Do you believe in evolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not talking about cloning or genetic engineering. I’m asking if we take two populations of the same species and selectively breed them for very different traits, would they eventually be different species?
No.
What definition of species are you using?
species

[ˈspiːʃiːz, ˈspiːʃɪz, ˈspiːsiːz]

NOUN
  1. biology
a group of living organisms consisting of similar individuals capable of exchanging genes or interbreeding.
If two groups of the same species are geographically isolated from each other could they be subjected to different environment pressures?
Yes but environmental pressures have nothing to do with gene expression, the dominant and the co-dominant genes will be expressed even to the point of extinction. Even if a recessive gene confers some advantage in that particular environment, the frequency of expression will be very low and the population will eventually go extinct.

Last edited:
You are implicitly telling us, correctly, that the Buddha did not kill anyone.
That is an indication of the Buddha’s lack of power. He can’t create a universe and cannot kill anyone by natural disasters or any other global means. There’s no comparison. As you admit - God has immense, infinite, omnipotence. God gives life and He takes it away,
He gave life to you He will come and call for it back again - asking what you did with His gift?
Did you waste time on a Catholic site with the trivial affairs of evolution – all while Sacred Truths were available for you to discover?
Was your hatred of God, driven by something internal that you could and should have changed?
God has the power over life and death. The Buddah does not.
You do not like that God can take the very lives He created. But that doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Then what you said would be false since Morgoth and Sauron do not have any blood on their hands at all.

Actions have results. God’s actions will have results in future. If He misuses His claimed rights then He will see the results.
If He does not misuse His rights, then He deserves respect for that. Additionally, we the creatures would be required to honor those rights also - correct?

It’s a mixed concept. It’s like saying you can’t accept the mythological creature because you take literally what the creature did.
It’s like saying “I don’t like foxes because in Aesop’s fables, the fox does bad things”.
The fable is meant to teach something. Now you’re going to take it literally.
If you want to do that with the Bible - be consistent. Take it all literally and find no other meaning than the historical, factual. But that does not happen.

@BlueKumul, I don’t want to into a direct debate about evolution, will leave that to others, but I often find comments by those who oppose evolution which display a hint of misunderstanding about God ( which is a much more interesting topic in my mind)

13 Billion years is such an amazing number which is certainly not true? God is eternal. He is outside of time, all time is present to Him always. 13 Billion years? 2 seconds? Temporally, there is no difference to God. God did not have to " wait" for evolution in order for animals to evolve to the level where He could create man.

Bizzare process? Is this another way if saying complicated? Two thoughts come to mind: creating the universe instantaneously or via evolution is of no difference to God. Also, you may ask why the world is so bizarre in the first place, when He could have made it so much simpler? Indeed, why have material creatures at all, why not just spiritual angels. The whole creation is just bizarre.

If you choose to deny evolution, fine. But don’t adapts a limited God in doing so.

Last edited:
That’s a corn snake. Jungle corn snake.

Hybrids[edit]​

Hybrids between corn snakes and any other snake is very common in captivity, but rarely occurs in the wild. Hybrids within the genera Pantherophis , Lampropeltis , or Pituophis so far have been proven to be completely fertile.

Many different corn snake hybrids are bred in captivity. A few common examples include:
  • Jungle corn snakes are hybrids between a corn snake and a California kingsnake ( Lampropeltis californiae ). These show extreme pattern variations, taking markings from both parents. Although they are hybrids of different genera, they are not sterile.
Wikipedia

Yes I’m aware. So what species is it? You said…
The term ‘exchange of genetic material’ in species’ definition gives it clear boundaries.

Are these boundaries observable? Yes. Failure to interbreed even between so called close cousins.
Okay so the parents must be the same species as the jungle corn snake, and the same species as each other right?

Last edited:
Okay so the parents must be the same species as the jungle corn snake, and the same species as each other right?
My proposal had an if. If parents are always of the same species with their offspring, then there should only be a single species in the world.

It seems you have changed your mind and are now positing that it is possible that parents bear offspring of a different species. Am i right?

