do you fast?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eruvande
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eruvande

Guest
… On Sundays in Lent? I hear conflicting advice about it.
 
The Church requires fasting on two days: Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. (And abstinence on Fridays.)

Any other Lenten sacrifices you make are personal devotions so you decide what, when, and how. What will bring you closer to God? What will help you achieve the “best” (in whatever sense you want to use the word) Lent?
 
Catechism states;
One is not obliged to fast on sundays, even in lent,

But you can if you would like to
The Church requires fasting on two days: Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. (And abstinence on Fridays.)

Any other Lenten sacrifices you make are personal devotions so you decide what, when, and how. What will bring you closer to God? What will help you achieve the “best” (in whatever sense you want to use the word) Lent?
 
I do my best to abstain from meat on Friday. I do not always succeed, unfortunately.
DEFINITELY observe the fast on the two obligatory fast days though.
 
This year I am fasting every Friday during Lent. It’s very difficult and I offer up prayers each time during the day that I am tempted to snack. I thought that this would be a good Lenten penance–an honestly easier than giving up something for 40 days --but it’s been harder than I thought and good for me. Try it!
 
I’ve read and heard in many places that every Sunday is an Easter, a remembrance of Jesus rising from the dead.

Sundays are supposed to be a joyful time, fasting is a sad time, and therefore, I are not meant for Fasting, even during Lent.

Mark 2:19 “While the bridegroom is with them, the attendants of the bridegroom cannot fast, can they? So long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast."

I’ve also read that even if you relax your fasting, Lent is still a penitential time, and maybe you can fill your Sundays with other works of mercy. You’ll have more energy with all the food you’re eating!

Peace 🙂
 
I usually follow Church rules about meat and Fridays and all, and some years I’ll add something of my own to either do extra, or fast from.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top