Do you know what your Spiritual Gifts Are?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sirach14
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings

There are the gifts mentioned by Joysong that we learn about in the Old Testament and they talk about when we are confirmed.
However, The Holy Spirit is not limited to just these gifts.
In the New Testament, we learn about many more gifts. They are Charisms or what many call Charismatic Gifts. The gift of the Word of Knowledge is one of these as is the Gift of Healing. Very often, I would pray with a person with the Gift of Healing and the Holy Spirit would enlighten me with what ailed a person. On rare occaisions, I could actually experience the persons pain in my own body.

Feanaro's Wife:
This is a great thread!

I am new to the Catholic faith… actually to faith in general.

I wasn’t even aware that there were specifically seven gifts. I will have to look into this for sure.

I have always known that God gives every one of us special talents and gifts, but I thought that was just a broad speculation.

I don’t have a clue what my gifts may be. Could someone tell me what the seven are?

Thank you for this topic:)

Malia
Well welcome home! There are 7 gifts of the Spirit and twelve fruits of the Spirit. Very interesting stuff to look at! I’m almost positive you can find them in the Catechism, and I know at least some of the gifts/fruits come from some of St. Paul’s letters. Sorry I can’t be more specific than that, but if one of these wonderful people don’t beat me to it, I will come back tomorrow with more info.

40.png
Shoshana:
Code:
I would have to beg to differ here, if I may.

Grace is built on nature, but not always.

Some gifts can cause one to be alienated at times and you only have to look to the Gospels and the OT to see that. A lot of prophets were beat up for their prophetic voice in the community.

Blessings,
Shoshana
Very true! It’s too bad we have to persecuted and riddiculed for our beliefs. Like I said, not sure how totally accurate that statement was, but it’s always something to start with. Certainly not the end all, be all.

All,

The seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, in alphabetical order are:
  • Counsel
  • Fear (of the Lord)
  • Fortitude
  • Knowledge
  • Piety
  • Understanding
  • Wisdom
I did not research the fruits since we are speaking in this thread about gifts and charisms.

There is a very nice definition of charism in the CCC, #799 and 800:

Whether extraordinary or simple and humble, charisms are graces of the Holy Spirit which directly or indirectly benefit the Church, ordered as they are to her building up, to the good of men, and to the needs of the world.

Charisms are to be accepted with gratitude by the person who receives them and by all members of the Church as well. They are a wonderfully rich grace for the apostolic vitality and for the holiness of the entire Body of Christ, provided they really are genuine gifts of the Holy Spirit and are used in full conformity with authentic promptings of this same Spirit, that is, in keeping with charity, the true measure of all charisms.

I think the distinction we need to make when speaking about our gifts, is whether or not they flow from the indwelling gifts received in the sacraments and become perfected as we grow in virtue;

… or the gratuitous gifts given to the Body of Christ for its building up by the Spirit who bestows them. Roberta mentioned healing and the word of knowledge. I have a feeling the latter may flow from the Gift of Knowledge, though, and is not in the category of being gratuitous, as healing would be. Knowledge would work hand in hand with healing.

The difference can be confusing because the original poster did not ask for specifics.

I realize, sad to say, that many oppose the charisms, but the Church herself teaches us that they are to be treasured, and received and respected, by both the recipient and the members of the Church. However, they need to be properly discerned as authentic.

Carole

I realize, sad to say, that many oppose the charisms, but the Church herself teaches us that they are to be treasured, and received and respected, by both the recipient and the members of the Church. However, they need to be properly discerned as authentic.
Dear Carole,

Sad to say, reason being (for the opposition): charisms are no longer discerned and all effort of discernment is rejected (look at Medjugorje, charismatic prophecies, tongues etc.) So until Catholic discernment is accepted, how can we accept any of these charisms to be authentic?

40.png
Joysong:

Carole
Code:
You are right Carole. Although charisms have existed from the beginning of the Church itself. Many of our saints (even little Therese) had charisms manifested in their lives. They may not have the brou-ha-ha of the Charismatic Renewal, but exist they do. Most communities have a specific charism given to them by the HS. This is not news.

