S
Steven_Merten
Guest
Do only Catholics suffer from Catholic Church punishments?
I have heard it said that Protestants are not under any Church bound automatic punishments. I am talking of automatic excommunication, automatic anathema and papal bindings of what is sin, such as missing Mass on holy days of obligation and the like. With the exception of those Protestants who were once Catholics and automatically excommunicated for converting to Protestantism.
In the old days (before 1960ish), Catholics were led to believe that all Protestants went to hell. It was sensible, in those days, seeing that all Protestants were already damned to hell, that Catholic Church punishments only applied to Catholics. In today’s age, the Church accepts Protestants as within the bosom of the Catholic Church for salvation. Yet the Church still sees Protestants outside the reach of Catholic Church punishments, as I am told.
Do automatic Catholic Church punishments only affect Catholics?
Is this double standard on Catholic Church punishments fair to Catholics?
Should Protestants be informed of a double standard on Church punishments, which could effect their eternal salvation, at RCIA, before they convert?
I have heard it said that Protestants are not under any Church bound automatic punishments. I am talking of automatic excommunication, automatic anathema and papal bindings of what is sin, such as missing Mass on holy days of obligation and the like. With the exception of those Protestants who were once Catholics and automatically excommunicated for converting to Protestantism.
In the old days (before 1960ish), Catholics were led to believe that all Protestants went to hell. It was sensible, in those days, seeing that all Protestants were already damned to hell, that Catholic Church punishments only applied to Catholics. In today’s age, the Church accepts Protestants as within the bosom of the Catholic Church for salvation. Yet the Church still sees Protestants outside the reach of Catholic Church punishments, as I am told.
Do automatic Catholic Church punishments only affect Catholics?
Is this double standard on Catholic Church punishments fair to Catholics?
Should Protestants be informed of a double standard on Church punishments, which could effect their eternal salvation, at RCIA, before they convert?