Do you believe Muslims and Christians worship the same God?

  • Thread starter Thread starter myfavoritmartin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

myfavoritmartin

Guest
Do you believe Muslims and Christians worship the same God?
Yes or NO?

I voted No, you can’t know the father without knowing Christ.
 
Do you believe Muslims and Christians worship the same God?
Yes or NO?

I voted No, you can’t know the father without knowing Christ.
I voted yes. Not knowing God is not the same as not knowing of Him. Many non-christions know of a God, though they don’t “know” Him.
 
Do Jews and Christians worship the same God? If not, what God do Jews worship?
 
Do you believe Muslims and Christians worship the same God?
Yes or NO?

I voted No, you can’t know the father without knowing Christ.
I voted yes.
The Muslims Worship a songle God who is creator of all things. Sounds like the same God to me. Also there is the fact that Muslims are part of the Abrahamic tradition through Ishmael (I think).

Peace
James
 
Yes, for sure. Many people haven’t had the luxury of knowing, or accepting Christ. But still the same God. Same for the Jewish faithful.
Darrin
 
Muslims reject the word of God as well as Jesus the Christ.

As another post stated, whats to stop me from claiming i am a monotheistic God and am to be worshipped how would that be any different than the claims of islam?

Because of crucial differences between the Christian and Muslim concepts of God, the two faiths cannot both be true, one is worshipping the prince of darkness, the conterfeiter.
One is worshipping the true God.

These early results baffle me the Christian God is triune and is worshiped by Christians as three divine persons in the one Godhead.
Muslims say that Allah has no son. Christians say that Jesus is the Son of God and as equal with God is worthy of worship.
To Muslims this idea is unthinkable as to them Jesus was only a prophet.

How on earth can we be worshipping one in the same God?
 
Do you believe Muslims and Christians worship the same God?
Yes or NO?

I voted No, you can’t know the father without knowing Christ.
I’m with St. Paul (and the Catholic Church):

"Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.” (Acts 17:22-23)

And surely, Jews and Muslims know a lot more about the one true God, our Creator, then the pagan Greeks did; and yet, Paul said they already worship the God he would proclaim to them. God bless.
 
Lotsa yes votes w/o much reasoning, thoughts anyone?
 
Protestants, Catholics, Jews and Muslims all worship the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. That’s just a historical fact. That Muslims and Jews don’t have Jesus or the Trinity is irrelevant to the question being asked.

Rove
 
40.png
Luke65:
And surely, Jews and Muslims know a lot more about the one true God, our Creator, then the pagan Greeks did; and yet, Paul said they already worship the God he would proclaim to them. God bless.
Well said! 👍 I voted yes too.

People have different views of God, even within “Christendom.” Not everyone is right. Yet there is only One True God, and the Muslims worship that same God. The God of Abraham. 🙂
 
I’m with St. Paul (and the Catholic Church):

"Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.” (Acts 17:22-23)

And surely, Jews and Muslims know a lot more about the one true God, our Creator, then the pagan Greeks did; and yet, Paul said they already worship the God he would proclaim to them. God bless.
Read it in context hes talking about worshipping a God who does NOT exist.
 
40.png
myfavoritmartin:
Because of crucial differences between the Christian and Muslim concepts of God, the two faiths cannot both be true, one is worshipping the prince of darkness, the conterfeiter.
One is worshipping the true God.
You’re right in that only one can be true. But that doesn’t mean they don’t worship God.

Catholicism and the Baptist faith cannot both be true, but they both worship the same God, correct? How is this different with Islam?

Islam contains elements of the truth, just as all world religions do. But only Catholicism contains the fullness of Truth. Muslims may not recognize the true nature of God, but they worship Him nonetheless. Imperfectly, and without the grace of the sacraments, but the same God.

Myfavoritemartin, as has been asked, what god do the Jews worship?
 
Read it in context hes talking about worshipping a God who does NOT exist.
He did not say their “UNKNOWN GOD” doesn’t exist, he explained how they were misunderstanding the nature of God. And that is the same thing, only to a lesser degree, that we should be proclaiming to Jews and Muslims.
 
Islam contains elements of the truth, just as all world religions do. But only Catholicism contains the fullness of Truth. Muslims may not recognize the true nature of God, but they worship Him nonetheless. Imperfectly, and without the grace of the sacraments, but the same God.
Well said!

Before I converted to Catholicism (from protestantism), I denied the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. I was missing out on a HUGE part of the Christian faith, but I wouldn’t say I was worshiping a false God because of it. Likewise, Muslims are missing out on a HUGE part of the Truth (i.e. Jesus as God), but I wouldn’t say they’re worshiping a false God.
 
I believe that Muslims believe that they are worshipping the one God, but I do not believe that they actually are. The reason for my belief is that the characteristics of the deity described in the Qur’an are contradictory to some major characteristics of the deity described in the Old and New Testaments. They cannot be the same person.

DaveBj
 
I changed my original opinion and said no due to a technicality in the way the question is presented.