The problem, as I see it, is that the charism is used without discernemnt or abused even. There is a time and an order for all gifts as St Paul keeps warning the Corinthians. The Corinthians were a charismatic people as we know it. They were certainly a thorn in his side and this problem still exists today with the charismatics. I myself have been involved in the Renewal for many years but I am not so active anymore. I have seen so much damage done because of spiritual pride. I also see it in my evangelical brother (blood brother).

As Fr Bob Bedard (the founder of the Companions of the Cross) has said at one of this conferences…it would be better that a Catholic (or any christins for that matter) after being ‘born again’ should be put in the closet for 3 years to mature before being sent out in ministry. I thought that was appropriate. Many enthusiastic newcomers do not listen to any authority other than the Holy Spirit talking to them ( so they perceive, but, a true test of being in the Spirit is to obey). There have been a lot clashes between clerics and charismatics undermining the great work that the Renewal can do in the name of Jesus.

Anyway, enough said.

Blessings,
Shoshana

Thanks for all the posts …helping me understand the terms…
Its something I must think and pray about…of course reading the advised bible scripture will help…

🙂

Dear friends

The 12 Fruits of the Holy Spirit

1. *]Charity
    *]Joy
    *]Peace
    *]Patience
    *]Benignity
    *]Goodness
    *]Long-suffering (patient suffering over an extended period)
    *]Mildness
    *]Faith
    *]Modesty
    *]Continency
    *]Chastity

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

" The Apostle Paul addresses the presence of spiritual gifts in three main sections of scripture. Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12, and Ephesians 4. Peter also verifies their existence in 1 Peter 4:10. Through these sections of scripture, we learn that all Christians have been given at least one spiritual gift. The purpose of spiritual gifts is twofold: (1) to unify Christians in their faith and (2) to produce growth within the church, both numerical and spiritual. These gifts are to be used out of love for one another, and in service to one another."

Here are a few more gifts one may have:

Administration- 1 Corinthians 12:28, Acts 14:23.

Artistry- Exodus 31:1-11, Psalm 149:3a

Discernment- John 16:6-15, Romans 9;1, 1 Corinthians 2:-9-16.

Evangelism- Matthew 28:16-20, Ephesians 4:11-16, Acts 2:36-40

Exhortation- John 14:1, 2 Timothy 1:16-18, 3 John 5-8

Faith- Genesis 12:1-4a, Mark 5:25-34, 1 Thessalonians 1:8-10

Giving- 2 Corinthians 9:6-15, Luke 21:1-4

Music: Vocal- Psalm 96: 1-9, Psalm 100:1-2, Psalm 149:1-2.

Music: Instrumental- Psalm 33:1-5, Psalm 150, 1 Samuel 16:14-23

Skilled Craft- Exodus 30:1-6, Exodus 31:3-5, Ezekiel 27:4-11.

Teaching 1 Corinthians 12:28, Matthew 5:1-12, Acts 18:24-48

Wow, I’ve never heard of Catholics having this discussion. I’ve only seen it in Protestant circles. I’ve always thought of the gifts of the Holy Spirit to be things we have available to us when we need them (cooperating w/ grace of course). I never thought of having just one or having one taken away and another given in its place. Does that mean we can only have one at a time? —KCT

I never thought of having just one or having one taken away and another given in its place. Does that mean we can only have one at a time?

Dear KCT,

No, it does not mean we can have only one at a time. The gifts are for the benefit of the Body and not for private enjoyment. The number of gifts is not indicative of holiness either. Different gifts are needed at different times. Gifts can also be lost if we fall into sin. One of David’s most beloved prayers is “Do not drive me from your presence, nor take from me your holy spirit.”

