Do you pray to or for souls in Purgatory?

• Thread starter Thread starter Alma
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We should make it a habit never to forget the Holy Souls at the Holy water font.

Sprinke a few drops in their name as the souls nearest to Heaven will reach it because of the few drops. Certainly, you will gain numerous intercessors becuase of this action.

40.png
Fergal:
We should make it a habit never to forget the Holy Souls at the Holy water font.

Sprinke a few drops in their name as the souls nearest to Heaven will reach it because of the few drops. Certainly, you will gain numerous intercessors becuase of this action.
Come again? This sounds like a very pious act which I would like to start doing but I have no idea what you said. Could you please explain it in a bit more detail and maybe provide some background information.

I, too, say the St. Gertrude prayer just after the Fatima Prayer with each decade of the rosary I pray daily. For all the reasons cited here. I don’t know if 1,000 souls are released with each repetition of this prayer (which is the promise), but it’s a lovely thought. I’d like to be helping to emtpy out Purgatory. 🙂
nianka

I believe there is Purgatory, but I do not quite see the point of praying to or for souls that are there
We pray for the souls in the purgatory.
We ask all the saints to pray for the souls in the purgatory because they are the one who are very near to them and to GOD.

Sir Knight:
Come again? This sounds like a very pious act which I would like to start doing but I have no idea what you said. Could you please explain it in a bit more detail and maybe provide some background information.
Yeah sure!

Holy Water, sprinkled with faith and piety, can move the Sacred Heart of Jesus to bless your loved ones, present or absent, and protect them from all harm of soul and body.

**The Power of Holy Water. **This article explains the power of Holy Water and all the spiritual benefits we can derive from it . Did you know that the Holy Souls long for it? Only in Purgatory can one understand how ardently a poor soul longs for holy water. If we desire to make a host of intercessors for ourselves, let us try to realize now some of their yearnings, and never forget them at the holy water font. The holy souls nearest to Heaven may need the sprinkling of only one drop to relieve their pining souls (Imprimatur: Albert G. Meyer, Archbishop)

When you reach ito the Holy Water font and take some on your fingers, sprinkle a few drops on the ground with these words ***“May these drops of Holy Water multiply so that each of the Holy Souls in Purgatory may benefit from its effects.”

***There are souls in Purgatory who need just one drop of Holy Water sprinkled for them in order to reach Heaven. Just imagine that as soon as you do this act and release them, you have made new intercessors for yourself. These souls will spend their eternity interceding for you before God.

Then reach in take some more drops on your fingers and bless yourself saying "May this Holy Water and the Precious Blood of Jesus Christ wash aways all my sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, Amen."

Hello all,

let’s not forget the The Rosary of the Holy Wounds.

catholictradition.org/holy-wounds.htm

Why pray for the holy souls? Because they suffer terribly and our
prayers can release them. The best thing we can do is offer mass for them.

God bless,
Noel.

Yes I do, everyday. I always say the following for my dear parents and those close to me who have gone before me.

O gentlest Heart of Jesus, ever present in the Blessed Sacrament, ever consumed with burning love for the poor captive souls in Purgatory, have mercy on the soul of Thy departed servant. Be not severe in Thy judgement but let some drops of Thy Precious Blood fall upon the devouring flames, and do Thou, O merciful Saviour, send Thy angels to conduct Thy departed servant to a place of refreshment, light and peace. Amen.
May the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.:gopray2:

Thank you very much for your answers!:tiphat:

So far I see many of you pray for the souls in Purgatory (which I also do) but none of you pray to them. Why is that? Maybe because they can not intercede for us since they are not yet in Heaven?

What do you think?

Alma

I have a question, but I’m not sure it will make sense.

Since we don’t know how long souls are in purgatory…is it alright to pray for a specific person? Ex. My father died in '98, but if I assume he’s out of purgatory and stop praying for his soul he could still be there. What if he’s already in Heaven, but I’m still praying for his soul in purgatory? Should prayers just be for ALL souls in purgatory?

Excellent questions Maria
Since we don’t know how long souls are in purgatory…is it alright to pray for a specific person?
Yes
What if he’s already in Heaven, but I’m still praying for his soul in purgatory?
Prayer is never wasted. If he is in heaven God will redistribute those graces according to Divine Providence. Your prayers could be helping out some great grandpa in Africa or Uncle Joe whom died of a heart attack. God only knows.

Lets say Uncle Joe was a great guy and built up many spiritual treasures, but neglected the souls in purgatory. While in purgatory Joe recieves many prayers and sacrafices, but God distributes those prayers to the people Joe neglected to pray for first. He will still obtain a high level in heaven, but his time in purgatory is longer because of the neglect. Does that make sense? I am trying to say God uses prayer according to Divine Providence, which may or may not be the same as our prayer intention.
Should prayers just be for ALL souls in purgatory?
Sometimes our prayer request can be selfish or to narrow scope. Ask God to direct your heart to pray they way He wants you to pray. When I feel God calling me to pray for my Mom, sister or other family members in purgatory I extend the prayer scope by adding all mothers, sisters or family members. I have found this to be very fruitful prayer practice.

May eternal rest be granted unto Maria’s father and all fathers O Lord and may the souls of the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen

My question is, how can you NOT pray for the souls in purgatory? Have you ever read “Read It or Rue It”? It’s amazing. It has biblical and traditional teachings of purgatory. We have to pray for the souls in purgatory for they are the ones who pray for us when we are suffering in purgatory. Do you think it’s just a coincidence that the Catholic church prays for the souls in purgatory all the time? PRAY FOR THEM, expecially for those who have no one else to pray for them. God Bless!

Go to www.biblechristiansociety.com there are a number of FREE cd’s, and tapes there you can order. There is one that shows biblical evidence for Purgatory. These cd’s are good to keep on hand for our non Catholic Brothers, and Sisters to hear.
ALWAYS, pray for the souls in purgatory.
God Bless You!
M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back