Do you know of any good TRADITIONAL funeral hymns?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicZ09
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is true. But recessionals such as In Paradisum are used, though one of Bach’s softer instrumentals, such as Little Prelude in G minor, can be appropriate.
In Paradisum is not a recessional. It is the appointed antiphon for the departure of the body. If the distance is great, then Ego Sum and *Benedictus *are added; Ego Sum is also said upon arrival at the cemetery. There is no provision for instrumentals or other pieces.
I also believe that in the EF Masses for the Dead (black vestments) are now allowed on a daily basis.
I am not sure to what “now” refers, but Requiem Masses are permitted, as they have always been, on any unimpeded days.
 
In Paradisum is not a recessional. It is the appointed antiphon for the departure of the body. If the distance is great, then Ego Sum and *Benedictus *are added; Ego Sum is also said upon arrival at the cemetery. There is no provision for instrumentals or other pieces.
Ok, I wasn’t sure. I’ll take your word for it.
I am not sure to what “now” refers, but Requiem Masses are permitted, as they have always been, on any unimpeded days.
Correct.
 
I don’t know if Catholics use it, but my grandmother, and her mother and grandmother, all had The Day Thou Gavest Lord has Ended at their funerals.

I also think Jerusalem the Golden might work, and I have always wanted St Patrick’s Breastplate, though it isn’t the easiest to sing.
 
I forgot to mention “Pie Jesu” from Requiem by Fauré.
this is what I want for my funeral

my mom wanted When the Saints go Marching In but we could not find a dixieland band, which she also wanted.
she got Gesu joy of man’s desiring, sung beautifully by a nephew

when our former pastor was buried we sang Soon and Very Soon We are Going to see the King, because it was his favorite, and I still choke up when I hear it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top