Do you pray the Jesus Prayer?

• Thread starter Thread starter romano
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I pray the Jesus Prayer daily in the morning when I go for a walk and at night ebfore I go to bed. My Catholic daughter-in-law and my non-practicing LDS son made two 33 wooden bead chotkis for me. They fit easily in my pocket. I keep one there and the other at my bedside. It is very comforting.

40.png
Tamelyne:
I am Eastern Rite Catholic and I pray the Jesus Prayer on a chotki.

It is customary to take the chotki to bed, and fall asleep while praying it. That way you end up praying it in your dreams.
👍 Great idea! Thanks!

40.png
Tamelyne:
I am Eastern Rite Catholic and I pray the Jesus Prayer on a chotki.

It is customary to take the chotki to bed, and fall asleep while praying it. That way you end up praying it in your dreams.

My prayer life isn’t that deep yet, that it would permeate my dreams. But what a beautiful concept! I hope someday I can attain that depth of praying at all times.
Tammy,
Christ is Risen!
Welcome to the Forums!
I posted on the rosary thread, that i have said the Jesus Prayer. And as a returning Eatern Byzantine Catholic, I find the Jesus Prayer the easiest to say but the most reverent. I have siad it while going to sleep.
It’s very comforting.

There are times I find myself saying it quietly in my head while I am doing other things, like typing this. It’s a great prayer!

I have to make this a habit in praying this. I do pray the Trisagion; it is supposed to be a hymn, but since I’m not an Eastern rite (yet), I have made it a habit to pray it.

For anyone out there who may be interested in reading up on the Jesus Prayer, I first learned about it in Peter Kreeft’s chapter "“Jesus”: The Shortest, Simplest, and Most Powerful Prayer in the World," in his very useful Prayer for Beginners (San Francisco:Ignatius Press, 2000. pp.53-74). ISBN 0-89870-775-7

Since then I’ve read three very good books on it:

Irma Zaleski Living the Jesus Prayer(Novalis, 2003). ISBN 0-8264-1090-2.

Frederica Mathewes-Green, The Illumined Heart - The Ancient Christian Path of Transformation. (Brewster, Mass; Paraclete Press, 2001. ISBN 1-55725-286-6

and the wonderful The Way of a Pilgrim which exists in several editions.

There are many other good books on it but these are a good place to start finding out more about The Jesus Prayer and how it’s practiced.

40.png
huskerfan:
I said “no” but I pray:

Oh my Jesus forgive us our sins and save us from the fires of hell. Lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of thy mercy.
Is this part of the rosary?

carol marie:
Is this part of the rosary?
I believe it’s called The Fatima Prayer. It can be added as an optional prayer after the ‘Glory Be’ of each decade. Others may be able to tell you more.

I just realized something about the Jesus prayer yesterday…I have always read that if you pray it enough, for long enough, it is said that “it starts to pray itself”. I always thought, “yeah, OK, probably works for, oh, say,…:cool: Russian Pilgrims,” right??
OK, I have dial up for the computer, & I don’t know how long I have been doing this, but yesterday, I realized that w/o even thinking of it, I was using that time for the prayer of Jesus. This was not intentional, mind you, I just was somehow falling into the habit of using it that way; it was so neat!
Anyway, I would encourage people to try it during those otherwise annoying little patches of time that creep in all over our days, because it will, indeed, begin to “pray itself”, even in 😛 ordinary mortals…The kind who,maybe, might think that a Russian Pilgrim sounds like 👋 something you drink at Applebee’s…

Thank you for bringing this up. Sadly, I only remember this infrequently, yet this post will lead to better memory on my part so thank you and God Bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back