Do Protestants fast on Good Friday?

• Thread starter Thread starter Krisdun
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it’s worth, I am Catholic, and will not be fasting on Good Friday.

I am 62 years old, so it’s not required. I will try to go meatless, but if all I have in the house is meat, I will eat it and not worry.

I work in a hospital lab (microbiology), and we have been working long hours because of the corona virus. I am scheduled to work Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun–so I need to be careful not to compromise my immune system, and to keep up my strength. I’ve actually been losing weight during this nationwide crisis–just don’t have the time to eat, and when I do eat, i burn it off working!

It is not possible to ask generic questions about Protestants. They are not an homogenous group. There are many Protestant communities with different beliefs and practices.

Some Protestants fast on Good Friday (and other times) whilst others do not.

To be fair, there are Christians that are neither Catholic or Protestant, like the Eastern Orthodox and the Assyrian Church of the East. As to whether or not Protestants fast on Good Friday, yes some of them do. Remember, Protestantism is a pretty broad group.

For what it’s worth, I am Catholic, and will not be fasting on Good Friday.

I am 62 years old, so it’s not required. I will try to go meatless, but if all I have in the house is meat, I will eat it and not worry.

I work in a hospital lab (microbiology), and we have been working long hours because of the corona virus. I am scheduled to work Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun–so I need to be careful not to compromise my immune system, and to keep up my strength. I’ve actually been losing weight during this nationwide crisis–just don’t have the time to eat, and when I do eat, i burn it off working!
I’m not your priest (or anybody’s priest for that matter, I’m a layman), but I would say that you probably have a legitimate reason for not abstaining. The whole “meat thing”, for me anyway, is a question of protein — I have to eat a protein-rich diet, to stay well — and flesh meat is a quick, efficient way to max out your protein consumption. On days of abstinence, I have to plan out my meals, with eggs, fish, soy, beans, quinoa, cheese, and so on, to get the protein I need. Some people can make do with bread, potatoes, and vegetables, but I can’t do that.

As for Protestants fasting on Friday, unless they’re conservative Anglicans, they probably don’t do that. In a nutshell, their mentality is “Jesus did it all”, and while fasting exists as a biblical discipline, there is no real concept of penance or self-mortification, self-abnegation, or “dying to self”. They don’t feel a need to “have some skin in the game” and to get in there and suffer a little, to be united with the far greater sufferings of Our Lord. Again, “Jesus did it all”, and as they see it, all the believer has to do, is to accept that sacrifice as “paid in full” for the believer’s sins, past, present, and future.

When I was a kid only Catholics had Good Friday services as far as I remember. I don’t think many Protestant Churches observed Good Friday in their services back then. Its a catholic observance.

The Mormon Church is not Christian - different God the father , Jesus failed , Joseph Smith brought salvation to the world - completely different faith - someone said they fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back