virginal *in giving birth *to Jesus if Mary’s hymen were ruptured in the birth. I mean, I really don’t think the Church would need to specify that Mary wasn’t having sexual intercourse while she was giving birth to Jesus…I disagree, it certainly can be interpreted in different ways. It could very well depend on the interpretation of the word virginal. Does it mean she was physically ever virgin? It can be argued that this is medically impossible as we know that she delivered Jesus naturally, as that is part of the mystery of Christ. Of course, the most realistic interpretation of the word is that Mary never had relations with a man, and remained ever devoted to God. You can laugh the first interpretation off as silly (which is is), but it’s still a valid question.
I can’t explain it either, but it is what the Church teaches. The Hypostatic Union. And there really is no room for a different interpretation. We can’t believe that he is 50/50 or 49/51 or any other combination. He is 100/100, and that is that. The Church has spoken and there is no room for disagreement.Really? I don’t know if you did the math, but that’s 200%! If there wasn’t room for interpretation there, then this wouldn’t be something many disparage as completely impossible. Now I believe this, 200%, but I can’t explain it and I can’t totally understand it. I’ve been trying to rationalize it for decades and it’s just something beyond the scope of the human mind, I think. This is something I have to take on faith. There is a lot of that in our religion, you know, and that’s OK.![]()
I really haven’t seen how either of those things are open to interpretation.I don’t mean to be contrary, I’m just proving a point. Everything is open to interpretation. The problem is that sometimes we get caught up in the note by note interpretation of a subject rather than looking at why the issue is important. Then we start trying to interpret things the way that best fits the outcome we desire, rather than the truth which is revealed through prayerful meditation.
How would he answer questions about the mysteries of the Trinity, Transubstantiation, Mary’s virginity in giving birth, the Hypostatic Union, etc.? The only answer I can think of is, “Well, that is the ancient tradition of our Church, which has been guided by God.” Of course, we can use parables to explain these things (Mary is like a window penetrated by sunlight, yet the sun does not rupture the window. The Three Members of the Trinity are like the sun, sunlight, and heat from the sun. They are indistinguishable, but they are seperate realities.), but we cannot ever fully explain them.When I started RCIA I told my priest that the one answer I wouldn’t accept when I questioned something was “because that’s what the church has said we believe and that’s the way it is.” I NEEDED to know why the church decreed that, how did it discern the truth behind that statement and why? To his credit he relished the challenge and ALWAYS had an answer. What this taught me is that nothing the church decrees is without without discernment and justification. Where protestants often have trouble though is that those justifications are not always scriptural.