The verse you quoted doesn’t say what you are saying maybe you need to review some things instead of copy pasting from dubious websites.
Then what does Numbers 31:17 say? Tell us where the obvious literal meaning is wrong please.

That is an indication of the Buddha’s lack of power.
Have you killed anyone? Is that an indication of your lack of power or is it an indication of your not choosing to kill someone? Choosing not to use a power is not an indication that one does not (potentially) have that power.
God gives life and He takes it away,
Here is a quote from the Brahmajala sutta. A god is speaking about himself:
“I am the Brahma, the great Brahma, the conqueror, the unconquered, the all-seeing, the subjector of all to his wishes, the omnipotent, the maker, the creator, the supreme, the controller, the one confirmed in the practice of meditation, and father to all that have been and shall be. I have created these other beings.”
Why should I follow your God, rather than one I find in Buddhist scriptures?
Was your hatred of God, driven by something internal that you could and should have changed?
One of the aims of Buddhist practice is to reduce hatred; greed, hatred and delusion are the Three Poisons. I am not perfect, but I do not hate your God. As above, He even gets a sort of mention in the Tripitaka. I find some of your God’s behaviour unacceptable and a bad example. He gives some good advice like “You shall not kill,” but He is distinctly lacking on meditation and the Path to nirvana.

Jesus, on the other hand, was likely an advanced Bodhisattva. In Buddhism a Bodhisattva is higher than a god.
God has the power over life and death. The Buddah does not.
The Buddha shows us the way to escape both life and death.
You do not like that God can take the very lives He created. But that doesn’t make a lot of sense.
Parents have the right to kill their children? Is abortion to be allowed if both parents agree? You might want to reconsider your logic here.

God did not create our lives. We created our own lives by failing to attain enlightenment in our previous lives, hence getting born again and eventually dying again. If you don’t want to die, then you have to avoid being born.

Buddhism is not an Abrahamic religion. It is an error to assume that ideas from the Abrahamic religions also apply in Buddhism. You need to check first, before assuming.

Then what does Numbers 31:17 say? Tell us where the obvious literal meaning is wrong please.
Again, I do not wish to worship a God who kills unborn babies and orders unborn babies to be killed (Numbers 31:17).
Num 31: 1 And the LORD said to Moses, 2 “Take vengeance on the Midianites for the Israelites. After that, you will be gathered to your people.”

14 But Moses was angry with the officers of the army—the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds—who were returning from the battle. 15 “Have you spared all the women?” he asked them. 16 “Look, these women caused the sons of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to turn unfaithfully against the LORD at Peor, so that the plague struck the congregation of the LORD. 17 So now, kill all the boys, as well as every woman who has had relations with a man, 18 but spare for yourselves every girl who has never had relations with a man.

Have you killed anyone? Is that an indication of your lack of power or is it an indication of your not choosing to kill someone? Choosing not to use a power is not an indication that one does not (potentially) have that power.
Before beginning - this was a great response. Highly informative and helpful in moving towards a deeper conversation - thank you.

Ok - yes, one does not have to display power to possess it. Power is a very big part of this, as I said, God in the Catholic sense is omnipotent - - and from that characteristic, we have a chain of logic that teaches us more about God.
Here is a quote from the Brahmajala sutta. A god is speaking about himself:
“I am the Brahma, the great Brahma, the conqueror, the unconquered, the all-seeing, the subjector of all to his wishes, the omnipotent, the maker, the creator, the supreme, the controller, the one confirmed in the practice of meditation, and father to all that have been and shall be. I have created these other beings.”
That is a very significant passage. I would need to be able to speak your theological language to analyze it - or you would have to speak mine to understand the response. But I can only respond from a Western, Catholic philosophy and theology.
Two words jumped out at me immediately:
Omnnipotent
Creator

Now it may be that these are not literal but figurative. But as you looked at the Old Testament, with God killing – I look at the Buddhist scripture with Brahma making the statement.
Power … if Brahma is all-powerful, and creator - we would say that He is necessarily uncreated and the source of all power. He cannot ever have received power from someone else. Over infinite time, He cannot gain or lose any power - since He possesses all. I’m not sure if in Buddhism, Brahma is the creator of both good and evil, as with Hinduism - but that’s another aspect.
I believe the story is that Brahma was born - emerged. So, there was a pre-existing power. It is not possible to be all-powerful, but have beings who have power outside of yourself – unless you have given them your power, shared it.
If Brahma is omnipotent creator - that is an equivalent to the Catholic God.

