Doc Martin on PBS

  • Thread starter Thread starter gam197
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gam197

Guest
Anyone catch this series/

I don’t watch regularly but did watch the episode where his wife(girlfriend) has left and the mention of Doc Martin having homosexual tendencies brought up.

However it is brought up in the vain of Doc Martin having a horrible mother. She is in the episode and is indeed a terrible mom in that he does nothing wrong and she is abusive. It is mentioned that homosexual tendencies often stem from a troubled family life.

This is kind of interesting because I can’t believe that they will let his lovely wife(girlfriend) and Doc Martin’s love for this person go down in TV history. It doesn’t fit the show. Also prior to this we saw an unfaithful wife and later she married her lover. She was a main character and this was difficult enough to sell.

Anyone seen this show?
 
Anyone catch this series/

I don’t watch regularly but did watch the episode where his wife(girlfriend) has left and the mention of Doc Martin having homosexual tendencies brought up.

However it is brought up in the vain of Doc Martin having a horrible mother. She is in the episode and is indeed a terrible mom in that he does nothing wrong and she is abusive. It is mentioned that homosexual tendencies often stem from a troubled family life.

This is kind of interesting because I can’t believe that they will let his lovely wife(girlfriend) and Doc Martin’s love for this person go down in TV history. It doesn’t fit the show. Also prior to this we saw an unfaithful wife and later she married her lover. She was a main character and this was difficult enough to sell.

Anyone seen this show?
I watch it.

I don’t expect much moral content from it; to me, Doc Martin, being British, is what “House MD” would have been had our side lost in the American Revolution :)🙂

Great storyline and characters. And better than “House” in presenting the medical stuff.

ICXC NIKA
 
House seemed to want to be mean. Martin can’t seem to help it. And Luisa can’t seem to help being drawn to him. She want’s to change him and fix him. I think I like Al the best. Just a normal young guy trying to cope with that odd town.

On Netflix there is the pilate which is very different than the series.
 
to me, Doc Martin, being British, is what “House MD” would have been had our side lost in the American Revolution :)🙂
You mean being British rather than British with an American accent? 🙂
 
I love Doc Martin. Love the scenery, the characters, the story lines (most of them). It’s the sort of show the British do superbly.

Martin’s not gay, he’s had relationships with other women before and there’s been no hint at all that he’s even remotely interested in men. And you can tell that he’s absolutely insane about Louisa, he just does not know how to show it. Martin Clunes does a brilliant job in expressing the character’s longing for her through the most subtle facial expressions and body language. It’s a joy to watch him act.

Poor Martin has just had a horrible childhood and can’t seem to break free from memories of his parents’ abuse, especially his mother’s. She’s a hideous excuse for a human being. If a label needs to be put on Martin, it might be Asperger’s, his behaviour seems to mirror most of the markers for that.

Someone mentioned favourite characters…mine would be Mrs Tischel the pharmacist–she’s a hoot. And I love Bert, mainly because Ian McNeice is such a brilliant actor. I also love PC Penhale, the eminently clueless yet earnest police officer.

And on a more shallow note, I love Louisa Glasson’s wardrobe, if I were about 40 pounds lighter I’d want to dress just like her. LOL!
 
It’s filmed in Devon or Cornwall, I think, or someplace in the southeast of England - the sunniest part of the British Isles.

update: I checked - it’s Cornwall.
 
Yes, even more specifically, Port Isaac, which is called ‘Port Wenn’ in the series.🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top