Loved it! Thanks so much for sharing. Makes me wish the whole world could be like that small town in Croatia…
Just to note, the author is wrong, it is not in Croatia at all. It is Herzegovina. Next to Croatia, still not the same. (Imagine saying that Dallas is in Canada.)
From what my friends from that area tell me, divorce rate is the consequence of strong tradition and patriarchal views. You do not leave. Ever. You get married, and then you suffer the hand you’re dealt. Women are not equal to men, the man has the last and often only say in the house, you shut your mouth and do as you are told if you are a woman, often your mother in law is your supervisor and dictator, since tradition says that you live near if not with her, and the son obeys the father until he dies. Sometimes you don’t even get to choose your spouse. (Yes, it still happens.)
I am not saying there are no happy and healthy marriages, but I am saying that I know more than a few unhappy ones from that area, and not unhappy for superficial reasons.
I am also not saying that leaving husbands like they are bad meals is a good thing, I believe that marriage should be well thought, but then forever, but the extent to which ‘for better or worse’ is taken in that area is a bit much.
My grandmother was from an area near the one mentioned in the article, with similar attitudes. From age 7 she taught me that the only purpose of a women is to make the man’s life easier and better. Her husband, my grandfather, did not even allow her to phone her family when they moved, let alone visit them, abused the whole family, and she never doubted him.
That said, I think that the tradition of kissing the cross is nice, to remind you that you two are not alone in the marriage.