Why should I follow your God, rather than one I find in Buddhist scriptures?
If the one in the Buddhist Scriptures has been created, then the creator of Brahma has rights over him. Brahma is not all powerful. The Catholic God possesses all power and all being. He is our creator, and therefore has the highest perfection - and is most worthy to be followed and worshipped. He also did not create evil - He is completely good. He has allowed creatures to separate from Him, so they could have freedom to choose. But evil is their choice, not His will.
This is why you should choose to follow the Catholic God, and not the God of Buddhism. Brahma did not give you life - so you do not owe anything to Him. The Catholic God, as we believe, created your life, and gave it as His gift. You did not create your own, you did not know who you would be when you were born. This was given to you, along with all of your characteristics and features of your personhood. So, there is a debt to your creator which is not present with Brahma, who actually is subject to someone else, whoever created him.
One of the aims of Buddhist practice is to reduce hatred; greed, hatred and delusion are the Three Poisons. I am not perfect, but I do not hate your God. As above, He even gets a sort of mention in the Tripitaka.
In order to achieve those noble goals in life - the building of those virtues and overcoming the vices of hatred and greed, etc. I would think the power from omnipotent source (Brahma) would assist you. That is how we view it. We gain the strength to become better as humans by receiving it from God. If Brahma cannot confer those virtues, then that is another reason to choose the Catholic God over Brahma.
In Buddhism a Bodhisattva is higher than a god.
That is informative and I didn’t know it - thank you.
The Buddha shows us the way to escape both life and death.
That’s a key difference. In both religions we meditate. In Buddhism, it is an emptying and annihilation of self and then escaping life, death, thought, suffering and desire.
For Catholicism, it is meditation on the fulness of being. Also self-emptying, but receiving power (grace) which transforms into greater perfection - more life. So, for us, life and being are aspects of perfection when they are complete in God’s perfection (all powerful, all wise, all loving, all present, all knowing, etc)

Parents have the right to kill their children? Is abortion to be allowed if both parents agree? You might want to reconsider your logic here.
This is a key concern for you but you’re only looking at a limited part of it.

If I have a child who needs a coat to go outside, I give it. The child has a coat.
But, now it is colder. So, I take away that coat and give him a better, warmer one.
Is that evil? I took away the coat! Maybe I did that with other children. I took their coats in the cold! Ok, yes it does sound evil. However, I actually gave them better coats in exchange. That is what we are talking about when God takes away life. You call it killing, but it is taking one thing and giving a better thing. If you only look at the coat being taken away, that’s only part of the process.
God did not create our lives. We created our own lives by failing to attain enlightenment in our previous lives, hence getting born again and eventually dying again. If you don’t want to die, then you have to avoid being born.
The last sentence makes sense, but I don’t understand how it fits your thought on this. But anyway, we would conflict on what it means when you say “we created our own lives”. In the Catholic view that is impossible because we lack the power to create from nothing. Only God has that.

God loves all of his creation, but human beings the most. Suffering on earth is part of the plan - earthly life is temporary. It’s like a coat that we wear, then we take it off.

He also did not create evil - He is completely good. He has allowed creatures to separate from Him, so they could have freedom to choose. But evil is their choice, not His will.
Man can do evil but are you saying man created evil? If evil is contingent on it being created then can God be considered good? What is that good measured against since evil is contingent?

currently existing in a randomly changing environment."
Not sure why you want to insist that environmental change is random. Speciation is often driven by environmental change, such as when a population is separated - part of the population finding itself in one place and part in another. This creates the circumstances for the two populations to develop different characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back