Tru,

That is true that the manifestation of the gift is not a thermometer for one’s holiness. BUT, as one becomes more holy, these gifts manifest themselves in a deeper sense…now, could you please explain that to me? 😉

How does one discern one from the other? We don’t. That would certainly be up to God. Although, I must say there is a small way of weighing this…is the person obedient to the Magisterium, the cleric, spiritual director etc. (as the seers in Lourdes and Fatima, Padre Pio, for example) as opposed to those who are defiant to the magisterium, cleric, spiritual director, etc. I think it was Saint Faustina who regularly had visions of Jesus. Jesus told her to meet Him in the chapel at 3:00 and she complied. As she was approaching the chapel, the Mother Superior asked her to clean the toilets and here again, she complied. She went to the chapel after her job and saw Jesus waiting. He told her that if she did not obey her Superior, He would not have appeared to her at that moment as He believes obedience is the epitomy of holiness (unless it leads one to sin). He, Himself was made perfect by obedience to His Father when He died on the cross for our salvation. So, this is a great rule of thumb.

Blessings,
Shoshana

40.png
tru_dvotion:
I truly dislike these kinds of threads. Why would anyone want to list off their gifts to one another is truly baffling to me? It reminds me of kindergarten. Whose car is bigger and whose daddy is stronger. Let’s compare and make each other feel less by building up ourselves. Nothing nauseates me more than endless talk about how gifted we are.
My Daddy will crush your daddy and I have the gift to tell other people that they don’t have the gift 👍

Shoshana said:
That is true that the manifestation of the gift is not a thermometer for one’s holiness. BUT, as one becomes more holy, these gifts manifest themselves in a deeper sense…now, could you please explain that to me? 😉

Dear Shoshana,

Gladly! When we speak about manifestation of gifts, we are speaking about visible gifts that are apparent to others. If we lack discernment, we would also include those “gifts” which are not obvious, unless the “recipient” reminds us having these gifts.

The holier a person becomes, the more reluctant he will be to speak about the graces he receives. Instead of thinking of himself as gifted, he will think of himself as terribly insufficient without God’s grace and to be the most useless and undeserving among all of God’s creatures. Some of the greatest saints’ closest company were totally unaware of the most extraordinary graces received by these extraordinarily gifted souls.

I agree with you, obedience is one measure. Humility is another. God bless.

Tru,
The holier a person becomes, the more reluctant he will be to speak about the graces
he receives.

I think for the sake of those who are trying to follow this thread with many differing terminologies, we need to clarify just one more term for them - “graces.”

There is a difference between gifts, charisms, and graces as we have been discussing. It is true what you said in your quote about a holy person being reluctant to speak about the “graces” he receives, if you were referring to supernatural graces, which are gifts of mystical prayer and have little to do with talents, gifts, or charisms that are freely given for the building up of the Body of Christ.

These “graces” are interior, and are given to advance the person in holiness, rather than be used for the benefit of others - although it is true that personal holiness will redound to the benefit of others just by their being a part of the Vine, Christ. You are correct that the Holy Spirit inclines these persons to keep His treasures hidden within and speak not of them.

True humility in such persons would honestly recognize, and even admit if need be, that they have been given other useful gifts for the community, and they may even volunteer their services. For instance, a music minister would not hide his talent, but would be glad to assist in liturgies. It is right and good to speak of this gift in hopes of being accepted by the pastor. That is not boasting, but honestly recognizing an ability to serve others. Making known these gifts for the good of others, in this case, is different from hiding one’s mystical graces.

“Do not hide your light under a bushel basket, but put it on the lampstand that all in the household may see and glorify Thy Father.”

Carole

Shoshana,
As Fr Bob Bedard (the founder of the Companions of the Cross) has said at one of this conferences…it would be better that a Catholic (or any christins for that matter) after being ‘born again’ should be put in the closet for 3 years to mature before being sent out in ministry.
Fr. Bob has spoken wisely and with prudence. Here is what St. Teresa has written, not perhaps about gifts in general, but with regard to hasty zeal that knows no limitations nor walks in wisdom.
This is the deception by which the devil wins his prey. When a soul finds itself very near to God and sees what a difference there is between the good things of Heaven and those of earth, and what love the Lord is showing it, there is born of this love a confidence and security that there will be no falling away from what it is now enjoying. It seems to have a clear vision of the reward and believes that it cannot now possibly leave something which even in this life is so sweet and delectable for anything as base and soiled as earthly pleasure.
Because it has this confidence, the devil is able to deprive it of the misgivings which it ought to have about itself; and, as I say, it runs into many dangers, and in its zeal begins to give away its fruit without stint, thinking that it has now nothing to fear. This condition is not a concomitant of pride, for the soul clearly understands that of itself it can do nothing; it is the result of its extreme confidence in God, which knows no discretion.

