I voted ‘no’ thinking along similar lines to daddygirl.
Perhaps it’s semantics.
I thought of a hypothetical question? who drove to mom’s birthday party?
If I and each of my siblings say “I did”, we have five truth possibilities.
Agreed. But, unless driving was shared, you have only one driver (one actual truth).
My question presumes that all non-facts (people who did not drive) are known with absolute certainty, and only one possible fact (the actual driver) remains, even if the one possible fact is highly unlikely (perhaps a six year old child).
Again, it is NOT a trick question. The answer has other implications that I have not stated here, but the question itself is NOT a trick question.
For the purposes of this thread, I’m just trying to ascertain the level of philosophical (logical) awareness of people in this Forum. I have stated this.
What I am REALLY asking (but the answer STILL has further implications that I have not yet explored) is if we open the box containing Schrodinger’s cat, and we see that the cat is alive, can we conclude that the cat is alive? The cat is either alive or dead. If the cat is alive, it cannot be dead. If the cat is dead, it cannot be alive.
Sherlock Holmes would say that a living cat precludes a dead cat (even if the conditions in the box made surviveability highly unlikely). There are only two possible outcomes of opening the box - the cat is alive, or the cat is dead. No matter how unlikely is the possibility that the cat survived, Holmes would say that evidence of a living cat invalidates (makes impossible) a dead cat.
It is NOT a trick question. My question is a precursor to another thread that I intend to open, but I want to gauge Catholic reaction to this question before I proceed. It is NOT an attempt at a scientific survey, because I have already said that I agree with Holmes. If anybody can forward a logical disagreement then I would be interested. But if you think I am trying to trick you then you are wrong.