Do we really need a "Star Wars" museum?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tenebrae
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tenebrae

Guest
So George Lucas has decided to build his “Lucas Museum of Narrative Art” in Chicago.
There are people objecting to its proposed location on the lakefront, taking away space from the Soldier Field parking lot, but my concern is this: will the Star Wars saga eventually become irrelevant to future generations? Will we be stuck with a white elephant of a museum?
 
So George Lucas has decided to build his “Lucas Museum of Narrative Art” in Chicago.
There are people objecting to its proposed location on the lakefront, taking away space from the Soldier Field parking lot, but my concern is this: will the Star Wars saga eventually become irrelevant to future generations? Will we be stuck with a white elephant of a museum?
We live in Northern Illinois, about 65 miles from Chicago.

Are Dracula and Frankenstein irrelevant? Absolutely not! Every year, we get a fresh crop of vampire and “creature” movies, and people are still buying and watching the old ones, including many of the silent monster flicks!

Is Citizen Kane irrelevant? Nope.

How about Gone With The Wind? Nope–more popular than ever. My daughter wants to go to Atlanta for some kind of anniversary celebration of the story.

How about the Wizard of Oz? Definitely not irrelevant! Just last year, they did the 75 years anniversary re-release of the movie.

Star Wars is wondrous, and it will last for a long, long time. I can still remember the first time I ever saw it, and I would gladly sit through it again!

Can’t wait to see the new museum!
 
Do we really need a Star Wars museum? Probably not.

Do I really need a Star Wars museum? Yes. STAT.
 
Let capitalism do its job.

If the museum has a fan base, it will succeed, if not, not. Either may, a problem it is not. :):)🙂
 
Allow me to geek out here for a moment but…YES!! A Star Wars museum would be freaking awesome!!

Just imagine standing by a life size AT-AT…or the Millennium Falcon…❤️ Yeah, I would pay money for that.
 
Allow me to geek out here for a moment but…YES!! A Star Wars museum would be freaking awesome!!

Just imagine standing by a life size AT-AT…or the Millennium Falcon…❤️ Yeah, I would pay money for that.
Too far away I am. Bilocational body or land speeder I do not have. Else visit this museum I definitely would. :)🙂
 
Star Wars is going to be one of the staples of the 20th century, similar to Beowulf or Hamlet. Even if the franchise is dead 100 years from now (which I don’t know how it wouldn’t be) a Star Wars museum is still going to be a relevant part of pop culture history. There is an explosion of novels, comics, board games, video games, collecting cards, and other paraphernalia that came as a result of it.
 
Let capitalism do its job.

If the museum has a fan base, it will succeed, if not, not. Either may, a problem it is not. :):)🙂
Yup, this.

I wouldn’t go, but lots of people would, or else it will close.
 
Allow me to geek out here for a moment but…YES!! A Star Wars museum would be freaking awesome!!

Just imagine standing by a life size AT-AT…or the Millennium Falcon…❤️ Yeah, I would pay money for that.
So would my adult son. In a New York minute.
 
Meh. I see the value in the movies as art. They are perfectly fine movies. But do I like the story and think it deserves a museum? Not really. I’d much rather see aTolkien museum.
 
Tenebrae;12122628]So George Lucas has decided to build his “Lucas Museum of Narrative Art” in Chicago.
Not the greatest location, to be sure
There are people objecting to its proposed location on the lakefront, taking away space from the Soldier Field parking lot,
Well, if one were a Bears fan, the perspective is different…😃 😛
but my concern is this: will the Star Wars saga eventually become irrelevant to future generations? Will we be stuck with a white elephant of a museum?
Well, Star Wars has held up pretty well over the years. The only other franchise comparable to it is Star Trek (I want to say Babylon 5, but that’s whole
'nother sad story 😦 😦 ).

In the greater scheme of things related to film and TV, it’s actually been trendy now more than ever to renew old, successful franchises.

In the end with stuff like this, it’s always best to let the market decide these things.
 
Meh. I see the value in the movies as art. They are perfectly fine movies. But do I like the story and think it deserves a museum? Not really. I’d much rather see aTolkien museum.
And that is perfectly fine. You pays your money and you takes your choice:)

ICXC NIKA
 
I doubt that George Lucas cares what you and I think. I know that the gangsters who run Chicago do not care what you and I think.
 
I’m guessing that there will be a lot of interactive exhibits in this museum, which will encourage children (and adults, too!) to develop and use their imagination. That’s a very good thing!

For those of you who say, “Bad location,” I say that there are hundreds of thousands of children and teenagers from all over Illinois who make class trips to the museum campus in Chicago, and this new museum will bring even more children and teenagers. I think it’s a great location!

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who make Chicago a vacation destination. I know several families (with children) who are “going to Chicago” this summer for their family vacation. It’s a cool place to visit. I like going there for skating competitions.

I agree about the gangsters/mobsters. But one reason they are tolerated is that they do good things for their subjects. sigh
 
Allow me to geek out here for a moment but…YES!! A Star Wars museum would be freaking awesome!!

Just imagine standing by a life size AT-AT…or the Millennium Falcon…❤️ Yeah, I would pay money for that.
Do we really need a Star Wars museum? Probably not.

Do I really need a Star Wars museum? Yes. STAT.
Distance matters not. Find a way, you will.
The first movie I have ANY recollection of going to is the original Star Wars sometime in 1978. My mom took me on a very chilly night while my dad stayed home with my younger brother.

Fast forward a little more than two years and the whole family went to see The Empire Strikes Back on my 6th birthday.

When my dad came home from work that day he brought pizza and a sweet lego set (The Galaxy Explorer) with him. We had pizza, home made birthday cake that mom made that day, and then we were off to the movies! The Empire Strikes Back is still my favorite move of all time; and because I love that movie so much, it made that day one of the best and most memorable of my entire life.

Star Wars was an amazing part of my childhood; and my life. If they build it… I will go.
 
It was going to be in the Presidio at San Francisco but the people there wouldn’t hear of it because they said that it would ruin the view or create traffic even though there is a Disney museum there and it’s doing fine. It’s also successful. Not too successful to where you can’t find parking but successful.
 
The Empire Strikes Back is still my favorite move of all time;
Me too! It never gets old, no matter how many times I watch it.

It has everything. A good story, great action, a budding romance, and so many great lines that I still find myself quoting sometimes. It’s just brilliant.

None of the other Star Wars movies ever came close to it, even with all the fancy special effects.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top