Do you believe in Santa Claus

  • Thread starter Thread starter porriwiggle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

porriwiggle

Guest
When my children asked me if I believed in Santa Claus I was always able to say yes without any hesitation.

Later on when they asked me why I would tell them the story of St Nicholas, and the legend of what happened when he died.

As they grew older they realised that it was not Santa Claus who was giving them presents but mum & dad, and each one in his turn asked me why I had lied.

I was able to explain to them that I didn’t lie. I do believe in Saint Nicholas. So do millions of other Catholics, and so does the Church. St Nichols exists, he just doesn’t do the chimney job., and they never asked if he was the one who gave them presents.

So - do you believe in Santa Claus? 🙂
 
I Do!!!

Though I don’t think he has an army of elves and flying reindeer (though maybe they can fly in heaven!).
 
we simply never discussed Santa with the kids, we read the poem as another read aloud story, also Christmas Carol and others, including legend of St. Nicholas from a dutch story book. They knew the ghosts in Christmas carol weren’t real, and that Santa was another fictional character, but that fictional characters can teach real world lessons we need to hear. The always got some presents from Santa, they were usually the oddball ones, not the “big” present–that usually came from grandparents. (never socks, I would not do that to a kid). also it was kind of understood their stockings were filled by Santa, because that is what the poem says, and some of their favorite children’s stories. I confess I did put a new toothbrush and toothpaste in each stocking (also Easter baskets) kind of a standing famlily joke.

I do believe in St. Nicholas as a saint with particularly fondness for children and young people in real need, and teach him that way, we are having St. Nicholas day for the pre-K and Kinder crowd at CCD, this event is always handled by Jr Hi CCD. Someone dresses up as the good bishop and his assistant, visits their classroom, tells his story, while his assistant puts goodie bags in their shoes lined up outside the room. then a party with Advent crafts and games.
 
I found a story about Santa yesterday here: The real Santa Clause

I also heard on a History Channel documentory about soda pop that the red and white outfit we’re used to seeing Santa wear is just a Coca Cola marketing gimmick!
 
Being a person with a fanciful turn of imagination, I do believe in Santa Claus as firmly as I believe in St. Nicholas. Now, before you all think I’m crazy or a heretic or something, I’ll explain. 😉

I believe that Santa Claus represents the joy and merriment, generosity and love we ought to have as we celebrate Christmas. And I believe that children sense that Santa is the personification of those virtues, and so readily believe that he exists. And they are right! 😃

As long as we have the joy of Christ, exude the merriment of those who have been redeemed, are generous in attitude and in giving, and love God and one another with God’s pure love, we will be acting as Santa would, and no doubt as good St. Nicholas himself would behave in celebration of the birth of his Lord and ours. 👍

And so I offer a hearty HO! HO! HO! to you all!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top