The soul does not realize that it is like a bird still unfledged. It is able to come out of the nest, and God is taking it out, but it is not yet ready to fly, for its virtues are not yet strong and it has no experience which will warn it of dangers, nor iis it aware of the harm done by self-confidence. It was this that ruined me.
Chapter 19, Life of St. Teresa of Avila.
Carole

Dear Carole,

*These “graces” are interior, and are given to advance the person in holiness, rather than be used for the benefit of others - although it is true that personal holiness will redound to the benefit of others just by their being a part of the Vine, Christ. *

I respectfully disagree with you Carole. ALL gifts are for benefit of the Body. No part of the Body can exist on its own; the parts need each another. Any benefit to one is a benefit to the rest. Any injury to one injures the rest. As you said we are part of the Vine, not apart from it in any sense.
a music minister would not hide his talent, but would be glad to assist in liturgies. It is right and good to speak of this gift in hopes of being accepted by the pastor. That is not boasting, but honestly recognizing an ability to serve others. Making known these gifts for the good of others, in this case, is different from hiding one’s mystical graces.

You are correct of course regarding the music leader. There is chronic shortage of good musicians. But speaking from an experience in the arts, I would say 95 % of those “gifts” are hard work and perhaps only 5 % is gift. What transforms the cantor’s or the musician’s work into a ministry is those hidden, interior graces we shouldn’t really be discussing with one another anyway.

“Do not hide your light under a bushel basket, but put it on the lampstand that all in the household may see and glorify Thy Father.”

When we quote the Scriptures in isolation, there is a danger of misinterpretation. What this tells me is to use our gifts and not to let them lay inactive or unappreciated. This passage does not encourage me to go around announcing my gifts to the world. But then offering my services to the parish priest would be hardly in that category.

Dear Tru,
40.png
Carole:
*These “graces” are interior, and are given to advance the person in holiness, rather than be used for the benefit of others - although it is true that personal holiness will redound to the benefit of others just by their being a part of the Vine, Christ.
Tru:
I respectfully disagree with you Carole. ALL gifts are for benefit of the Body. No part of the Body can exist on its own; the parts need each another. Any benefit to one is a benefit to the rest. Any injury to one injures the rest. As you said we are part of the Vine, not apart from it in any sense.
I think that is what I said, is it not? — that one’s holiness will redound to the entire Body? What I think you may be misunderstanding is that mystical prayer gifts cannot be put to service for others in the same way as a gift (charism) of healing could do. The person cannot relegate his personal interior grace to another, other than as being a part of the Vine in which all graces flow. Impossible, if you stop and think about it.

IOW, I cannot give you or anyone else my personal grace of “union with God.” But as a member of the Body of Christ, you will somehow benefit indirectly. It is possible we are interpreting the terminology differently, but saying the same thing.
Tru:
Do not hide your light under a bushel basket, but put it on the lampstand that all in the household may see and glorify Thy Father
*."

When we quote the Scriptures in isolation, there is a danger of misinterpretation. What this tells me is to use our gifts and not to let them lay inactive or unappreciated. This passage does not encourage me to go around announcing my gifts to the world. But then offering my services to the parish priest would be hardly in that category.

Tru, I’m beginning to wonder whether you are looking for ways to disagree with me. This is an irrelevant issue, and I did not intend to guide anyone, by citing that scripture, to “announce their gifts to the world.”

I see no danger of misinterpretation here, for a noble mind would read it just as Jesus intended, that a person should use their gifts to glorify His Father, which was very clearly depicted in the last words of the verse.

Carole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back