L
Londoner
Guest
This may seem a bit of an odd question, and I’ve put it in moral theology because I couldn’t think where better to put it.
An American Catholic friend of mine had to fly from London to Chicago this week and then take a domestic flight onwards from Chicago with a small chance of still being in transit the following calendar day. She said that for this reason she had to depart from London on September 9 because “of course” she would not fly on September 11. I didn’t want to ask why, because the “of course” made it sound as though it were self-evident that somebody would abstain from flying on September 11. I haven’t really found any satisfactory explanations.
Apparently in the years immediately after 2001 people thought it was possible that there could be another attack planned for the anniversary of the original 9/11 attacks, but it now seems extremely unlikely that flying on September 11 is any more risky than flying on any other day of the year. In fact, some people argue that extra security measures on September 11 actually make it even safer for flying than other days of the year.
I also wondered whether it is considered a way of commemorating 9/11. However, everything I have read suggests that people actually actually feel that flying on September 11 is itself a way of showing defiance towards terrorism, a way of not letting the terrorists win. Apparently some airline staff actually choose to work on September 11 as a way of commemorating their fallen colleagues.
I’m just curious to know what other people here think. Perhaps if my friend mentions it again I’ll enquire politely.
An American Catholic friend of mine had to fly from London to Chicago this week and then take a domestic flight onwards from Chicago with a small chance of still being in transit the following calendar day. She said that for this reason she had to depart from London on September 9 because “of course” she would not fly on September 11. I didn’t want to ask why, because the “of course” made it sound as though it were self-evident that somebody would abstain from flying on September 11. I haven’t really found any satisfactory explanations.
Apparently in the years immediately after 2001 people thought it was possible that there could be another attack planned for the anniversary of the original 9/11 attacks, but it now seems extremely unlikely that flying on September 11 is any more risky than flying on any other day of the year. In fact, some people argue that extra security measures on September 11 actually make it even safer for flying than other days of the year.
I also wondered whether it is considered a way of commemorating 9/11. However, everything I have read suggests that people actually actually feel that flying on September 11 is itself a way of showing defiance towards terrorism, a way of not letting the terrorists win. Apparently some airline staff actually choose to work on September 11 as a way of commemorating their fallen colleagues.
I’m just curious to know what other people here think. Perhaps if my friend mentions it again I’ll enquire politely.