A
Arizona_Mike
Guest
I’m trying to identify the title on a book I remember from childhood.
My grandmother, who was the first in our family to convert to the Catholic faith, assembled a small library of books about Catholicism that I always enjoyed reading. One was a hardback book of Saints, with interior illustrations by the husband-and-wife artist team of Leo and Diane Dillon (who also worked under the name “The Dillons”). They had a very distinctive, almost wood-block looking style that worked very well for the interior illustrations of the lives of the Saints.
They were very prolific, did a lot of paperback covers (especially a lot of work with the science fiction author Harlan Ellison, as well as other SF authors), children’s books, spoken word album covers, and so forth. They won the Caldecott award for book illustration.
I haven’t been able to find the title in any on-line bibliography. This book was definitely published sometime before 1968 (when my grandmother, God bless her, passed away), and would probably have been published sometime in the late 1950s to early 1960s. I would love to find a used copy.
Anyone have any ideas? Any identification of the title/author would be much appreciated.
I’ve linked to some similar artwork by the Dillons to see if it shakes any memories.
http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/236x/0c/86/f9/0c86f9a1fd0352ab16fe4799e65205d3.jpg
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
My grandmother, who was the first in our family to convert to the Catholic faith, assembled a small library of books about Catholicism that I always enjoyed reading. One was a hardback book of Saints, with interior illustrations by the husband-and-wife artist team of Leo and Diane Dillon (who also worked under the name “The Dillons”). They had a very distinctive, almost wood-block looking style that worked very well for the interior illustrations of the lives of the Saints.
They were very prolific, did a lot of paperback covers (especially a lot of work with the science fiction author Harlan Ellison, as well as other SF authors), children’s books, spoken word album covers, and so forth. They won the Caldecott award for book illustration.
I haven’t been able to find the title in any on-line bibliography. This book was definitely published sometime before 1968 (when my grandmother, God bless her, passed away), and would probably have been published sometime in the late 1950s to early 1960s. I would love to find a used copy.
Anyone have any ideas? Any identification of the title/author would be much appreciated.
I’ve linked to some similar artwork by the Dillons to see if it shakes any memories.
http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/236x/0c/86/f9/0c86f9a1fd0352ab16fe4799e65205d3.jpg
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)