My line of reasoning:
Q1: Did Cain and Abel worship the same God?

A1: No; Cain’s worship was not accepted by God therefor he failed to worship the same God as Abel did since God rejected Cain’s worship (And then Cain promptly murdered Abel out of jealousy).

841 The Church’s relationship with the Muslims. “The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day.” 330

pro·fess (pr-fs, pr-)
v. pro·fessed, pro·fess·ing, pro·fess·es
v.tr.
  1. To affirm openly; declare or claim: “a physics major [who] professes to be a stickler when it comes to data” (Gina Maranto).
  2. To make a pretense of; pretend: “top officials who were deeply involved with the arms sales but later professed ignorance of them” (David Johnston).
a. To practice as a profession or claim knowledge of: profess medicine.
b. To teach (a subject) as a professor: profess literature.
4. To affirm belief in: profess Catholicism.
5. To receive into a religious order or congregation.

Q2: Given CCC 841 that the Muslims “profess” to hold the faith of Abraham" does this equate to the Catholic Church simply stating for record what Muslims claim they believe or does The Catholic Church mean to say that it actually believes as truthful what Muslims claim to believe as fact?

A2: It is not perfectly clear if the Catholic Church is simply parroting for record what Muslims claim they believe or is in fact accepting as truth what Muslims claim they believe. However, given the continuing historical benevolence of the Catholic Church’s dedication to truth it would seem that minimally the Catholic Church is extending the benefit of the doubt if not entirely accepting that Muslims indeed do in fact adore the one, merciful God who is mankind’s single common judge on the last day. It is however ambiguous how The Catholic Church can say “together with us” since there is in fact NO tangible evidence anywhere on earth of any communion between the two different faiths where it can be said that we “together adore” the One Merciful God except in the commingling of prayers to God in heaven.

Conclusionary Comments:
Since we know that God only accepts perfect worship in Spirit and Truth and because we know that He rejects worship that in insincere or not of His liking (e.g. wrong or sacrilegious form) and because there is no communion of worship between Christians and Muslims and because Muslims completely reject God in his 2nd person (Jesus) then Muslim worship can not be acceptable to God. Further Muslim worship can not be gained parasitically through the Catholic Church with no communion or common baptism. Therefor Muslims fail to worship God and by definition “do not succeed in worshiping the same God” because they never succeed in worship.
*
Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to you listens to Me. Whoever rejects you rejects Me. And whoever rejects Me rejects The One who sent Me."
*

QED
It is axiomatic that one can not “worship” God if they reject God viz explicitly rejecting Jesus. By not succeeding in worship it must mean that Muslims in fact do NOT worship the same God because they fail to worship both what they do not understand but more specifically because they have an unacceptable sacrifice and an unacceptable relationship with God.

We only have commonality in our shared hope for God’s Mercy and knowledge that He will judge us all. But that hope is insufficient in proving we worship the same God - we only fear the same God. 😃

FEAR ≠ WORSHIP ≠ COMMUNION

This is ironclad logic and should be infallable. 😉

James
 
I voted yes. There’s only one God, so how could they worship a “different God”? It makes no sense!
As another post stated, whats to stop me from claiming i am a monotheistic God and am to be worshipped how would that be any different than the claims of islam?
No one’s going to worship just a person as the one true God. The one true God has to be transcendant and the creator. If they worshipped someone else as the incarnation of God like Christ was… not sure… would have to look at the specifics.
 
If the church, in all of Her wisdom and along with her theologians including the Pope, says that it is the same God, it is the same God.

How they bastardize the belief in God is irrevelant.
 
What is worship, and how do you tell whom/what a person is engaged in worshiping? I think each human being owes worship to God, so it has to be possible for them to do it, though perhaps in some form only God sees, even if they have not heard of Christ. When they send a prayer of praise or communication out into the void, how does one tell its destination? I’ve never worried about that before, figuring God is smart enough to deliver his mail to himself. 🙂 But from our perspective, looking at ourselves or another person in prayer, is there a way to know to whom the prayer is going?

If a child is instructed that God exists and then starts praying thusly:
God is Great. There is no God but you. Holy is the Lord, the magnificent. Praise be to God, the creator of all the worlds. Guide me in straight paths. Have mercy on me. ETC.
Who is listening, who is this addressed to, how do you tell? Can you only tell if the child is instructed to also say Mohammad is his messenger? If that line is included as the parent instructs, does the poor child become incapable of worshiping God until they learn the parent lied/was wrong? (note that I consider private prayer to be a form of worship). Can you only tell if they are praying with other people as a group?

When I say, “Lord have mercy on me!” I’m not thinking anything elaborate about how the Jews received the covenants and the promises and how Jesus rose from the dead, etc. I’m just talking to whomever it is (God!) with whom I’ve had a relationship all these years, since I was a small child, from when I first prayed. (I’m leaving out the complication of eventually learning about the Trinity, etc.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top