Do you speak emoji?

  • Thread starter Thread starter didymus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

didymus

Guest
The NY Times has an article The Emoji Have Won the Battle of Word . The gist is that 200 new emoji have been approved and people now conducting “converstions” entirely in emoji.

And there’s a quiz, Are You Fluent in Emoji?

My results:
Your score: 4
** Emoji Fail (0 - 5) **
Code:
 You may want to stick to using words. 

  **How others score:**
Code:
                    **           You're an Emoji Whisperer (8 - 10)         **
Code:
     Congratulations! You can carry on entire conversations in emojis.Go forth and teach others.
   
                 **           You're Pretty Good at Emojis (6 - 7)         **
Code:
     You have just enough fluency to add emojis to your phrases, but not enough to go full emoji. Good effort!
Never been so proud to fail a test.
 
I got a five. I’ve never had anyone try to communicate with me in this way.
 
I have never seen anything like that, but I took the quiz anyway. 8/10. That could be scary, but then I was a linguist by vocation and still am by avocation.
 
Yikes… 8/10… maybe all that chemistry actually warped my brain after all… starting to make sense now why I can “see” the atoms and molecules in my head when reading a chemical equation. 😛
 
I got 10, I don’t know if I should be proud or ashamed; I’m an English teacher.
 
I’ve never used emoji, but I played picture word puzzles worth my dad when I was little. I think that’s how I got a very sad ten.
 
I got a 9. I’m not ashamed.😃

It was like figuring out a rebus puzzle.

I use emoji’s in my text messages at times, I use them as emoticons.
 
I got a 9. I’m not ashamed.😃

It was like figuring out a rebus puzzle.

I use emoji’s in my text messages at times, I use them as emoticons.
I can certainly see how emoji are interesting as puzzles or a linguistic development. But I think texting itself has had a negative impact not just on literacy but on thought itself & now a regression from text to what are essentially pictograms I hope this doesn’t catch on. We’d be throwing away thousands of years of cultural evolution.
 
Very interesting quiz, I’m a 7! Love emojis they really help to brighten up an otherwise mundane text “conversation”! 😛
 
I’ve never used emoji, but I played picture word puzzles worth my dad when I was little. I think that’s how I got a very sad ten.
I don’t think it’s sad. They’re just pictures. Scientists get paid a lot to report on hieroglyphics.
Listen, we have a game show that’s been on tv since God was a boy where they give huge prizes to people who can make out phrases like “turn the page” from a lady in an evening gown that flips big letters.
I think it would be sadder if we all got very low scores.
A 4 finger forehead is a good thing. 👍 😃
 
I got an eight. I don’t know anyone who has conversations in nothing but emoji’s, but I do think the faces are useful. They make tone a little clearer compared to pure writing- if you say “See you then 😅”, that’s different than “See you then 😁”, and both are more expressive than words alone. Still not as good as face-to-face communication, but you don’t lose quite as much of the intended emotions.

Anyway, a lot of us are getting high scores even without practice, so this must be a valid form of communication. 🤷
 
:rotfl::banghead::bighanky::hug1:

I was rolling on the floor, laughing and I hit my head. Now I am crying and I need a hug.
 
I don’t think it’s sad. They’re just pictures. Scientists get paid a lot to report on hieroglyphics.
Listen, we have a game show that’s been on tv since God was a boy where they give huge prizes to people who can make out phrases like “turn the page” from a lady in an evening gown that flips big letters.
I think it would be sadder if we all got very low scores.
A 4 finger forehead is a good thing. 👍 😃
Only four? 😉

I think I cheated, if that’s possible. I just chose the sentence v structure that correlated to the string of pictures. Based on that, I could never use emoji as a language.

Wait, #4 was the only one I got without having to read the sentences…because keeping my phone charged can be an issue at times!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top