Do you pray the Jesus Prayer?

• Thread starter Thread starter romano
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

romano

Do you pray the Jesus Prayer? - Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner.

If so, how often do you pray it and for how many repetitions or for how long? What led you to start praying it? What effects, if any, have you noticed? Do you use it as your sole prayer (pardon the pun) or do you also say the Rosary and other prayers? What sort of beads, if any, do you use when praying it? Do you recommend it as a practice?

:blessyou:

I don’t know if this is proper, as I am not a Catholic, but I pray it after every “Our Father” of the Rosary. Also, I often say it a few times to begin a “session” of prayer, as before I begin the Rosary, or any other prayers or praying I am going to do, such as a chaplet novena to St. Jude, for example.

The Jesus Prayer is a beautiful practice to adopt. It is usually done using a chotki (prayer rope). The Jesus Prayer is the common practice among Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholics. It does not negate the practice of any other type of prayer. (ie: Lectio Divina, Rosary, Office, etc,). As you may notice, I use it in my signature! 🙂

40.png
Zarozinnia:
I don’t know if this is proper, as I am not a Catholic, but I pray it after every “Our Father” of the Rosary. Also, I often say it a few times to begin a “session” of prayer, as before I begin the Rosary, or any other prayers or praying I am going to do, such as a chaplet novena to St. Jude, for example.
Do not be concerned about what is “proper”. You are very blessed to have such a full prayer life!

The Jesus Prayer can be said anytime and anywhere, including interspersed between any other prayers. You have a prayer rule of your own that works and I would say that this is wonderful.

I myself have experimented considerably with my prayer rule, including swapping the positions of the “Our Father” with the “Hail Mary” and also saying 150 Jesus Prayers with “Our Fathers” or “Glory Be” doxologies between each decade.

Whenever we have recourse to the Holy Name we do well, I think.

+T+
Michael

It mostly comes to mind pre and post reconciliation. I use it a lot to remind myself what really counts and the fact that He is here for me.

40.png
Hesychios:
Do not be concerned about what is “proper”. You are very blessed to have such a full prayer life!

The Jesus Prayer can be said anytime and anywhere, including interspersed between any other prayers. You have a prayer rule of your own that works and I would say that this is wonderful.

I myself have experimented considerably with my prayer rule, including swapping the positions of the “Our Father” with the “Hail Mary” and also saying 150 Jesus Prayers with “Our Fathers” or “Glory Be” doxologies between each decade.

Whenever we have recourse to the Holy Name we do well, I think.

+T+
Michael
Well said! 👍

What could possibly be “improper” about praying the name of Jesus Christ? As you rightly point out, the answer of course is - nothing at all!

I think the Jesus Prayer is a wonderful practice for anyone to take up.

40.png
Mickey:
The Jesus Prayer is a beautiful practice to adopt. It is usually done using a chotki (prayer rope). The Jesus Prayer is the common practice among Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholics. It does not negate the practice of any other type of prayer. (ie: Lectio Divina, Rosary, Office, etc,). As you may notice, I use it in my signature! 🙂
Yes, although a regular rosary can be used a CHOTKI does seem best. I knew that CHOTKI came in 100-bead and 50-bead sizes but was delighted today to discover at eBay one with 3 decades separated by 3 small crosses.

33 prayers is an ideal size for the busy and seems to be based on the practice of “repeating the prayer of Jesus thirty-three times in honor of the Holy Trinity, and in memory of the thirty-three years of the earthly life of Jesus Christ” (p.27).

This point, BTW, is taken from THE WAY OF A PILGRIM (ISBN 0-06-063017-5), a truly beautiful story that comes to us out of a lost world and that makes fascinating reading for anyone interested in the Jesus Prayer.

Nice signature! 👍

I typically say it 3x while double-genuflecting before the exposed eucharist…

This is my favorite prayer. I find myself praying it at all kinds of occasions: when I have trouble falling asleep, when I stand in line at the store, or when driving.
I made my own prayer ‘rope’ by tying 50 knots into super-bulky yarn, & attaching a knotted cross of the same material, to use during my regular prayer time.
Sometimes, I also say it on rosary beads.

I use this prayer when I struggle with temptation. I also say it as I approach communion. I think it works. It especially gives you respect for Jesus’ name.

I learned it a little bit differently though. Lord Jesus Christ, *Son of the Living God, *Have mercy on me, a sinner. Only a subtle difference.😃

Yes, I do say the Jesus prayer. I have never watched the clock when I say it so I have no idea how long I do when I do but I often say it at night as I’m falling off to sleep, over and over again. It is very calming and comforting to me. I also say it before and after Confession. What I love about it is it is so simple and so complete in its simplicity. Many blessings,

Geraldine

I pray it occasionally, when it comes to mind, and I should pray it more. I also learned it “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”

The famous Sister Angela taught us that verse in grade school and whenever I have a judgemental thought, to this day, I still say those words to myself maybe a couple of times a week. What a wonderful example of a humble person Jesus gave us in that parable.

I recently started to pray, " Lord Jesus, grant me your mercy and forgiveness.". I do this when I’m tempted and often the temptations I am experiencing diminish for a while.
Whenever I make a visit to the Blessed Sacrament I always kneel before our Lord, head down, and say, " Lord, be merciful to me a sinner.". I beat my chest when I say this. I do this to acknowledge what is true, and to ask forgiveness.

I said “no” but I pray:

Oh my Jesus forgive us our sins and save us from the fires of hell. Lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of thy mercy.

Yes,I pray the JESUS PRAYER when I leave my home ,when I walk down a flight of stairs, when I get on an elevator,when I first see the sky ect.Always keeping in mind what St Paul said to pray without ceaseing.

40.png
LBNA:
Yes,I pray the JESUS PRAYER when I leave my home ,when I walk down a flight of stairs, when I get on an elevator,when I first see the sky ect.Always keeping in mind what St Paul said to pray without ceaseing.
Yes, that seems to be the idea, to say it as often as possible. Once it’s become firmly lodged in the mind through frequent repetition it seems to do various things. One thing I’ve noticed is that it acts as a sort of alarm whenever negative thoughts or feelings occur. It just pops into the mind and reminds me to stop.

I am Eastern Rite Catholic and I pray the Jesus Prayer on a chotki.

It is customary to take the chotki to bed, and fall asleep while praying it. That way you end up praying it in your dreams.

My prayer life isn’t that deep yet, that it would permeate my dreams. But what a beautiful concept! I hope someday I can attain that depth of praying at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back